follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 10-09-2014, 04:48 PM   #1
JoonPrime

Drives: 2015 Limited series all white brz
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
strange fluttering sound at high rpm for SC

Hey you guys a question for you as its got me a little worried.
-ive recently gone FI with a kraftwerks SC courtesy of the gentlemen at r/t tuning. I absolutely LOVE it and couldnt think of ever going back, in fact i wanted to get it custom tuned for 93 gas + a header if my bankroll allowed later on.

but the important matter at hand.....and the reason its got me a bit worried is that its only started happening since yesterday. when im driving a bit above the 4500-6000ish rpms, the engines starts to make this weird sound, like a tag fluttering in the window !

is this something to be worried about? i knew going FI had some..possible repercussions..but with the tune so weak i figure my car would have to last longer then just over a few hundreds of miles!
couple notes of my driving habits:
1) most of the driving was done on the highway between 2.7k-3.5k cruising.
2) the only times the car was really punished were for periods less then a minute. (redline from 1-3 and then stopped)
3) the hundreds of miles is closer to around 1200 miles.

is there something i can do to check for damage? should i be very concerned?? thanks in advance guys!
JoonPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:57 PM   #2
zoth

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium Dark Gray Metallic
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonPrime View Post
Hey you guys a question for you as its got me a little worried.
-ive recently gone FI with a kraftwerks SC courtesy of the gentlemen at r/t tuning. I absolutely LOVE it and couldnt think of ever going back, in fact i wanted to get it custom tuned for 93 gas + a header if my bankroll allowed later on.

but the important matter at hand.....and the reason its got me a bit worried is that its only started happening since yesterday. when im driving a bit above the 4500-6000ish rpms, the engines starts to make this weird sound, like a tag fluttering in the window !

is this something to be worried about? i knew going FI had some..possible repercussions..but with the tune so weak i figure my car would have to last longer then just over a few hundreds of miles!
couple notes of my driving habits:
1) most of the driving was done on the highway between 2.7k-3.5k cruising.
2) the only times the car was really punished were for periods less then a minute. (redline from 1-3 and then stopped)
3) the hundreds of miles is closer to around 1200 miles.

is there something i can do to check for damage? should i be very concerned?? thanks in advance guys!
Not sure what you mean by tag fluttering. But Fluttering is caused by compressed air rushing back down to the blower when you let go of the gas pedal. Pretty much normal IMHO if it's not to much and only happens at the higher RPM's close to redline and letting go of the gas.

FYI: we don't have BOV we have a BPV
Moto-East Flex-Fuel Kit (Almost running 100% E85 all the time)
DW 700 cc Injectors-Tune by (Moto-East)-KW Oil Cooler
zoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:45 PM   #3
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Can you record a video of the noise? If you can hear it windows up, then it should be crystal clear on a phone video.
CSG Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:07 AM   #4
Freeman

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Any other mods done to the car?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 02:17 PM   #5
KraftWerks

Drives: Kraftwerks BRZ
Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Are you partial throttle in those RPM ranges or full WOT?

If you're at a partial throttle value in an area of the band that is seeing boost, the BPV will open to release pressure and could sound as if it were 'fluttering.' If you're WOT, you should not hear any release until you've shifted and the BPV opens to relieve pressure during that suspension of load between shifts.
KraftWerks is offline   Reply With Quote