follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-12-2022, 07:23 PM   #15
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Cost.
Old 07-21-2023, 09:32 AM   #16
kcratos

Drives: minimalist
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillslow93 View Post
Hey ya'll

I know me and a few other guys on here were having the hardest time with ACT clutch lockout at a stop and maybe a year ago there were a few threads of people trying to come up with a solution.

My local shop installed mine w/ flywheel and after about 1000 miles I started having terrible lockout AND lock-in (I don't know if thats a thing but when parked a few times I couldn't pull the shifter out of 1st and the car would actually idle forward with the clutch pedal all the way down)

anyways, the clutch came back out (at the same shop) and was sent in for warranty. ACT guaranteed me everything was fine and the shop put it back in. well another 500 miles later and the same problems came up. it was basically a nightmare to drive the car and I would have to sit at red lights with my foot on the clutch and the car in gear because if I was in neutral it was basically a 50/50 shot that the car would actually go into gear when the light turned green and just generally terrible.

After talking to the shop and getting no where and researching on the forums I had many people swear it was ACT problems, while more experienced guys (shouts out CSG) told me it was likely poor install.

Last labor day I bit the bullet and on jackstands in my garage I yanked out the tranny and did a full uninstall/reinstall. I used the OS Giken alignment tool ($90) and made sure I took my time greasing everything, torquing all to spec, and just giving it the proper attention. Up until that point I had only done engine work and never dropped a transmission out of a car before but felt like I could handle it.

I don't know WHAT that original shop did or what caused other guys on here to have issues, but we are 6 months removed and the car has another 2k miles. I am happy to report the clutch is behaving exactly as advertised and I have absolutely no problems with lockout or grinding. I am frustrated knowing that any damage caused to my gearbox from the improper installation was entirely avoidable but at this time last year I was contemplating buying a whole new clutch setup and just moving on with my life. The ACT clutch is handling the power beautifully (Full JDL Turbo setup with all the bells and whistles)

If you are having problems with lockout and other issues I would recommend the following

1) OS Giken alignment tool
2) Grab a friend and a six pack
3) Re-install the clutch and pay extra mind to the details

Good luck!
I have the same issue for 3 years now I learned how to drive/live with it. It becomes harder to shift in summers even worse when running AC. Multiple shops told me to just replace to OEM but I want to have a harder press on the clutch. and going back to OEM would feel like a failure like I'm not solving the issue here. I want to understand why its not working. and fix it so the weight off my shoulders would lift. Parallel parking is a hassle since it would not go in reverse and It feels like the clutch is still spinning and doesn't want to catch the gear. When on traffic lights i tend to shift to 3rd 4th then to 2nd then 1. Playing and praying with it so that it would slide into 1st. It becomes a ritual of some sort. I get occasional honks from behind when I get hard time to get it into gear. /cry
The clutch I have is :ACT XT Street Clutch Kit (Normal FW) with Verus Forged 4130 Clutch Fork
I believe its installation issue. If you get a chance can you describe in detail what you did exactly. I would really like to get additional information of how you solved the issue. What geese, where did u greese it and what torque spec you used and where?
kcratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 02:15 PM   #17
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,520 Times in 18,921 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcratos View Post
Multiple shops told me to just replace to OEM but I want to have a harder press on the clutch. and going back to OEM would feel like a failure like I'm not solving the issue here.
Don't destroy your transmission with a shitty clutch. Do this.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77390
Old 07-21-2023, 06:30 PM   #18
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Really just get over it.
Get rid of the ACT and get on with life. You won't believe what a great car this is if you give it a chance.
No reason to live like a refuge!
3 years? Really?
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WNDSRFR For This Useful Post:
Jdmjunkie (07-21-2023), NoHaveMSG (07-21-2023)
Old 07-21-2023, 08:59 PM   #19
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,132 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
That slave cylinder mod is a thing of beauty. Sold a few people now on getting one after a test drive
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RToyo86 For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (07-21-2023)

Tags
act, clutch, lockout