follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 08-30-2018, 02:07 AM   #29
TheBRZsKnees

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliotw View Post
Your car is looking great. Love the spoiler and Revos. Really make the car. Impressions/review of the coilovers? How's the paint holding up on all the yellow plastic you changed to Black. They look great in the photo
Thanks mate. I appreciate that.

I'm happy with the coilovers. The handling is tighter. The dead zone in the middle of the wheel has been reduced to almost nothing. The ride quality is quite similar to the Eibach pro springs. Very comfortable. The PBM parts I installed are noisy on turns, but meh. Racecar XD

The paint in the engine bay is holding up well. Some chipping on the parts that flex or are touched often, but not bad.

--------------------------

In other news, I found a magnetic phone mount that I love. Most don't fit well in our vents. I was previously using the Kenu Airframe on the recommendation of some other users, but it was a bit janky. I switched to the MPOW Grip Magic Vent 2, which fits and works great.

I've been waiting over two months now for my brakes. This has been my experience with RR Racing.

June 17: Brakes ordered.

July 6: RR Racing tells me that the calipers have been delayed, but they would get them the following Monday. They said the stock Wilwood caliper color may have changed, but that they would paint them if needed.

July 10: RR Racing says Wilwood sent them the wrong calipers. There will be an additional delay.

July 13: RR Racing says they accidentally mixed my order up with someone else's, and powder coated the calipers red. They ask if I want the red ones, and I tell them I'd like to stick with black. They ask if they can send these calipers to the other customer since they're already painted. It's now too late for me to install the brakes at the same time as the coilovers, so I tell them this is fine.

August 7: There are additional delays getting calipers from Wilwood.

August 22: I receive the brakes in the mail. The calipers are grey, presumably unpainted from Wilwood.

RR Racing says they're shipping me the correct color with a return label. At the end of the day, the most important thing for me is that I get a quality product. But man, this has been a struggle.

Last edited by TheBRZsKnees; 02-19-2020 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Restoring images
TheBRZsKnees is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheBRZsKnees For This Useful Post:
villainous_frx (01-02-2024)
Old 09-26-2018, 10:41 PM   #30
TheBRZsKnees

Garage
Developments and photo dump!

Shot from the 86 Sessions 86 Day meet and cruise.

Brakes came. I'm happy with them. I had a bit of an issue with excessive heat in the rear upon install. Turned out my e-brake was too tight. Even though I got it worked out within a couple days, the heat ended up causing some of the chrome on my rear wheels to chip. Fortunate you can't see it unless you look closely.

Took the car to Smithbrook Trailhead near Stevens Pass for a hike up to Lake Valhalla. Reviews I read said the road was "well-maintained." They must not have meant that for lowered sports cars though, because it was a slow, bumpy, stressful trip. She made it though.

Found a good place to grab some shots along the Skykomish River on the way back.

Last edited by TheBRZsKnees; 02-19-2020 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Fixing images
MCTeeJ (01-02-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 09:45 PM   #31
TheBRZsKnees

Garage
Lots of small updates.

-Installed a Rydeen CM-DUO2 reverse cam. The image is good, but it's frustrating that the offset factory install location renders the reverse lines useless.

-Shortly after the reverse cam install, I noticed that my music would skip for about 1 second every 7 to 9 minutes. At first I thought I had messed up my wiring, but it doesn't happen when connected via Aux or with my roommate's iPhone via Bluetooth. Only my, and my other roommate's, Galaxy S9s via Bluetooth. I'm guessing it was due to the last Android update. It's frustrating. Interested in any suggestions to fix it.

-Found that the STI roters in the RR Racing Front Sport kit rust badly where the pads don't touch. It's ugly as hell. Ended up painting that area silver, but it doesn't look great. Planning to redo in black.

-Was inspired by a Reddit user to cover my ugly silver dash piece with stickers and slaps. Initially intended it to be a temporary thing, but it came out great.

Last edited by TheBRZsKnees; 02-19-2020 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Fixing images
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheBRZsKnees For This Useful Post:
Busybee (03-16-2019), Elliotw (03-19-2019)
Old 01-26-2020, 02:08 PM   #32
TheBRZsKnees

Garage
First of all, shout-out to Tinypic for deleting all my pictures. I've restored what I can. I'll see what else I can find on my laptop when I'm able.

Anyway, life moves fast. Late last year, I bought a townhouse with a 2-car garage, which is damn hard to find at a reasonable price in the Seattle area. Having a garage to work on the car has been amazing.

I'm finally in the cosmetic mod stage of my build. There are a few things happening right now that I'm super excited about. Will share more soon.

Last edited by TheBRZsKnees; 02-19-2020 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Fixing images
Old 01-26-2020, 08:11 PM   #33
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph4zon View Post
First of all, shout-out to Tinypic for deleting all my pictures. I've restored what I can. I'll see what else I can find on my laptop when I'm able.

Anyway, life moves fast. Late last year, I bought a townhouse with a 2-car garage, which is damn hard to find at a reasonable price in the Seattle area. Having a garage to work on the car has been amazing.

I'm finally in the cosmetic mod stage of my build. There are a few things happening right now that I'm super excited about. Will share more soon.
Yeah I had to switch to Imgur. So far they have been good.

Congrats on the house. When I bought mine the only thing missing was a garage it would make life easier in the winter to get some projects done.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:36 PM   #34
TheBRZsKnees

Garage
I had always hoped to end with the most striking design possible without going widebody. Last week, the shop finished painting my new fenders and bumper. A few adjustments were needed (as well as a new set of side markers after losing one on the freeway), but she's wrapped up. This was the last major stage of the build, and it feels incredibly fulfilling.

I also got my winter tires on (better late than never, right?). Specs below. There's a bit of rub against the inner fender liners at full lock. I may remove the spacer, but it's not particularly worrisome.

XXR 527, Matte Bronze, 18x8 +42, 18x8.75 +35
Michelin X-Ice Xi3, 225/40
7mm PBM spacers in front
15mm PBM spacers in the rear

Last edited by TheBRZsKnees; 02-19-2020 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Fixing images
Elliotw (02-19-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 06:00 PM   #35
TheBRZsKnees

Garage
Holy moly. I didn't realize all the images were still broken. They should be fixed now.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:55 PM   #36
Elliotw

Drives: '18 BRZ tS, '18 GTI SE, '11 RS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Looks so good. I love it. Would love some closer pictures of the lip and the bumper.
Elliotw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 09:50 PM   #37
TheBRZsKnees

Garage
Summer wheels are back on. I plan to get some proper summer tires, but I'm not driving much due to the lockdown, so it's not a rush.

Updated thread title to match my socials.
Edit:Tried, unsuccessfully, to update thread title to match my socials.

Last edited by TheBRZsKnees; 05-25-2020 at 11:18 PM.
villainous_frx (10-31-2022)

Tags
brz, build, estelle, ph4zon