follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 03-11-2014, 09:29 PM   #197
Rayme
The Answer

Drives: Mazda 2
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Funny thread, nothing is wrong but it just makes noises? Variable valve timing has no history of being noisy right? Engineers would be best left to answer than tuners. To me, that just sounds like a healthy engine.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:31 PM   #198
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
If @arghx7 says it's a problem, I'll worry. When it comes to this stuff, I'd trust his opinion first.
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jamesm For This Useful Post:
King Tut (03-12-2014), OrbitalEllipses (03-12-2014), SirBrass (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 11:16 PM   #199
Amadeus

Drives: White MT FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
If @arghx7 says it's a problem, I'll worry. When it comes to this stuff, I'd trust his opinion first.
+1

@arghx7 = E.F. Hutton
The +40 crowd should understand what I mean. "When E.F. Hutton talks, everyone listens"
Amadeus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amadeus For This Useful Post:
AdrianG (03-11-2014), jamesm (03-11-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 02:03 AM   #200
zohare

Drives: '13 Firestorm Base AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorovert View Post
also you can hear it in this video

Mine does this with an Injen knockoff intake/catback. Not sure but pretty sure it's the same noise. Of course... since the moronic tech installed my new motor, nothing sounds the same *sigh...*
zohare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:08 AM   #201
forzajuve
Banned

Drives: Ultramarine 86 - 6MT
I enjoy the sound. I can't wait to install my decal.
forzajuve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:08 AM   #202
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
I consider throttle tip one of the worst quirks this car has, but I want 200k miles. Most here are looking to trade-in after a couple years.

This is the first most famous, several more after that, one of the posts in this thread lists a few.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=126

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post

Evidently the OEM's agree with @arghx7 too. Read this thread no way a common dealership is going to know anything about VVT tuning without a memo from Corporate:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...light=cam+head

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:36 AM   #203
andrew20195

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
This is the first most famous, several more after that, one of the posts in this thread lists a few.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=126
Interesting. One of the issues mentioned in that thread is a rocker failure. The other one where the "cams bent and broke through the cover" is unfortunately very light on information.
andrew20195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:41 PM   #204
jeebus

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT (on order)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
Perrin modified my flash and dropped the VVT tuning and reverted it to less agressive map. Reflashed and it's dead silent. Will post up log and then dyno after.

Whatever power was lost cant be much. Feels about as smooth, and more important does not sound like I need a valve adjustment. I know Jeff spent plenty of time tuning vvt for power and vishnu but...

Lets see what the dyno says.
The dyno will say you lost HP and TQ for a few hundred RPM in an area where the car has been known to suffer since day one. That's about it.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:49 PM   #205
krulux

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
When I first heard the sound it reminded me of what "floating the valves" sounded like from my old V8 days. Many older hot-rodders may well remember that sound coming from spinning a 350 small block to 5K rmps with stock heads...

Floating the valves is a nasty metallic sound with accompanying backfires and smoke... ultimately where the valve train is to weak to let the valve fully re-seat before the cam/pushrod was asking it to open again.

I don't think this is the case with the FA20 - there are no backfires or smoke or any other outward appearance beyond the noise during the particular rpm range. From my point of view - it is nothing more than harmonic sound distortion. As I said in my original post way back on page one.. the rasp is gone post header installation as is the infamous dip.

That said, If I were concerned a tune is causing the issue... I'd convert back to stock, or find someone with a tune that does not introduce the rasp. (But I'd have to agree with some others on here.. if you want the dip gone, deal with rasp or get a header...) /2cent
krulux is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krulux For This Useful Post:
Dezoris (03-12-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 03:59 PM   #206
CajunFRS

Drives: Challenger R/T, CRX SI,
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Perrin modified my flash and dropped the VVT tuning and reverted it to less agressive map. Reflashed and it's dead silent. Will post up log and then dyno after.

Whatever power was lost cant be much. Feels about as smooth, and more important does not sound like I need a valve adjustment. I know Jeff spent plenty of time tuning vvt for power and vishnu but...

Lets see what the dyno says.
That's good to hear. Will be interesting to see the before and after dyno. This thread may have started a trend of people asking for milder VVT maps.
CajunFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CajunFRS For This Useful Post:
Amadeus (03-13-2014), Dezoris (03-12-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 12:44 AM   #207
regal

Quote:
Originally Posted by krulux View Post
When I first heard the sound it reminded me of what "floating the valves" sounded like from my old V8 days.

I bought a $500 1971 Old Rocket V8 350 that developed the valvefloat (185k miles), she blew 5k miles later. That's the main reason this is one of those noises I don't like to hear . I have never hear heard this noise from a Japanese motor in 20 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunFRS View Post
That's good to hear. Will be interesting to see the before and after dyno. .

Yea but doesn't he have a Vortec and it takes aggressive VVT to avoid the slight torque dip? That's a lot of money to spend to have to settle. I hate to bring up positive displacement superchargers but they bump that torque dip right up without aggressive VVT (as luck would have it with these cars the only one available has some growing pains some say flaws.)

Maybe Dezoris caught that "get every last bit of torque and HP bug" I so admired him for not having in his video's. I was very impressed that he was using the conservative map in those videos.

What about the catless header, never put a supercharger without one on these cars. .
. I think the right tune and reaming out the header cat is the smartest thing to do right now for those of us on a budget who want to improve reliability and a little performance.

@Dezoris thanks again for being at the consumer's forefront with improving this car. We all owe you a bit of gratitude.

Don't shoot me for saying this but you may want to consider shipping your baby down to delicious tuning, getting a dyno tune fly down and drive her home. Just saying those guys know Subarus. I'm being slightly facetious.

But the tuning his holding our cars back still in general, that 32bits and those thousands of tables are going to make it a long road.

The tuners of the Griffon tune need to help out the aftermarket, they did something very right.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights

Last edited by regal; 03-13-2014 at 01:45 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to regal For This Useful Post:
1Cor10:23 (03-13-2014), Dezoris (03-13-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 10:29 AM   #208
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

Maybe Dezoris caught that "get every last bit of torque and HP bug" I so admired him for not having in his video's. I was very impressed that he was using the conservative map in those videos.

What about the catless header, never put a supercharger without one on these cars. .
. I think the right tune and reaming out the header cat is the smartest thing to do right now for those of us on a budget who want to improve reliability and a little performance.

@Dezoris thanks again for being at the consumer's forefront with improving this car. We all owe you a bit of gratitude.

Don't shoot me for saying this but you may want to consider shipping your baby down to delicious tuning, getting a dyno tune fly down and drive her home. Just saying those guys know Subarus. I'm being slightly facetious.
I have had 5 revisions of the tune since I went supercharged. The last revision had the most VVT noise of all of them, then the car was garaged for 3 months. After I booted it back up, the noise was progressively louder than I remember. Even reflashed etc. No change.

That's what started this and why I am now going to run a stock VVT map.
However, I already requested info from Delicious to fly here to tune. (Still waiting on info)

Shipping the car to Cali, is way too expensive, $3000 round trip and that excludes tuning and dyno time etc. That is way too much. And I don't have time to take a week off to do the drive, not worth it to me.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:50 AM   #209
regal

Quote:
I have had 5 revisions of the tune since I went supercharged. The last revision had the most VVT noise of all of them, then the car was garaged for 3 months. After I booted it back up, the noise was progressively louder than I remember. Even reflashed etc. No change.

That's what started this and why I am now going to run a stock VVT map.
However, I already requested info from Delicious to fly here to tune. (Still waiting on info)

Shipping the car to Cali, is way too expensive, $3000 round trip and that excludes tuning and dyno time etc. That is way too much. And I don't have time to take a week off to do the drive, not worth it to me.
@Dezoris thanks for the updates, I swear people were shipping cars on ebay for undre a grand coast to coat, maybe it was a long tansit time.

Good luck and glad you go that overly aggressive tune out of there.

Things like this where people are claiming NA 30-40hp increase on the FA20 refresh just prove how much high hoping is going on.

are you going to consider having Delicious throw an innovate on it for a test drive?

Mods:
Clear fender side lights

Last edited by regal; 03-13-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:05 AM   #210
Luckrider
My Other Ride's a Jeep

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
@Dezoris thanks for the updates, I swear people were shipping cars on ebay for undr a grand coast to coat, maybe it was a long tansit tim.

Good luck and glad you go that overly aggressive tune out of there.

Things like this where people are claiming NA 30-40hp increase on the FA20 refresh just prove how much high hoping is going on.

are you going to consider having Delicious throw an innovate on it for a test drive?
I don't know what you are talking about, I picked up ~30 NA HP....

Oh wait, that was on the magical e85 with just a tune.
Luckrider is offline   Reply With Quote