follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 05-25-2018, 07:08 AM   #1
cueball89

Drives: 23 BRZ 15 Impreza
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Autocross, wet vs dry times?

Three of the four events I've done this year have been wet in the morning and dry in the afternoon. What's a good delta between wet and dry runs in autocross? I want to know if i'm pushing hard enough in the rain. I have about a 4 second difference between my wet/dry runs. I know wet is ambiguous and highly variable. Wet pavement no standing water are the conditions I've seen this year. Car is DS BRZ on new RE71R's course lenght has been in the 50-60 second range.
cueball89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:46 AM   #2
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
I just reviewed data with drivers I know to be particularly good in the rain and see a 4-5 second delta on a high 50 second course (dry).

C
Old 05-25-2018, 08:47 AM   #3
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,890 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cueball89 View Post
I want to know if i'm pushing hard enough in the rain.
If you have to ask the question, you're not pushing hard enough
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
wparsons (05-25-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 08:48 AM   #4
Hailwood

Drives: 2022 GR86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm definitely not a top PAX driver, but I was able to get within ~2 seconds of my fastest dry time in the wet (full wet, but no standing water) on a ~40 second course at NCM several weeks ago. The steering and cornering grip were great, I just couldn't put power down very well coming off the corners.

That surface is fairly grippy in the wet, so I'm guessing that's a significant factor as well.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgSawA10Krk[/ame]
Hailwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:00 AM   #5
TrqlessWonder

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Quote:
Three of the four events I've done this year have been wet in the morning and dry in the afternoon. What's a good delta between wet and dry runs in autocross? I want to know if i'm pushing hard enough in the rain. I have about a 4 second difference between my wet/dry runs. I know wet is ambiguous and highly variable. Wet pavement no standing water are the conditions I've seen this year. Car is DS BRZ on new RE71R's course lenght has been in the 50-60 second range.
If you're not struggling to hold onto it/hit your intended marks in a few spots, you left time out there.

Go for snapshot in time/pax position by run. We can't do that at CNY, but FLR and WNY probably can support it with live timing. You're good enough that there's no reason to not be out front at all stages of the day at a local, provided you're not taking cones and spinning and such.

Still up front? Probably pushing hard enough. See you next weekend.
#24 CS/CSR
TrqlessWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 01:04 PM   #6
cueball89

Drives: 23 BRZ 15 Impreza
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
I just reviewed data with drivers I know to be particularly good in the rain and see a 4-5 second delta on a high 50 second course (dry).

C
That's what I'm seeing from the first few events out here as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
If you have to ask the question, you're not pushing hard enough
Fair enough lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hailwood View Post
I'm definitely not a top PAX driver, but I was able to get within ~2 seconds of my fastest dry time in the wet (full wet, but no standing water) on a ~40 second course at NCM several weeks ago. The steering and cornering grip were great, I just couldn't put power down very well coming off the corners.

That surface is fairly grippy in the wet, so I'm guessing that's a significant factor as well.

Putting power down is definitely more challenging, I have to be a lot slower with the right foot. I find large sweepers to be much more difficult.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrqlessWonder View Post
If you're not struggling to hold onto it/hit your intended marks in a few spots, you left time out there.

Go for snapshot in time/pax position by run. We can't do that at CNY, but FLR and WNY probably can support it with live timing. You're good enough that there's no reason to not be out front at all stages of the day at a local, provided you're not taking cones and spinning and such.

Still up front? Probably pushing hard enough. See you next weekend.
It's been pretty consistent for wet dry pax placement except for last weekend at the depot. Mainly the focus rs's put a lot of time on me in the wet. I was a half second off in pax but I was able to raw time them in the dry. I was under driving a bit in the rain that day I think.

Definitely looking foward to next weekend!
cueball89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 03:03 PM   #7
TrqlessWonder

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Quote:

Putting power down is definitely more challenging, I have to be a lot slower with the right foot. I find large sweepers to be much more difficult.

It's been pretty consistent for wet dry pax placement except for last weekend at the depot. Mainly the focus rs's put a lot of time on me in the wet. I was a half second off in pax but I was able to raw time them in the dry. I was under driving a bit in the rain that day I think.

Definitely looking foward to next weekend!
Looking back at your fast time video for that, I'm not sure I'd put a lot of stock in getting dragged by an RS. That's still a drying surface, and there's a couple spots where they can let the skinny pedal do it's much more impressive thing, while you still have to ease in. And then have less than half the torque helping out.

But those few small wiggles you have on the back side are about the level I go for.

Just my thoughts, though. You're raw-timing me, too.
#24 CS/CSR
TrqlessWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrqlessWonder For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (05-25-2018)