follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 04-19-2019, 10:32 PM   #15
Cookiemonster

Drives: '17 BRZ M6 & '17 Corvette Z06 M7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Get the license and experience, then the race car. Not the other way around.
Hence why I said if I get serious I'll get the license... Which is also why I figured banking off to autox within scca would be the xp part. After looking into it further, I'm not worried about NASA competition license and that level of racing for a bit.
Cookiemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:40 PM   #16
Cookiemonster

Drives: '17 BRZ M6 & '17 Corvette Z06 M7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
I was saying 20k car + 30k or more on mods. Although if modding to the level you are why not get a higher mileage cheaper one if your replacing so much?
And I wasnt asking why not a stang/vet. Just most people would suggest something like that and you have made up your mind between the 86/370.
You also said a drag car, but now switched to autox? You don’t really need 600whp for autox. But the 86 would probably be better starting platform for autox. A built engine/turbo pushing 400-450whp, tranny, suspension, brakes, weight reduction. And you’ll have a autox monster. If sticking to drag car a built 370 would be a beast.
Gotcha. I initially said I wanted the car to be primarily built for autox, but that I'd dabble with drag... Meaning that I wanted the ability to have the rear end take a hard launch at the strip every now and again and wasn't sure if the 370 would be more suited to that or if it, too, would need more beyond driveshaft axles like the BRZ.

Its definitely a tough order, I know. I really love throwing a car around and finding my limits with a setup, but I also love occasionally lifting the left foot and slamming the right down while punching gears. I know I can't have a 'best' autox while having a drag monster, that's not what I'm after. I guess I'm just wondering if the 86 platform can pull good 1/4 ETs/traps for it's power/weight at the goals I'm looking at, while at the same time being able to take advanced mapping from the motec ecu system with the proper tune to make it more suited for autox. Or, conversely, if the 370 is better suited for that kind of back and forth.

After doing more research, it does seem like building the VQ would be less expensive, but by much is hard to say.
Cookiemonster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2jz swap, 370z, brz