follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 10-24-2014, 12:30 PM   #1
JoeC

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
volume too low w\ audio from Bluetooth

Anyone have any ideas why my volume is really low when using Bluetooth audio from my phone?

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 and a premium Spotify account (I mention that because I mostly just use Spotify with the BT).

I have the volume for BT devices all the way up on my phone. I can turn the volume on the headunit all the way up and it's still not very loud and doesn't even distort. That should be a pretty good indication how quiet it is since the factory sound usually distorts around 60% volume on HD FM radio for example. The sound quality doesn't sound very good either. very flat compared to HD radio and I'm using the same EQ settings for both and I'm not running an EQ app on my phone.

Same thing happens with Aha. just really quiet.

I don't have the issues that others have had with the phone connecting\disconnecting to the HU. it connects right away every time.

Last edited by JoeC; 10-24-2014 at 12:55 PM.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:55 PM   #2
brandonblt2
The Stig's African Cousin

Drives: 2014 wrb brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If youre using Spotify check to see if you have the lastest update and try turning up the volume on your phone before it connects to bluetooth. I have a HTC One and use Spotify Premium and the sound level is good.
brandonblt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 01:03 PM   #3
JoeC

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonblt2 View Post
If youre using Spotify check to see if you have the lastest update and try turning up the volume on your phone before it connects to bluetooth. I have a HTC One and use Spotify Premium and the sound level is good.
Just checked and there is no update available for Spotify for me so should be good there.

Do you leave the BT on on your phone all the time? I don't usually disable it. therefore, I start the car and connects.

I can try to disable it, make sure the phone volume is up all the way and then connect it.

Do you think it has anything to do with the volume level of the HU when the phone connects? I usually turn my volume down really low prior to shutting the car off so when the phone connects the volume of the HU is really low. Just thinking out loud so I'll have to see if that makes a difference...
Old 10-24-2014, 02:21 PM   #4
afoust50

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Turn media volume up on your Galaxy (not just bluetooth volume)
I use Spotify via bluetooth on my head unit and this puzzled me several times as well. Finally figured out I had to disconnect bluetooth, turn up media volume, then reconnect bluetooth. Hope this helps!
afoust50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:30 PM   #5
JoeC

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoust50 View Post
Turn media volume up on your Galaxy (not just bluetooth volume)
I use Spotify via bluetooth on my head unit and this puzzled me several times as well. Finally figured out I had to disconnect bluetooth, turn up media volume, then reconnect bluetooth. Hope this helps!
This actually helped a bit. The "media" volume was at about 80% so turning it up did help.

I'm noticing something else now too... When I switch tracks on Spotify, I use the HU controls and for about 1 second, it plays loudly and then I can hear the volume cut out about 25%. So something is hearing and controlling the volume like it thinks the level is too high... man, it's killing me...

I need to remember to plug in a 1/8" audio cable just to hear the difference in sound.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:11 PM   #6
JoeC

I was searching on Google, and thought I found someone else asking for exactly what I'm looking for...

It was this thread...
Old 10-24-2014, 08:53 PM   #7
mid_life_crisis

Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
Go to the Play Store and look for the free A2DP Volume app.
Never tried it, but it looks promising.
mid_life_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:47 PM   #8
brandonblt2

Hmm do you have any background apps running on your phone? Try closing them and have you tried just playing a standard song saved to your phone not through spotify, if so is that at a normal volume.

Also are you streaming the tracks through Spotify or are they downloaded to your phone via Spotify so you dont need to stream them?
Old 10-25-2014, 07:56 PM   #9
kingnba6

Drives: 2015
i have the same problem with my iphone and the headunit. comparing the same song connected in both aux and bluetooth, the volume from the BT version is lower. i tried to do everything but couldnt find a solution. the volume difference is around 10 levels on the headunit volume adjustment.
kingnba6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:40 PM   #10
JoeC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mid_life_crisis View Post
Go to the Play Store and look for the free A2DP Volume app.
Never tried it, but it looks promising.
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it but unfortunately it didn't make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonblt2 View Post
Hmm do you have any background apps running on your phone? Try closing them and have you tried just playing a standard song saved to your phone not through spotify, if so is that at a normal volume.

Also are you streaming the tracks through Spotify or are they downloaded to your phone via Spotify so you dont need to stream them?
I tried killing all the apps that were running and open Spotify only but it still did it.
I am streaming the music so I'll have to try saving some music on the phone and see if it still does it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnba6 View Post
i have the same problem with my iphone and the headunit. comparing the same song connected in both aux and bluetooth, the volume from the BT version is lower. i tried to do everything but couldnt find a solution. the volume difference is around 10 levels on the headunit volume adjustment.
Do you have a BRZ or FR-S? I have a BRZ limited

It's so weird, a song will come on and for the first second, it's loud and then it quickly cuts the volume down as if the in car mic is messing with the sound... I have no clue.

On a positive note, while I was sitting in the car with the owners manual I took some time to finally figure out how to use the navigation system. It's not too shabby... it's a bit slow to respond but seems like it might be decent. I'll try it for while to see if it's better\more convenient than Google Maps on my phone...
Old 10-26-2014, 06:26 PM   #11
brandonblt2

I guess you could try deleting the bluetooth profile on your car and recreating it maybe that will fix it
Old 10-26-2014, 07:28 PM   #12
kingnba6

Drives: 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it but unfortunately it didn't make a difference.

Do you have a BRZ or FR-S? I have a BRZ limited
frs with touch screen unit.
kingnba6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:04 PM   #13
Figo

Drives: Vortech Supercharged FR-S
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

( White Tiger ) - FiGo's 車誌.
Figo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:57 PM   #14
JoeC

Ok, I think I finally got this fixed after deleting almost every single app and disabling almost every android function on my phone with no luck.

Then I went into the built-in equalizer settings in Spotify and changed it to a random (folk to be specific) preset. hit play and boom it worked as normal. Next I went into the EQ settings and turned the EQ off and it was still working as normal. Then I turned the EQ back on and it worked as normal for a couple songs and then back to the original problem. I just turned the EQ off and it seems to be holding working correctly.

So, that's it, turning off the Spotify built-in EQ seems to resolve the issue...

I'll report back to edit this post if the problem comes back.

Thanks again to all those that offered suggestions.