follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 10-27-2013, 08:55 PM   #2465
Gary in NJ

Drives: WR Blue BRZ, 240Z
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpit View Post
Mods on my BRZ are a Borla header and Perrin over pipe. Finally connected the relay and it works as advertised: arming switch turns on with the ignition.
Which make and model relay did you use?

Gary in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:56 PM   #2466
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in NJ View Post
My stock tune was knocking under boost around 4000 rpm, right at the torque peak. Mike had to dial back the timing in that range a few degrees to eliminate the knock.

After viewing the knock on the chart (knock that I didn't hear until it was pointed out) I was glad that I didn't cause any damage. It doesn't take long.

I would urge you to get a proper tune as soon as possible. My ECU has not been calibrated to return maximum horsepower, rather I requested Mike provide me with a safe tune that would provide maximum longevity. I gladly traded a few horsepower for a tune I can trust.

After watching Mike at work, I was also very glad that I didn't attempt to make changes myself. My tune was not expensive, but a damaged motor would be devastating to me. I really don't care to fool in areas where I don't have enough practical experience. I fully understand what has been changed in the ECU and why tables were changed, but that doesn't mean on my own I would make the correct decisions. Tuning is best left to someone you trust.
Thanks for the heads up.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:46 AM   #2467
jpit

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I used this relay from Radio Shack: 12VDC Coil DPDT Miniature PC Relay
Model: 275-249 | Catalog #: 275-249
$4.97
jpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #2468
Thesandlord

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Has this been tested on an auto? I'm assuming the transmission should be able to handle the extra power fine, but would the stock tune work?
Thesandlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #2469
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
Has this been tested on an auto? I'm assuming the transmission should be able to handle the extra power fine, but would the stock tune work?
Rob has a local guy that will be testing on a auto in the next weeks possibly. It should work the same but then again auto have a lot of special things going in in gear changes that we manuals don't have to deal with. I think all the other FI options need a special tune for auto in some way or the other. Its going to be really fun seeing a auto shifting under boost.... Should be pretty damn fast

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:09 AM   #2470
Pug
Atoning Unifex

Drives: '13 BRZ Premium, WR Blue
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty959 View Post
I feel like I'm still missing something. Doesn't the wires to the voltage meter, which also houses the switch, already get fed through the sound tube? Therefore, its right under the glove box. All you have to do is cut the two wires, solder a wire to each cut side (so 4 total) and run those up to a relay in the glove box. There is no need for the position of the break to be near the control box, all that needs to happen is to have a break somewhere in the line to the voltage meter.
You would only need 10 feet of wire tops, which is a grand total of about $1 worth of wire.
This is exactly what I have in my setup: https://github.com/jcjones/phantom-s...vanced-monitor

The relay is in a project box in the glovebox and is enabled 10 seconds after the accessory power comes on. It's been perfect for the last 5 weeks.
Pug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #2471
mid_life_crisis

Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
Rob has a local guy that will be testing on a auto in the next weeks possibly. It should work the same but then again auto have a lot of special things going in in gear changes that we manuals don't have to deal with. I think all the other FI options need a special tune for auto in some way or the other. Its going to be really fun seeing a auto shifting under boost.... Should be pretty damn fast

The electrocharger should just about make up for the lousy gear ratios.
mid_life_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:40 PM   #2472
fenton

Small update:

Took my car by Rob's shop yesterday to try a blow through maf design. Rob sourced a factory sized pipe for which we could mount the MAF. Unfortunately this aftermarket pipe caused our MAF sensor to be raised up about a quarter of a inch. While installing it we didn't think anything of it.... On first start the engine sputter to life and then promptly died.... This slight raising of the maf caused the car to not even run... We were not expecting such a small change to have such a large impact..... Back to the drawing board .

All in all it was a learning experience and Rob is now looking to make a housing that will be a factory replica as far as dimensions go.

Once we get a blow through maf working with a MAP boost stop it should help any of those people wanting to run the ESC on stock tune. It will also help to really fine tune with ecutek and brz edit with IAT being post compression. The blow threw maf will also get rid of some of the false maf reading we are getting very low in the rpm range.

So for anyone thinking I only post the good... This is a little road block we ran into

As always... Stay tuned for further updates and developments.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to fenton For This Useful Post:
Bu-Tang (10-30-2013), DAEMANO (10-29-2013), jpit (10-29-2013), s2d4 (10-30-2013), SloS14 (10-29-2013), Sojhinn (10-29-2013), WatchmaN (10-31-2013)
Old 10-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #2473
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
Small update:

Took my car by Rob's shop yesterday to try a blow through maf design. Rob sourced a factory sized pipe for which we could mount the MAF. Unfortunately this aftermarket pipe caused our MAF sensor to be raised up about a quarter of a inch. While installing it we didn't think anything of it.... On first start the engine sputter to life and then promptly died.... This slight raising of the maf caused the car to not even run... We were not expecting such a small change to have such a large impact..... Back to the drawing board .

All in all it was a learning experience and Rob is now looking to make a housing that will be a factory replica as far as dimensions go.

Once we get a blow through maf working with a MAP boost stop it should help any of those people wanting to run the ESC on stock tune. It will also help to really fine tune with ecutek and brz edit with IAT being post compression. The blow threw maf will also get rid of some of the false maf reading we are getting very low in the rpm range.

So for anyone thinking I only post the good... This is a little road block we ran into

As always... Stay tuned for further updates and developments.

Question: By moving the maf did you guys just fill the old hole on the stock intake?

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Old 10-29-2013, 06:52 PM   #2474
fenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
Question: By moving the maf did you guys just fill the old hole on the stock intake?
Yes. We also tested plugging the pcv to see if it was because of a vacuum leak... No such luck though.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:28 PM   #2475
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
So we put my car on the dyno without a tune. I don't have any pictures or graphs to post because I don't feel like our speed run was an accurate depiction of what is actually being produced.

So I am going to wait until we receive all the required parts that we need for the dyno and posts all sorts of graphs and pictures for all to see.

As for my review of the FTS. Wow this is really how the car should of been from the factory. And I have strong feeling this is how the car is going to feel when they release the STI version of the BRZ.

As for the power we are not talking about "put your back against seat and watch my face go all Jeremy clarkson by the forces being applied to it." But rather, we are talking about a pretty hefty gain in power and torque when the system activates. You can definitely feel it activate and I love the sound it makes when you go off the throttle.

Rob, you made a badass little system here. I can't wait to test this with e85 and a tune.

It looks like @ shiv@vishnu and @ robert@vishnu want to get their hands on this car. We just need to work it out.

I'll add more later!
Any further impressions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:35 PM   #2476
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
Any further impressions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
I've actually held off utilizing the FTS for the last few days after Gary brought up the knock without a tune. I've been driving my BRZ just not activating wot. I either need toma to open up the tune file. Or get my ass up to San Francisco.

Installed Mods:
Old 10-30-2013, 12:39 AM   #2477
jpit

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
After driving with the ESC and tune for 10 days it's my opinion that this model is just about ready for production. The one little problem I had was the arming switch not turning off with the ignition (and the possibility that you could drain the starting battery) but that problem was solved. Other than that the BRZ drives normally until you hit wot and the car takes off. A much greater boost than you get with vtec on a Honda. It does move you back in the seat and tells you immediately that there is something different about this car. My gas mileage seems to be identical to what I was getting before the installation. The drag reduction works seamlessly and never even notice that it is operating. Absolutely no complaints.
jpit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jpit For This Useful Post:
bfrank1972 (10-30-2013), Bu-Tang (10-30-2013), DAEMANO (10-30-2013), enouf (10-30-2013), fenton (10-30-2013), Gums (10-30-2013), Mr. (10-30-2013), Pug (10-30-2013), Robftss (10-31-2013)
Old 10-30-2013, 12:49 AM   #2478
paulbagz

Drives: 2014 Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Have spent hours late at night reading through this thread, has been really interesting to see what can be achieved with this "Electro" Charger.

Keep up the good work guys.

-PB
paulbagz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to paulbagz For This Useful Post:
Bu-Tang (10-30-2013), fenton (10-30-2013), Sojhinn (10-30-2013)

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive