follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 06-17-2021, 05:13 PM   #1
SidtheDriftKid

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2015 Scion FRS aka Urabe, avoiding drift tax and spending the money on TE37 knockoffs

Hello everyone, my name is Sid and holy gee...

...I have no idea how I got to this point.

Toyota and Subaru in 2013 and for the past decade have been chipping away at my conscience to pick up their new FR offering, in which to me, a 240SX owner, was extremely lucrative. In my efforts to coarse NissanUSA to try and introduce some sort of 240SX replacement, or even just some new cheap FR nameplate, I find myself betrayed, a man without a nation. Their reply: "People your age are absolutely into the Nissan Juke and want crossovers."

I am trapped in a closing era of my 240SX, hooked to it by nostalgia and tons of memories of many different track days, meets, car shows, and the world a 240SX can build around one individual.

This world has turned into a wasteland.

Squeezed by the phenomenon known as "drift tax" (there are too many different factors to point out) and the fact that my inner-Nissan enthusiast has completely outgrown my inner-drifter, it has become time to refresh my S13 and give it the refurbishing it deserves. IF I have the motivation, the S14 could get the same treatment. Regardless, I needed to find another car to take up the gauntlet and hopefully, maybe not completely fill the shoes, but to become the tool that would continue to help me enjoy and exercise my pursuit of getting better as a driver.

This brings us to present day. A time where Nissan just tried to shove a resculpted 370Z down the publics throat and made no play to literal and direct pleas to remake the Schassis or some cheap RWD car...or even kill off the CVT transmission...but that's for another day. At the announcement of the 400Z, I tried to quantify the want for one, but to no avail, purely because of how massive and how heavy the car is probably going to be. All the while, I touted the same thing since seeing an FRS: "If Nissan fails to bring a cheap and lightweight FR car any time soon, i will buy an FRS."

Along with the acquisition of my current job on the parts counter at the local Subaru dealer, the tuning market's rush to accommodate BRZFRS owners, and seeing the constant flow of them come in and out of the shop...I was able to build my credit up enough to snag up a quite tasty 2015 FRS, Raven in color, 6spd with 91k miles on it. Along with the extensive CARFAX history that came with it, it helped me build confidence in the fact that, "this is the one."

I enjoyed driving it for quite a while until the body roll was quite noticeable. Rowing gears just was not the same since the stock exhaust does a great job of muffling the car. The stock 215 Michelins were meager and left me wanting a bit more. OF COURSE the car could use a bit more power, but I did not want to fold right away and mindlessly toss the cheapest boost kit, turbo or supercharger, on the car. I do believe that this car was meant to take on the New ND Miata and stay in a niche for those that thoroughly enjoy having a nice blast through a nice wooded and windy backroad.

Prior to hopping on the internet and mass-clicking whatever add-to-cart aftermarket goodness I could find, I ran into a snag. You see, one of the huge upsides of working at the dealership, you get inside information, pertinent to stock or modded cars, whether it be from seeing it happen in front of your eyes in the shop, or word of mouth from one of the many tuner shops in the area. I had the inside scoop of not only the advice to avoid 2013's due to the valve spring recall, but if I could buy a 2015 or later model to avoid issues with things like the Variable Valve Timing Sprockets giving up the ghost, it would save me lots of heart ache. Long story short, the 2015 I purchased, even though it was done in caution to avoid such issues, the car threw a camshaft sensor code. I tried everything I could to battle the CEL as per the provided service bulletin: oil flush/oilchange, change offending oil control valve, and try to reset the computer. Thankfully, when purchasing the car I overpaid for the used car warranty which eventually covered the replacement of the ECU.

Anywho, my shift here at Subaru is coming to close and I need to button up the store for the night. I will continue at home with pictures and the summation of what else went on with my newly acquired 240...i mean FRS!
SidtheDriftKid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SidtheDriftKid For This Useful Post:
Arthur-A (06-17-2021)
Old 06-18-2021, 01:51 AM   #2
SidtheDriftKid

Some pics!

Name:  FB_IMG_1614015234028_LI.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  312.0 KB
So in stock form, the car is pretty well thought out. Parts seem pretty affordable and the seating position is perfect for me, 6'1" 290lbs. It came with a really sweet Kenwood head unit and what seems to be a factory option sub in the trunk, which in turn makes it perfect when paired to A/C in this hot summer. It's not highway star by any means but...

Name:  yes.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  285.4 KB
...enough was enough on the stock wheels and suspension. Since the car is taking up daily duties w/ occasional backroad fun, on go the TEIN Flex Z coilovers and a set of 18x9.5 +38 Avid AV06 wheels wrapped in 225/40/18 Federal 595 tires. I may snag up a set of 255/35/18 RE71R's later for a more competitive setup if I decide to hit more track events. Although the low profile and great suspension were doing their job to perfection, to help keep the car even more flat is a set, front and back, of Perrin swaybars. Later down the road, the addition of CUSCO strut tower bars may help tidy up the driving feel a bit. The coilovers have not left the middle setting, but adjustments will come and hopefully will swing closer to perfection.

Name:  20210617_184808.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  477.6 KB
Along with the fact that the stock exhaust does a great job of keeping the experience quiet, helping the FA20 breathe a little bit with an HKS intake pipe + APEXi drop in filter...

Name:  Inked20210611_180342_LI.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  394.4 KB
...along with an HKS catback exhaust may not net the greatest amounts of power, but definitely give the little FRS a small bump in power and the audible cues that help with keeping the car driving nice and smooth. Later down the road, after the warranty does expire and a tune is accessible without voiding said warranty, an HKS Equal Length catted header is in my sights and even before the header comes, a JDL overpipe/front pipe combo may be paired with the HKS single exit catback exhaust to try and free up some more ponies.

Name:  20210617_180424.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  377.8 KB
The interior received some small knick-knacks to keep life comfortable. JDM squash air freshener does a sweet job of reminding me of JDM feelings. Working at Subaru has its upsides. I got tired of looking at the faux textured pleather gauge visor and the faux plastic carbon fiber, dual piece dash inserts. From a 2020 tS, I was able to acquire the alcantara w/ baseball stitching visor and not entirely sure where from, but I was able to snag up a "leather" with red baseball stitching, which helps spruce up the feel in the car.

I have quite a bit more frontiers to go with this car, but I would love it if you guys came along for the ride!

- Sid H.

Last edited by SidtheDriftKid; 06-18-2021 at 10:55 AM. Reason: adding context to pictures
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SidtheDriftKid For This Useful Post:
Arthur-A (06-18-2021), beltax90 (06-18-2021), Lonewolf (06-18-2021), SexyPirates (06-18-2021)
Old 06-18-2021, 09:57 AM   #3
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Congrats! Looks well kept from the few photos. What mods did it come with that you're aware of?
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 01:50 PM   #4
SexyPirates

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Grats on your pickup!. What other parts are you thinking about swapping out? JDM Mirror?
SexyPirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 10:47 AM   #5
SidtheDriftKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzmitry View Post
Congrats! Looks well kept from the few photos. What mods did it come with that you're aware of?
Thank you Dzmitry! The car had small imperfections, which is excusable since its pretty close to the 100k miles mark. Owning a 240SX kinda made it easy for me to forgive the car.

As far as mods, it came stock. The only thing the car came with that wasnt original was the Kenwood headunit + backup camera, which has been amazing as hell. The bluetooth capability definitely makes the head unit worth it's weight in gold. Other than that, it was bone stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyPirates View Post
Grats on your pickup!. What other parts are you thinking about swapping out? JDM Mirror?
Thank you Sexy Pirates! JDM Mirrors!? i gotta see this. I'm still trying to figure out what small improvements I want to make. The leather dash piece and alcantara gauge visor were some of my favorite additions since it matches most of the black/red trim in the interior. I just want to avoid looking like the "add to cart" guy that eventually turns my car into the cookie cutter FRS in the area I live in.

kinda trying to avoid:

"oh...I see you're sponsored by amazon"

I've been quite jealous of my buddy who has his HyperBlue BRZ that got his front end torn off by a guy that wasnt careful with his work truck. He came to me at the Subaru parts counter and literally had me price out a kouki front end since the offender that tore his front end off, ended up paying for it all. So...yeah, Hyperblue Kouki BRZ does not look bad whatso ever.

__________________________________________________ ________________________

Is there any mods that made your FRS/BRZ experience completely different or better??

Engine swaps are on the table if/when the FA20 decides to give up, and boost would be nice, but I have a certain N/A car that kind of caught my attention that I will explain later in the next post.

I do have to say, even small things like the JDM Melon air freshener makes driving the FRS, quite a pleasure.

Last edited by SidtheDriftKid; 06-20-2021 at 10:58 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SidtheDriftKid For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (06-21-2021), SexyPirates (06-22-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 04:07 PM   #6
SidtheDriftKid

Mods list

So in the essence of my past project cars, this FRS is meant to daily drive, but when it is called upon, it's time to throw down!! Here's a small rundown of what's done so far and what the plan is going forward.

Engine:
HKS single exit catback exhaust
HKS intake tube
APEXi drop in air filter
planning to add:
JDL 2.5" front/overpipe dual resonated combo
HKS Catted Equal Length Header
ECUTEK (header and ECUTEK after my maintenance warranty expires)
Fluidampr harmonic balancer

Suspension:
Tein Flex Z coilovers 6kg/6kg
Perrin 19mm front swaybar
Perrin 16mm rear swaybar
planning on adding:
Cusco front and rear strut bars

Brakes:
Running on the stock ones that came from the dealership
Will Add:
Hawk HPS front and rear pads
Slotted and Drilled Rotors all around

Also saw a few dress up parts like Cusco's Alternator and AC Belt cover. Maybe if I ever do a bumper-off service, its certainly getting a new aluminum radiator.

And what say you guys about the AMAZON special front and sideskirt lips??

Last edited by SidtheDriftKid; 06-22-2021 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:25 AM   #7
Dzmitry

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidtheDriftKid View Post
So in the essence of my past project cars, this FRS is meant to daily drive, but when it is called upon, it's time to throw down!! Here's a small rundown of what's done so far and what the plan is going forward.

Engine:
HKS single exit catback exhaust
HKS intake tube
APEXi drop in air filter
planning to add:
JDL 2.5" front/overpipe dual resonated combo
HKS Catted Equal Length Header
ECUTEK (header and ECUTEK after my maintenance warranty expires)

Suspension:
Tein Flex Z coilovers 6kg/6kg
Perrin 19mm front swaybar
Perrin 16mm rear swaybar

will continue after my shift here at NAPA
You worried about exhaust loudness? Though the dual resonated combo front pipe is one of the better choices for sound control, losing both cats will definitely make the car a bit loud.
Old 06-22-2021, 03:24 PM   #8
SidtheDriftKid

Quote:
You worried about exhaust loudness? Though the dual resonated combo front pipe is one of the better choices for sound control, losing both cats will definitely make the car a bit loud.
Oh nah, I'm absolutely going to go thru with spending the money and getting the catted Equal length HKS header. Also was going to get the JDL front pipe with a cat and a resonator...but a fellow friend from PTuning advised me not to due to the fact that he's fried 3 cats. Maybe has something to do with the fact that he's turbo'd...but, his advice is being considered!
The Following User Says Thank You to SidtheDriftKid For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 05:45 PM   #9
SidtheDriftKid

Also, has anyone done the intake manifold upgrade to the crinkle red aluminum manifold (pn: 14001AC540)?? I was highly considering it
Old 06-22-2021, 09:23 PM   #10
Dzmitry

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidtheDriftKid View Post
Also, has anyone done the intake manifold upgrade to the crinkle red aluminum manifold (pn: 14001AC540)?? I was highly considering it
Not to say I've done the upgrade, I simply have it - but I've read a few who have. Most do it for the looks, it's no major upgrade on its own and will likely yield little results in terms of gains. But in the long run, with additional upgrades, it can be a slightly worthy, but more of a neat looking upgrade.
Old 06-23-2021, 01:49 PM   #11
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Not to say I've done the upgrade, I simply have it - but I've read a few who have. Most do it for the looks, it's no major upgrade on its own and will likely yield little results in terms of gains. But in the long run, with additional upgrades, it can be a slightly worthy, but more of a neat looking upgrade.
Considering that the sum total of ALL the upgrades was 5HP then there would be nothing beyond the bling factor in changing it.
Now... That said the bling factor is high. I have had many oohs and ahhs about that red intake.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2016 BRZ.pdf (7.80 MB, 138 views)
Dzmitry (06-25-2021)

Tags
frs, hks, jdm, te37, tein