follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 04-25-2013, 09:27 PM   #113
gonzo

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPxM0Dz View Post
I recently picked up the Kartboy and have yet to install it and will continue to hold off as I see there may be some vibration issues here also, deja vous

I feel a lot better now, thanks.
gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #114
phanguy

Drives: Scion FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
just a little update: i pulled it all apart. the lockout piece was already as far to the left as it could go... so i took a hammer to the piece(i took it out first of course) and flatted it a bit then grinded it a bit down where i smashed it because it wouldn't go into first or second because of how far it came out. so that is fixed. i also made sure to tighten everything up. the weird vibro sound still comes up when i'm holding onto the shifter in 2nd, but that's ONLY when i have everything put back together. i took it for three spins. first with just bare shifter, second with all shifter pieces together, third with all trim pieces/everything put back together. first two runs i couldn't notice the vibro sound. so it's kinda weird. it's not THAT big of a deal either. but it's there. *shrug* i'm mostly just glad i can tighten down my knob the whole way now.
phanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #115
blkwrxwag

Drives: DS FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I like the little click/clunk as it goes into gear. There is some horizontal movement when in gear, but I did not notice it until I read today's threads. It certainly does not bother me in any way.

I am getting a slight rattle around 5500+ revs in 3rd and 4th gears. At this point, I'm not sure if it's my aftermarket shift knob, or the fact that I forgot to put the washer behind the cotter pin back on. Until I check those things, I'm not going to blame the shifter.

If it does turn out to be the shifter, I don't care enough about it to take the shifter out again, as the many pros of the shifter certainly outweigh that slight negative.

I've put a few thousand miles on this shifter and it is by far the best thing I have done to the car in the last 10 months!
blkwrxwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #116
emutcfut

Drives: 2013 Argento
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanguy View Post
but also just wondering if you can answer me @tom@kartboy why is it that the shifter feels kinda clunky and needs time to get buttery? i believe you and i'm hoping it'll get that way soon, but i'm just curious as to why it is that way. is it specific to this shifter or would this happen no matter what shifter we would have put in? thanks!
I've had mine installed for about 3 weeks now. It was clunky for the first two weeks but now it think its broken in and feels as buttery as stock after a tranny flush and fill with pentosin. Definately happy with this shifter!
emutcfut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:47 PM   #117
tom@kartboy

Drives: American Made Shift!
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
I seem to remember it being a lil clunky with a modified OEM shifter. Its been almost a year with some sort of short shifter in there.
tom@kartboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #118
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I have a small amount of horizontal play in gear with the stock shifter. Wonder if that new Toyota part still has it.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:08 PM   #119
rmjjensen

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited in WRB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I had a slight vibration noise at first. I wound up tightening the shift knob a full rotation and it seemed to get rid of it (or made it less noticeable).
Old 05-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #120
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I installed my Kartboy shifter today. Big props to both @tom@kartboy for a fantastic design, and @F1point4 for the outstand how to.

Everything went as planned, with one exception. My cotter pin thingy (yes thingy, live with it) wasn't in properly from the factory. This is the second time in as many days I'm found something wrong from the factory. Any way, the pic actually fell into the rubber boot while I was pulling the boot back.

Also, I noted in the how to that OP had to adjust his reverse lockout plate all the way to the left, I did as well. This makes me wonder if Tom should reduce the diameter here. Or are ours just on the edge of the tolerance?
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:59 AM   #121
phanguy

Garage
so i've noticed that i can't shift into 2nd if i'm above 40mph. is this normal for anyone else?
Old 05-20-2013, 07:44 AM   #122
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
so i've noticed that i can't shift into 2nd if i'm above 40mph. is this normal for anyone else?
Yes. I hate trying to down shift quickly with this transmission.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #123
phanguy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
Yes. I hate trying to down shift quickly with this transmission.
i didn't have this problem with the stock shifter though... i mean i know i could change my tranny fluids and that should help smooth things out, but i thought i'd still be able to shift into 2nd even if it was super clunky to do.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #124
blkwrxwag

Quote:
i didn't have this problem with the stock shifter though... i mean i know i could change my tranny fluids and that should help smooth things out, but i thought i'd still be able to shift into 2nd even if it was super clunky to do.
No problems here. Are you sure you have the lockout plate as far to the left as you can get it?
Old 05-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #125
phanguy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkwrxwag View Post
No problems here. Are you sure you have the lockout plate as far to the left as you can get it?
i'm pretty sure. i'm going to check tonight when i get home, but what's even scarier, and i'm tagging @tom@kartboy to make sure he sees this, is that yesterday and today i had a major scary issue getting into first after being in reverse. i live on a pretty big/busy street so backing out in the morning is a pain in the ass. normally i can back out pretty quick, throw it into 1st and zoom off no problem. but yesterday and today it just would not get into 1st. i thought nothing of it yesterday since it was the first time. i thought it was a fluke. i had to freaking throw my body back and forth to force my car to move back towards the curve in fear of a car slamming into me from behind. i'm going to test that some more too when i get home tonight.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #126
blkwrxwag

Yup - that is also a symptom of your lockout plate not being properly adjusted. Simple fix.