follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-14-2014, 11:32 AM   #85
EMS Guy
The cynic

Drives: An ambulance
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
I think the biggest difference to your LS is the FA20s VVTI or whatever acronym they like to use. It allows headers to be optimised a lot more than the fixed cam timing on an LS. I suspect if more of the headers available for the FA20 were tuned to "within 5deg of optimal cam timing" instead of just off the shelf tunes we would see some pretty good gains floating around the forum.
Some of the LS variants like the L76, LY6, LZ1 have variable cam timing as well. However, my LS3 did not. Still made for plenty of fun on the road and curves.
EMS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EMS Guy For This Useful Post:
Turdinator (08-14-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 11:51 AM   #86
ptuning

Drives: White FR-S
Thanked 1,003 Times in 305 Posts
Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMS Guy View Post

Well young man, that is great that ptuning (as I am under the presumption you work for said company) do your homework. Any manufacturer of a "quality" product SHOULD be doing their homework. With all due respect to you and you're employer, a cookie will not be rewarded for doing your due diligence as a "quality" or "developed" manufacturer. It is to be expected that you do research and development. Revisions are a good thing when and if mistakes are learned from and adapted to. After-all, if this where not true, we would be still cavemen and giraffes would have short necks etc. Adapt to survive is essentially Darwinism. Some of the "best" companies out there do this every few quarters with a new product. Ever hear of this little company called Apple? Or possibly Samsung? I am sure you have. These are prime examples of adapting with evolution. On the story of adaption, I will share some history for you about hot-roding you may not know.

You're probably too young to remember this, but back in the late 80-90s, a large connecting rod manufacturer was making rods for Nascar (Richard Petty endorsed) with an I-beam rod design that failed miserably. (Plenty of carnage on these very expensive race motors). They found the limitations of their design the hard way. The rod manufacturer revamped the rod design and went forward only to have another issue in the early 90s due to a rod bolt issue from the supplier. That didn't stop them either. The went to a different rod bolt manufacturer and continued on. They are still in business today producing fine products and designing the factory C6 Z06 rods for General Motors.

So moral of the story is that I personally don't care how many rodeos you have been down. If I feel that you have integrity, a quality, well made product and you say it does something and it does everything you claim it does, then you sir will win my sale. I am a relatively easy person to appease. I just do not like to be lied to or mislead.

Okay Paul,

BTW, this is Paul Oleandi from Dezod Motorsports, am I right? Did I spell your last name correctly?

I opted not to respond to your last post hoping that we didn't have to go here. Do you really think it's tasteful to go into another vendor's thread and post accusations about how we're trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes with our dyno "claims"?

I'm not too sure if you're aware, but the mods on this forum don't play around. If you're trying to secretly promote your new Dezod exhaust system by pretending to be an interested buyer, you're not going to get too far. This forum requires vendors to pay to play.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...ighlight=dezod

We already knew from the minute you kept badgering us about pics OFF the block you were just trolling our thread. We have nothing to hide. We just hosted this year's FT86 Expo. The header was on display for all to see, touch, and what have you.

BTW, Blown xA is our lead tech. He's not hiding a thing. Look at the signature at the bottom of his post.

- Toan
ptuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:39 PM   #87
kbye

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Man, I kept tabs on this thread for the gorgeous header but now...

kbye is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kbye For This Useful Post:
Mrc@ptuning (08-14-2014), Simpleviet (02-18-2015), twag4 (08-14-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 01:30 PM   #88
yomny

Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
PTUNING 4-1 Full T304 SS Equal Length Double-Slip Race Header (200+whp 93 pum...

Can we please keep the topic on subject. Couldn't even see if I got a reply or not to my question. I know it's bound to happen in every topic, someone drifting away to make a point completely irrelevant to the subject at hand but let's keep this for information on those INTERESTED on the part and not the theory or crap on these LS Engines and what not.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:40 PM   #89
Mrc@ptuning

Drives: S1000RR
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Let's all get back on topic!

MrC
Mrc@ptuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:30 PM   #90
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
How load is the 3 inch exhaust with the header? Any other vendor I'd be hesitant to ask for even a couple videos, take inside the car and outside, but given this is PTuning, is there any chance you did any dB testing?

How much power is lost going with a quieter, most likely 2.5 inch exhaust?
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:49 PM   #91
Celigts

Drives: 2014 Toyota FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Wait...The FA20 has vvti/vvtli? My 03 celica had this...and at like (if my memory serves me correct) it gave a power boost at around 5k rpm...This isn't seen in the frs...least it doesn't feel the same. Felt like a mini turbo kicked in. I'm confused...
Celigts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:11 PM   #92
yomny

PTUNING 4-1 Full T304 SS Equal Length Double-Slip Race Header (200+whp 93 pum...

Can this header be installed tune only with a stock exhaust. Would the header match the stock overpipe?
Old 08-14-2014, 03:13 PM   #93
yomny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celigts View Post
Wait...The FA20 has vvti/vvtli? My 03 celica had this...and at like (if my memory serves me correct) it gave a power boost at around 5k rpm...This isn't seen in the frs...least it doesn't feel the same. Felt like a mini turbo kicked in. I'm confused...
No it doesn't, it allows for timing change on the intake and exhaust valves but no lift variation of the actual valves via the cam lobe like vtec or vvtli on Toyota.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:19 PM   #94
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celigts View Post
The FA20 uses Subaru's version of variable valve timing, called AVCS. This is roughly equivalent to VVTI.

Your Celica (assuming it was a GTS) had variable valve timing and lift. This was known as VVTL-I.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:53 PM   #95
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Oh shit! I used to follow their posts on scionlife.com when I was driving my 07 tC. Your post reminds me of how badass their time attack tC looks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapOv3st3r View Post
Had me chuckling at that. They claimed championships in Time Attack two years in a row, that was fame enough for me to be sold on getting their turbo system for my tC. I've been a customer ever since, and I'm glad that they have pushed the envelope on the FR-S as I have one of those now as well as my tC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
Mrc@ptuning (08-14-2014), ptuning (08-14-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 03:56 PM   #96
SnapOv3st3r

Drives: 400whp Scion tC
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
For the sake of bringing this back on topic, I went ahead and deleted my previous comments. I want this Header PERIOD!
SnapOv3st3r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SnapOv3st3r For This Useful Post:
Mrc@ptuning (08-14-2014), ptuning (08-14-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 04:34 PM   #97
Alita

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
i really want to know what this header sounds like!
also... how do i make my car street legal in VA if i were to have this installed...

^ Click for build thread ^
Alita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:54 PM   #98
ptuning

Drives: White FR-S
Thanked 1,003 Times in 305 Posts
Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
How load is the 3 inch exhaust with the header? Any other vendor I'd be hesitant to ask for even a couple videos, take inside the car and outside, but given this is PTuning, is there any chance you did any dB testing?

How much power is lost going with a quieter, most likely 2.5 inch exhaust?
Sorry guys, back on topic now.

To answer the questions posted about sound. We'll have a dyno video clip posted by tomorrow. Our header and 3" header-back exhaust system, as is, will definitely be loud. We would have performed a sound level test using our db meter, but I think that this combination will be too loud for most owners.

We'll test our header with a 2.5" over-pipe and front-pipe when we get our first local customer cars in for installation and dyno tuning with the header. I honestly don't foresee any major power differences to our 3" test set-up.

Our intention was to dyno test our header with an exhaust system that we had on hand. We're considering potentially building a 2.5-2.75 inch header/over-pipe/front-pipe combo using the v-band that we have in place with our header. We may also look into creating a competitive SCCA STX Class tuned power package with a lightweight single exhaust system too.

- Toan
ptuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ptuning For This Useful Post:
buddy32 (08-14-2014), G-Man (08-14-2014), SnapOv3st3r (08-14-2014)

Tags
200hp na, 4-1 full, merge collector, ptuning, race header