follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-10-2012, 02:51 PM   #1
cwik

Drives: 1st NA BRZ, 2007 GSX-R 600
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation My WRB BRZ is delivered!

FT86CLUB Homepage Featured Story

Hi all, I just got an email from my dealership (Carter Subaru in Ballard) and my BRZ apparently just arrived!

I'm trying to see if I can get out of work early right now and get some of the paper work done. I'll bring my camera when I do head over.

UPDATED!:

Here's a few pictures I snapped right after I got it home (sorry, they took off the window sticker). Time to head out for dinner... and some more driving. Initial impressions: this thing is a little growly fun-maker! A bit louder than I thought, and I really like it. Tight handling, linear power across the whole RPM range. Barely got to drive it so I don't have much else.

BTW, I don't know whose eclipse that is, but it looks a bit bigger in real life.

Name:  cwik1.jpg
Views: 12674
Size:  240.6 KB

Name:  cwik2.jpg
Views: 95430
Size:  246.1 KB

Name:  cwik3.jpg
Views: 11519
Size:  250.1 KB

Name:  cwik4.jpg
Views: 11580
Size:  202.7 KB

Let me get around 100 miles before I start to put my all of my thoughts into words.

My initial impressions are great. Let me share some very basic info before I write a more full review.

Exterior

I was worried after ordering my car with the chrome fender trim for a few reason. First off, and most obvious in my opinion, was that I was afraid it would either look too blingy (ie, why is there chrome on a sports car?!?! This ain't no cadillac of old) or too cheap (ie, the silly 3-hole "vents" you see people put in that general region on cars that have a KBB value of $4000). Secondly, I was worried since I saw very few people on this forum comment or admit to ordering it. I'm happy to say I love it. I'm sure some don't like it, but I don't regret it at all. I don't think it's too much having that, fog lights, and the day time running lights.

I'm also really glad I got world rally blue. After seeing some of the initial reviews with the light silver, I was worried that a lot of the lines would be hidden with such a loud color. The pearl finish definitely gives it some distinctive lines, far more than I could tell when I saw a red pre-production one at a dealership a few weeks ago. It's definitely a unique color compared to the "safe" color palette of most cars you see on the road.

The wheels are great too. If you've seen the pre-production models in real life, you know what I'm talking about. I was not crazy about them from the pictures I've seen, but they're a *lot* darker in real life.

From my basic inspection, the body panels all line up, and there's really nothing I could find wrong with it. I will mention that I did see quite noticeable orange-peeling with the paint. I think it's probably uniform across the car, but I really noticed it on the back fenders when climbing into the car.

To anyone who has not been around a car with keyless entry, it's pretty cool. I'm sure the effect may wear off after time, but I don't think it will ever completely wear off .

Interior
No surprises here. The pedal is indeed the smaller one that someone pointed out in another forum post (ie, the bottom of the pedal does not stretch towards the brake pedal). I was surprised that I wasn't over powered by "new car" smell . I suppose that's because there's not too much leather (the seats have alcantara, the soft dash material is rubberish and not leather, etc.).

The seats are fantastic. I absolutely love how they hug you. I'm a pretty skinny guy, and 6 feet tall. To be comfortable, I think I have the driver seat all the way back (no leg room for anyone sitting behind me), and when going side to side, I have very little sliding in the seat. I'd imagine for more portly people, the seats should still hold you quite well, you'll just have a bit more pressure on your sides. The headrest is great too. It looks awkward in pictures, but it feels natural and comfortable.

I didn't play too much with the stereo, but am not very impressed with it. It's a bit slow, lacks the polish of any modern smart phone, but does its job. One thing I despise and will need to read the manual for is the iphone integration. I've got an iphone 4 paired to the car, and every time I leave the car, the ringer volume is either off or on the lowest setting (can't remember). I wish it would just leave it alone.

The key fob was a bit disapointing. My brother's S2000 key was very cool and textured, and my GSX-R600 key just looks damn cool. This on the other hand is all black plastic, no rubber buttons, doesn't have much weight to it. Good thing it'll be in my pocket 90% of the time due to the keyless entry !

The headlight leveling is pretty neat. It's got distinct selections (not free spinning, but falls into ruts, kind of like how most scroll wheels on computer mice "click"). Regardless of the "clicks", the headlights change their focal point smoothly.

My short drive
As I mentioned earlier, this things growls more than I thought. I couldn't really tell when the "sound tube" was working or not, meaning it's probably a very gradual change and not binary. I don't know if it will get old, but I really like the engine note. It doesn't sound like it's going to explode with rage and passion like some other cars, but I think it sounds very natural and fitting. I get the impression they weren't trying to make it all bark and no bite, nor were they trying to hide what it sounds like. At low RPMs, it's easy to have a conversation in the car with the passenger, but as you get closer to 5K, you'll have to raise your voice a bit.

The clutch and transmission impressed me. I find the clutch pedal has a natural weigh and movement... a bit on the lighter side, but like the sound of the engine, it's fitting. The shifter tight. It was easy to throw it between the gears, I had no questions as to which gear I had hit, there was a positive engagement, and decently short throws. I will mention that it was a noisier shifter than I'm used to. Of the dealers and cars that would let me drive their manual cars, I test drove a GTI, 370z, Mustang GT, and a 135i. Maybe I wasn't paying attention since it wasn't my car with the test drives, but I feel like the BRZ had the noisiest shifts (a "snick" noise). It wasn't a crunch, and it's not really that concerning to me, but just my observations. Of the cars I test drove, I found the 135i the best at having smooth shifts when letting go of the clutch. The 370z was the worst, and took immense consentration and practice to not get a hurky-jerky upshift from 1st to 2nd. I'd say the BRZ's smoothness is somewhere in between. I almost felt that the 135i was too easy to drive and must have beeing doing some magic between my hands & feet and the tires. I don't get that feeling with the BRZ. The BRZ seems fully connected, but maybe the lower power or lower weight means that you don't get the super jerky gear changes. It didn't bother me, but I should mention that gear shift lever vibrates a bit. I know this can drive some people nuts, but I don't mind. If I recall from my drive, you can *see* it shake a bit, but only if you're paying attention. On the flip side, with your hand on the lever you can definitely feel it.

I couldn't be more pleased with the handling. I took some really sharp low-rev 2nd gear turns which did not push the car at all, but felt solid! There's very little body roll, and I'm having troubles finding where they put all of the weight of the car! It didn't feel like it wanted to oversteer or understeer, it just felt like it went where I pointed the car. Take this with a grain of salt as I mentioned I wasn't pushing the car at all. It just felt planted. I found the steering to be really light in slow speed parking lot situations, but with some momentum, it's got a pleasant weight to it. Not sure if this is due to the electronics or physics, but I like the dual characteristics. My roommate (with a 335xi) commented on the steering when I was lane changing during our tiny stint on the highway. He said "this cars steering is impressive. It just goes. It doesn't think or roll or anything, it just turns. It's incredible really." It reminded me of the reviews I've read, where it just goes where you point it.

We've all read that since it has a lower center of gravity, the car didn't need to have its suspension incredibly tight. I'll trust the engineers on that, but it was a bit of a bumpier ride than I was expected... but I do know it can get a lot worse. It's not harsh or unbearable by any means, but you really do feel everything on the road. I'm a fan of the suspension. This truly gives you a level of feel for the road that I haven't really found in the cars I test drove.

To be honest, I have a hard time not smiling while driving this car. The engine alone does not put this smile upon my face. I remember test driving the 370z, and planting my foot to the floor (wasn't my car :P) and grinning like a fool with how much oomph was available. I haven't really trashed the engine yet, but I've got a pretty good idea what to expect. It's a solid engine, and I like its predictable linear power. As I mentioned above, it makes an echanting burble. It feels spritely, not overpowered. And to be frank, I couldn't be happier (ask me again in a year). To re-iterate what we've all read, it's great to be able to drive a car at its limits, rather than barely tap what's available. It means I get to have more fun by being more engaged, squeezing what I can out of it, and focusing on technique rather than brute force. I'm not saying the engine is weak or the low point of the car, I'm merely saying that other cars have better straight line performance for roughly the same money. But seeing how adamantly we're all following this car's launch, I don't think I need to convert anyone on the joys of twisty roads.

Driving around downtown Seattle and my parking garage which has a medium grade to it, I didn't hear any scraping noises. Its ground clearance is decent, but I suspect it's lower than most cars I'm used to. I'm glad to see it's probably not going to be a problem for most people.

Wrap up
This went on longer than I expected. A lot of the reviews are saying this car is "balanced". I totally agree, especially at the price we're paying. Yes, there's faster cars, cars with better interior quality and luxuries, but we're paying for a sports car, and I think Subaru delivered with flying colors. This isn't a rip-and-snort kind of car, but that's not what I was looking for. It's a small, back-to-basics sports car. My word is "fitting". The interior is fitting for a car of this price. The playful/maniacal look of this car is fitting to its handling characteristics. If it looks more brute like, I'd expect it to go quicker in a straight line, but instead it's fitting. The grip and weight of the clutch is fitting for a car of this weight, and the feel it's trying to achieve (and succeeds imo). The engine sound is fitting; it's got nothing to hide, yet it's not obnoxious. The engine characteristics are fitting too. It's got enough power to kick the backend out in turns (from reviews I've read, not personal experience yet), but not enough to get you on the front page of jalopnik or autoblog with your car torn in half after striking a tree.

My roommate has a manual 2011 335xi. He's been driving me around a lot lately and I really started to second guess my pre-order. I thought that since I could afford his car, why wouldn't I get it while I'm young? It's got some surprisingly aggressive pick-up, felt stuck to the road, makes me feel like I'm at the intersection of luxury and sport, and I dig the styling. But after picking up my car, it just feels that much tighter, and so much smaller. It feels like it was built with a single purpose in mind, which I interpret as putting a smile on your face and trying to make you giggle like a madman. It does this by being comfortable with itself as "just a sports car", and not spiralling into an identity crisis like other cars.

My car feels raws, which is exactly what I was hoping for. Unless you're power-hungry or getting beaten at stop light drag races gets under your skin, I have a hard time seeing anyone being disappointed with this car.

Hopefully the pre-ETA delivery of BRZs is a trend that continues for all of you, but in the mean time I'd suggest getting your loan & insurance stuff prepped now so you're not running around to get it all done come game day! Nothing's worse than seeing your car, and not being able to drive it off the lot same day. This nearly happened to me.

I leave you all with a picture showing the size difference between my car and the 335xi (moving to another post so that you can read this review on a single page without scrolling)

Here's the size comparison

Name:  cwik5.jpg
Views: 13707
Size:  185.4 KB

Update: more pictures! Hopefully my amateur editing isn't too over the top.

This one I purposely put the saturation super high so you can see a lot of the lines and curves in the hood.

Last edited by cwik; 05-14-2012 at 03:37 AM. Reason: Adding more photos
cwik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 44 Users Say Thank You to cwik For This Useful Post:
bestwheelbase (05-11-2012), BMWDavid (05-14-2012), buzznasa (05-11-2012), Chauntalei (05-14-2012), DarrenDriven (05-14-2012), djdnz (05-11-2012), dookie11 (05-11-2012), dorkymork (05-14-2012), Dr.Science (05-11-2012), ducks (05-11-2012), engee (05-10-2012), ESBjiujitsu (05-11-2012), fernan2 (05-11-2012), Fly Guy (05-11-2012), FoolCyclist (05-10-2012), ft86Fan (05-11-2012), grst1 (05-10-2012), Guff (05-11-2012), Ice_Man (05-12-2012), Jayde (05-10-2012), knoxviue (05-11-2012), kwood9000 (05-10-2012), Lighting Red (05-10-2012), Lordharding (05-11-2012), makalaka (05-11-2012), MannyO (05-11-2012), meWant (05-14-2012), NWIguy (05-10-2012), pizzahead20 (05-11-2012), Rampage (05-11-2012), Sc0ob_do0D (05-11-2012), Scooby South (05-10-2012), Snoopyalien24 (05-11-2012), speedracer38 (05-14-2012), Starscream15 (05-11-2012), StarsGarrador (05-15-2012), Subaruwrxfan (05-11-2012), Subie (05-10-2012), Sushi (05-14-2012), SVTSHC (05-11-2012), Tainen (05-11-2012), Turbowned (05-11-2012), Verge (05-11-2012), ZetaVI (05-11-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #2
hNt

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limted 6MT Black
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
*shits pants*

that's awesome! congrats! of course fill us in when you get a chance

btw what color/trim/tranny? any options?
hNt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
FoolCyclist

Drives: SWP BRZ Limited, MT
You Bastard!!!
FoolCyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FoolCyclist For This Useful Post:
dookie11 (05-11-2012), grst1 (05-10-2012), knoxviue (05-11-2012), StarsGarrador (05-10-2012), Subie (05-10-2012), Vlad (05-10-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 02:54 PM   #4
Kimsey47

Drives: 2016 STI DGM
Thanked 1,460 Times in 662 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Congrats! Don't crash while trying to look through that huge grin on the way to get it!
Old 05-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
cwik

Drives: 1st NA BRZ, 2007 GSX-R 600
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hNt View Post
*shits pants*

that's awesome! congrats! of course fill us in when you get a chance

btw what color/trim/tranny? any options?
BRZ limited
World Rally Blue
Manual transmission
auto dimming mirror with homelink buttons, wheel locks, and chrome fender trim
cwik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cwik For This Useful Post:
hNt (05-10-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 02:59 PM   #6
Lighting Red
Habitual Line Crosser.

Drives: ^ Two of my favorite things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwik View Post
Hi all, I just got an email from my dealership (Carter Subaru in Ballard) and my BRZ apparently just arrived!

I'm trying to see if I can get out of work early right now and get some of the paper work done. I'll bring my camera when I do head over.
That's not fair!!! You only have six posts!!! Bastard!!!
Linseal (05-11-2012), StarsGarrador (05-10-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 02:59 PM   #7
Tainen

Drives: First SWP BRZ-L
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Calling my dealer now to see if I got mine too.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:04 PM   #8
Tainen

Drives: First SWP BRZ-L
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
nope... and my ETA got changed back to the 18th. hmm.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:06 PM   #9
Kimsey47

Drives: 2016 STI DGM
Thanked 1,460 Times in 662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainen View Post
Time to change the signiture block...
Old 05-10-2012, 03:06 PM   #10
pithy_logorrhea

Drives: 2007 STi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainen View Post
At least you have an ETA!! Some of us are left in the dark.
pithy_logorrhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #11
NumbersGuy

Drives: Nissan
Wow, congrats on the car! Enjoy it for all of us!
NumbersGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #12
zoomzoomers

Drives: 2013 Subaru SWP BRZ Limited 6AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighting Red View Post
That's not fair!!! You only have six posts!!! Bastard!!!

Congrats!
Man Law#17:A man in the company of a hot, seductively dressed, woman MUST remain sober enough to fight!

MODS: AVO tubes + filter, Cusco (F) strut brace w/ MC brace, Perrin CBE, Subaru OEM trunk tray, Grimmspeed front license re-locator & hood struts and Beatsonic rear cam.
zoomzoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #13
NWIguy

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwik View Post

Wow so early! But anyways congrats!
NWIguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #14
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Holy crap dude! That's awesome! Arrived at the dealer or at port?

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz forum, brz forums, subaru brz forum, subaru brz forums