follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-18-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
prighello

Drives: Mazda RX-8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Dealer Markup??

Will the dealers try to gouge us with hefty markups when the car is first released? I recall it happening with the 350z and it's occurring right now with the new Camaros (5k to 10k over MSRP).
prighello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:56 PM   #2
White Comet
Resident Skeptic

Drives: '04 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by prighello View Post
Will the dealers try to gouge us with hefty markups when the car is first released? I recall it happening with the 350z and it's occurring right now with the new Camaros (5k to 10k over MSRP).
Although history says anytime a new, desired car comes to market, it gets marked up, one major thing the toyobaru will have going for it, though, is that it is supposed to be an entry level car, so Toyota or Subaru would be nuts to let dealers screw with one of the very components of this car's appeal.

Time will tell, but even if markups occur, the solution is always simple:
a) wait it out or
b) search around for a good deal. There are too many dealers who will be selling this car for competition not to keep them somewhat honest.
White Comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:39 AM   #3
Black FT-86

Drives: NA Mazda Miata
Also, being an entry-level Japanese car, this will likely be built in large numbers. I doubt they'll trickle in if it does get built. They'll want to make money by selling a lot of them, not jacking the price up on a handful.
If the car market still hasn't recovered, Toyota should have plenty of spare production capacity to start turning these out in BIG numbers.
I know the MINI had a huge wait list, but part of the problem there was the huge amount of customization that could go into any car. I doubt Toyota / Subaru will go that route, since they've never really done anything like that before.
Black FT-86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:03 AM   #4
7shades

Drives: JZX100, AE71(gze)
I guess you guys do things a bit differently in the US, but down here the manufacturers set the maximum RRP, the only way the dealer is allowed to move is down
7shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:45 AM   #5
Treuno

Drives: FD5
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
It depends on how big of a following the car has. Generally the more fan boys, the higher the mark up.
Treuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:06 AM   #6
dante

Drives: Scion tC
Dunno, Toyota/Scion put the hammer down when the released the original Scion lineup, and if ever there was a case for price gouging, it was when the tC was released. When I bought mine, there were 500+ cars on the lot, and exactly 2 tCs. I got it out the door with no markup, and went on my way.

If it's a Toyota it might be slightly different, but they seem to have a pretty good handle on keeping their dealers in line (unlike GM).
dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:26 AM   #7
Tanuki
Turtle Factory

Drives: Mint M3
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Really just depends on the economy. There is always mark up though. Especially on a pre order. Usually you can negotiate with them to avoid paying the mark up but it will be there.
Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:50 PM   #8
prighello

Drives: Mazda RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dante View Post
Dunno, Toyota/Scion put the hammer down when the released the original Scion lineup, and if ever there was a case for price gouging, it was when the tC was released. When I bought mine, there were 500+ cars on the lot, and exactly 2 tCs. I got it out the door with no markup, and went on my way.

If it's a Toyota it might be slightly different, but they seem to have a pretty good handle on keeping their dealers in line (unlike GM).
I had the same experience when I bought my tC back in 2005. The dealer was trying to sell used 05's for more than MSRP. Thankfully, Scion had the no hassel pricing policy so I ended up ordering an 06 and waiting for it to be delivered. As far I know, the FT will be a Toyo thus not covered under the fixed pricing so we could see markups...I hope not.
prighello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:28 PM   #9
Ground N Pound

Drives: S2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treuno View Post
It depends on how big of a following the car has. Generally the more fan boys, the higher the mark up.
Yeap, so we gotta keep dealers from accessing this forum so they don't know the fanaticism there will be for this car

But yea if there's a ton of press coverage right before the car launches and especially if they start with slow production of the car, dealers will price gouge (that's just their nature).

Look at the Camaro for example, that car was so hyped up and so many people waiting and pre-ordering and then production on the car started slow, there were dealers marking up $5000 over MSRP for the car.

Hope that doesn't happen with this car.
Ground N Pound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:21 PM   #10
mkxr

Drives: honda fit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black FT-86 View Post
Also, being an entry-level Japanese car, this will likely be built in large numbers. I doubt they'll trickle in if it does get built. They'll want to make money by selling a lot of them, not jacking the price up on a handful.
Within the first year or two of production, this car will not be built in large numbers. The first year is a testing ground, to see how well adapted a new model will be, since it is something completely new. They will not set up multiple production lines for a new model like this, it's too risky, especially with the auto market taking a financial hit like everyone else.

When it comes to dealer pricing, even if they don't jack up the price of the car itself, they will pre-install $2500 worth of extra(junk) and tell you "this is the last one we have"
mkxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:43 PM   #11
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,051 Times in 8,326 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Reading this thread make me wanna beat some dealers.

Anyways like someone say, if that happens then I'll just wait til mark up goes down.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:53 PM   #12
S2KtoFT86
Resident Post Whore

Drives: 2022 WR BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I think I'll buy it anyway. It's just how life is I suppose.

S2KtoFT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:41 PM   #13
DanZilla

Drives: 05 New Formula Red Honda S2000
Send a message via AIM to DanZilla
Mark-ups may be the reason why it may take me while to buy the car
DanZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:14 PM   #14
casualsurfer

Drives: 2006 Porsche Cayman S
manufacturers have very little control over their dealers, unless you're talking about Scion & the (now dying) Saturn. i think there will certainly be a "market adjustment" from the stealerships initially, but how much can they mark up before driving the buyer to a 370Z or somewhere else? obviously market will react to demand the same way the new Camaro has been every chevy stealer's wet dream, but GM has also ramped up production of the Camaro and i'm sure for those of us who are patient, it'll eventually sell at MSRP or less. just remember that the wallet is in YOUR pocket.
casualsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote