follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 07-11-2012, 05:28 PM   #1
bneale

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Trouble Accessing Phonebook

Hello Everyone,

I seem to be having some trouble accessing the phone book on the stock head unit in my FR-S. Just to clarify things, I have an iPhone 4 with the most current iOS (5.1.1 last I checked) connected to my head unit via Bluetooth. I've downloaded the phone book into the head unit using the menus as well and should be good to go.

Something strange is happening though. I must be doing something wrong when trying to make a phone call. I'm not sure how, but sometimes I cannot access the phonebook after I press the "Call" button.

When I press call I get either 1 of 2 menus. The choices are different. When all is working normally I get the following choices:

Last Number
Speed Dials
Phonebook
etc...

Now keep in mind, I use the main volume dial to scroll through the menu and technically, phone book is not visable until you scroll. Here in lies the trouble I'm having. Sometimes its there, other times its completely missing.

Sometimes after I press call, I only get the first 2 choices. Phonebook isn't even on the list of choices. What exactly am I doing wrong? I don't think its anything to do with the bluetooth connection because almost always I'm listening to songs off my phone. Is something actually broken?

To get it to work properly, I have to mess around with the head unit. I normally hit "END", change to radio and back to bluetooth audio, even delete the phone and re-connect it again using the head unit. Sometimes I just have to hit CALL and scroll the other direction using the volume knob. But still, I can't find anything common nor can I figure out if I'm doing something wrong.

If I can't get the phonebook to show up, I ulimately have to reach for my phone and call the person by hand. I then make sure the car is set to the audio source and all is good.

This is really annoying though. It's almost like its not working as the manual suggests. That or I really am missing something.

bneale

Last edited by bneale; 07-11-2012 at 06:43 PM.
bneale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #2
Reason

Drives: Whiteout 6MT FR-S; E30 BMW's
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bneale View Post
Hello Everyone,

I seem to be having some trouble accessing the phone book on the stock head unit in my FR-S. Just to clarify things, I have an iPhone 4 with the most current iOS (5.1.1 last I checked) connected to my head unit via Bluetooth. I've downloaded the phone book into the head unit using the menus as well and should be good to go.

Something strange is happening though. I must be doing something wrong when trying to make a phone call. I'm not sure how, but sometimes I cannot access the phonebook after I press the "Call" button.

When I press call I get either 1 of 2 menus. The choices are different. When all is working normally I get the following choices:

Last Number
Speed Dials
Phonebook
etc...

Now keep in mind, I use the main volume dial to scroll through the menu and technically, phone book is not visable until you scroll. Here in lies the trouble I'm having. Sometimes its there, other times its completely missing.

Sometimes after I press call, I only get the first 2 choices. Phonebook isn't even on the list of choices. What exactly am I doing wrong? I don't think its anything to do with the bluetooth connection because almost always I'm listening to songs off my phone. Is something actually broken?

To get it to work properly, I have to mess around with the head unit. I normally hit "END", change to radio and back to bluetooth audio, even delete the phone and re-connect it again using the head unit. Sometimes I just have to hit CALL and scroll the other direction using the volume knob. But still, I can't find anything common nor can I figure out if I'm doing something wrong.

If I can't get the phonebook to show up, I ulimately have to reach for my phone and call the person by hand. I then make sure the car is set to the audio source and all is good.

This is really annoying though. It's almost like its not working as the manual suggests. That or I really am missing something.

bneale

You're going to laugh...

ready..... ?

... Stop the car, buttons will be availble.

It locks out the contact list and numbers when you're moving for safety (but still allows speed dial and call history)
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
cobrabyte

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2002 WRX
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason View Post
You're going to laugh...

ready..... ?

... Stop the car, buttons will be availble.

It locks out the contact list and numbers when you're moving for safety (but still allows speed dial and call history)
Yeah, this bit me, too.
cobrabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #4
bneale

Wow really?? That explains a lot actually. I couldn't figure out why when I was moving and I wanted to actually phone someone, nothing would appear. But at the next stop light, I could call as normal.

Thanks for telling me this. How on earth did you find this out?

Talk about a pain in the ass though. Now if I want to call someone while driving, it forces me to reach for my phone. Talk about ass backwards.

bneale
Old 07-12-2012, 05:32 PM   #5
Fenrir

Drives: Mazdaspeed 3
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bneale View Post
Wow really?? That explains a lot actually. I couldn't figure out why when I was moving and I wanted to actually phone someone, nothing would appear. But at the next stop light, I could call as normal.

Thanks for telling me this. How on earth did you find this out?

Talk about a pain in the ass though. Now if I want to call someone while driving, it forces me to reach for my phone. Talk about ass backwards.

bneale
Standard OEM head unit operation for years now. Any sort of unit with a touchscreen or GPS or any fancy features like handsfree has lockouts if you're moving. Mandated safety in the US (and probably other countries).
Fenrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #6
bneale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir View Post
Standard OEM head unit operation for years now. Any sort of unit with a touchscreen or GPS or any fancy features like handsfree has lockouts if you're moving. Mandated safety in the US (and probably other countries).
It seems so stupid though. Even if I leave my phone in the little holder to the left of the USB port, I can't even give it voice commands. The MIC just won't pick up my voice properly if I try the voice recognition option.

I don't want to have to mount my phone in some goofy way to make a phone call easily.

Right now I'm just going to stick to calling when stopped at lights / stop signs.

bneale
Old 07-12-2012, 05:43 PM   #7
Fenrir

Garage
That's exactly the point though. You shouldn't be messing with your phone while driving in the first place Add common numbers to speed dial, or just leave the phone tucked away, IMO.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
Reason

Drives: Whiteout 6MT FR-S; E30 BMW's
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The Mic for the voice recognition doesn't use your phones Mic.

It is on the ceiling behind the interior light (at least, for the FRS with the Canadian upgraded headunit) I'm a tall guy so I'm fairly close to it, but i've had zero problems with it. My Girlfriend however, it seems to hate. Unfortuantely voice recognition is very hit and miss.
Not sure if you looked into it but for myself, I Just program the speed dial. Once done thats 10 numbers that you can dial in three button presses.
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #9
bneale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir View Post
That's exactly the point though. You shouldn't be messing with your phone while driving in the first place Add common numbers to speed dial, or just leave the phone tucked away, IMO.
Understand for a moment that I agree with you. Keep this in mind. I don't really wish to be driving and talking at the phone at the sametime.

But handsfree calling is technically not illegal where I live. So in the odd times where I have to make a phone call while driving (again I really dont want to do this until I'm forced too), It shouldn't be a pain in the ass. Right now it actually forces me to pickup my phone if the person isn't on speed dial. Techically that makes my driving situation worse, not better!!

Do you see what I'm saying though? It's not exactly hands free anymore if you get above a specific speed. It becomes more hands on and in turn, puts the driver in a bad scenerio.

Futher more, I can't be the first person who's had this problem. Can you imagine how many FR-S owners are out there right now trying to use this system and are struggling with it? That to me is WAY more dangerous considering, its not clearly obvious that options are disabled at speed in the manual.

Think of it this way, if they didn't want you to play with the phone book because its "too distracting" or "too unsafe" then why even bother letting the driver control the stereo at all? Why not lock out all the controls above a certian speed? Why exactly is the line drawn at the phonebook?

It still doesn't make any sense to me. But it is what it is.

bneale
Old 07-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #10
bneale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason View Post
The Mic for the voice recognition doesn't use your phones Mic.

It is on the ceiling behind the interior light (at least, for the FRS with the Canadian upgraded headunit) I'm a tall guy so I'm fairly close to it, but i've had zero problems with it. My Girlfriend however, it seems to hate. Unfortuantely voice recognition is very hit and miss.
Not sure if you looked into it but for myself, I Just program the speed dial. Once done thats 10 numbers that you can dial in three button presses.
I have my Girlfriend set right now as the only speed dial. I'm still working out the other people and I haven't determined which I will setup yet.

I thought that was the MIC but I wasn't sure. My old Audi had something similar in the headliner but it was for the temp sensor. Not a MIC. On my way home today, I'll see if I can get it to work by talking more clearly at it. When I've tried to use it in the past, it never picks up my voice correctly.

bneale
Old 07-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #11
zoomzoomers

Drives: 2013 Subaru SWP BRZ Limited 6AT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Damn legal nannies I tell ya!

I just sold my '10 TL in preparation for the BRZ and it allowed you to access all functionality of the Navi while moving. You could have a passenger right? Duh!!! In either case, it's the legal nannies at work for most of these illogical things in most cars.
Man Law#17:A man in the company of a hot, seductively dressed, woman MUST remain sober enough to fight!

MODS: AVO tubes + filter, Cusco (F) strut brace w/ MC brace, Perrin CBE, Subaru OEM trunk tray, Grimmspeed front license re-locator & hood struts and Beatsonic rear cam.
zoomzoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:32 AM   #12
Fenrir

Garage
It's not really a question of legality. It's legal most places in the US to be on a hands-free device while driving. It's a question of safety. It's NOT more dangerous to have the controls locked out because you shouldn't be messing with them in the first place to even notice they're locked out. I understand you may have a passenger or whatever, but that's the nature of things. Blame the retard teenagers who can't stop texting and keep crashing into shit.

Plenty of cars DO lock out all stereo controls while up to speed, and you SHOULDN'T be messing with the radio while moving either. People do what people do, but doesn't change the fact that it's unsafe. IMO, nobody has a right to complain about it.

But that's all I got to say about this, unsubbing from thread