follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-14-2014, 02:39 PM   #15
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Interesting. I see this being most effective for front mount turbo setups or NA manifolds that come up in front of the belts/block and back down. I'm not sure it would be very effective for a NA car without a header that occupies that space in front of the block unless theres additional shielding at the bottom to go across the top of the header and prevent that radiant heat from rising up and soaking the intake. I'd love to see IAT and coolant temp data before/after the shield installed on a stock car.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:42 PM   #16
charged86

Drives: whiteout gt86 2015 IS350fsport
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@racerx1715 do you think you could revise the stock lower pan to suck heat out of the bay would reverse louvers do this?
zoth (07-18-2014)
Old 07-14-2014, 03:43 PM   #17
mike the snake

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
here's what I did to my skidplate. It seems to work very well.

Rubber strips trip the air causing a low pressure area behind thew hole in the skidplate, which helps pull hot air out of the engine bay.
Attached Images

mike the snake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mike the snake For This Useful Post:
charged86 (07-14-2014), zoth (07-18-2014)
Old 07-14-2014, 03:58 PM   #18
BadBRZ
Banned

Drives: Subaru
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
here's what I did to my skidplate. It seems to work very well.

Rubber strips trip the air causing a low pressure area behind thew hole in the skidplate, which helps pull hot air out of the engine bay.
Write a how to please!
BadBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:05 PM   #19
mike the snake

Pretty basic. I removed the skidplate and cut the hole with a grinder and cutting disk.

I used a pair of front rubber strips off my old BMW 135i that already had mounting tabs and mounted them to the front of the opening I had made.

I then reinstalled the skidplate.

When cutting the hole, i paid attention to where to cut so I retained all the OEM mounting holes, it's easy to cut the mounting holes out and then the skidplate won't mount solidly.

I'm pretty sure this works very well. With the car parked, running, fans on, a LOT of hot air can be felt coming out from under the car.

On the road, I assume it is working well. The rubber strips work as upside-down "gurney flaps" and trip the air away from the bottom of the car, which causes a low pressure area behind the opening, which helps pull hot air out of the engine bay.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:14 PM   #20
charged86

Drives: whiteout gt86 2015 IS350fsport
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
Pretty basic. I removed the skidplate and cut the hole with a grinder and cutting disk.

I used a pair of front rubber strips off my old BMW 135i that already had mounting tabs and mounted them to the front of the opening I had made.

I then reinstalled the skidplate.

When cutting the hole, i paid attention to where to cut so I retained all the OEM mounting holes, it's easy to cut the mounting holes out and then the skidplate won't mount solidly.

I'm pretty sure this works very well. With the car parked, running, fans on, a LOT of hot air can be felt coming out from under the car.

On the road, I assume it is working well. The rubber strips work as upside-down "gurney flaps" and trip the air away from the bottom of the car, which causes a low pressure area behind the opening, which helps pull hot air out of the engine bay.

this looks good i may try have some relief cut outs done in aluminum having them tig welded on the aluminum or making some myself and bolting them on. I like a clean engine bay. I did notice lots of dust in the bay when my belly pan was left off when i was fitting my header and custom overpipe but i forgot to log engine temps.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:32 PM   #21
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx1715 View Post
Currently we are thinking of making them out of brushed 304 stainless steel.
I'm not sure how "brushed" the ss is you are thinking of using but from a purely theoretical point of view I think it should be as shiny as possible to reflect radiant heat. I am not suggesting there would be a significant (or even measurable) difference between brushed and shiny, just that I like to squeeze every possible benefit out of a modification. This is why my headers have chrome finish and not black.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:55 PM   #22
Lavalover

Drives: 2014 FR-S Monogram Hot Lava
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Polished aluminum would have even lower emissivity and would radiate less heat than SS.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/em...nts-d_447.html
Lavalover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lavalover For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (07-14-2014)
Old 07-14-2014, 08:05 PM   #23
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
hmm..sub'd for more info and development
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:44 PM   #24
mike the snake

I might be wrong, but my mod should help keep the dust down in the engine bay, since the air hopefully is moving out the hole, not in.

Running with no skidplate, I suspect will invite a lot of road dust up into the engine bay.

I'd be interested to see how the heat shield works with my skidplate/trip strip mod works.

I'm interested in one of the skidplates if I can confirm it fits with the Full Blown turbo kit with V-bands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charged86 View Post
this looks good i may try have some relief cut outs done in aluminum having them tig welded on the aluminum or making some myself and bolting them on. I like a clean engine bay. I did notice lots of dust in the bay when my belly pan was left off when i was fitting my header and custom overpipe but i forgot to log engine temps.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:57 PM   #25
Dephective

Drives: '13 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Running with no skid plate causes turbulence in the bay and reduces the effectiveness of the airflow coming in through the front air dam over the radiator. This swirling effect inside the bay actually will reduce heat dissipation in the bay allowing for increased temps, because the air isn't leaving like it should. Mike's mod theoretically is sound engineering, although there could be a more eloquent way of tackling it. Overall, I'll probably do something like this myself after I finally get a garage again (buying my new home in a few days)

As for the OP, I love you guys. I have one of your first ever sets of LCA's ( the custom powdercoated purple ones from the group buy) and quality is top notch. I see this working very well to reduce heat on the accessory drives, but I feel stainless is too heavy. I think aluminum would be okay, assuming it holds up to heat cycling. I plan on running the Rev Works turbo kit here pretty soon and I'm not sure how fitment would be since there's only 2 kits in existence currently, but I would probably use gold reflector tape to further decrease heat transfer, which would give the aluminum a leg up.
As for the crank pulley bolt, do you think you could get away with a dimple on the sheet rather than a hole? Just spit balling ideas here. Definitely interested though.

'01 Accord-daily
'93 Rx7-fire breathing track monster 545hp 397tq 2300lb.
'06 Mazdaspeed6 one helluva love-hate relationship
Dephective is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dephective For This Useful Post:
Jeff@Racer X Fab (07-15-2014)
Old 07-15-2014, 12:14 AM   #26
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Interesting.

It works nicely for FI... but only for turbo. Maybe look into design #2 for sc FRS/BRZ guys.

Just my 2 cents
Old 07-15-2014, 12:15 AM   #27
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephective View Post
gold reflector tape
Gold foil ftw! http://store.bimmerworld.com/gold-fo...film-p841.aspx
Yep, I will have a shield!

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
Dephective (07-15-2014)
Old 07-15-2014, 09:19 AM   #28
Jeff@Racer X Fab

Drives: Subaru BRZ, Toyota MR2 Turbo
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by charged86 View Post
@racerx1715 do you think you could revise the stock lower pan to suck heat out of the bay would reverse louvers do this?
I'm sure we could look into making a complete replacement with louvers if we have enough interest to build one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavalover View Post
Polished aluminum would have even lower emissivity and would radiate less heat than SS.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/em...nts-d_447.html
The emissivity is lower, but the thermal conductivity is higher. Really torn on this one, three kinds of heat transfer conduction, convection, and radiation. We have to start with what we are trying to protect and and prevent heat from transferring to. For the turbo kits stainless may be the better choice and would protect the accessories, but for NA aluminum might be the way to go. We can always offer both choices and let the end user decide.

The aluminum may be more of a heat sink than a heat shield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
I'm not sure how "brushed" the ss is you are thinking of using but from a purely theoretical point of view I think it should be as shiny as possible to reflect radiant heat. I am not suggesting there would be a significant (or even measurable) difference between brushed and shiny, just that I like to squeeze every possible benefit out of a modification. This is why my headers have chrome finish and not black.
The brushed was more appearance in this case than functionality, as the difference between then would be slight. We would much rather offer the flat finish than the brushed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephective View Post
Running with no skid plate causes turbulence in the bay and reduces the effectiveness of the airflow coming in through the front air dam over the radiator. This swirling effect inside the bay actually will reduce heat dissipation in the bay allowing for increased temps, because the air isn't leaving like it should. Mike's mod theoretically is sound engineering, although there could be a more eloquent way of tackling it. Overall, I'll probably do something like this myself after I finally get a garage again (buying my new home in a few days)

As for the OP, I love you guys. I have one of your first ever sets of LCA's ( the custom powdercoated purple ones from the group buy) and quality is top notch. I see this working very well to reduce heat on the accessory drives, but I feel stainless is too heavy. I think aluminum would be okay, assuming it holds up to heat cycling. I plan on running the Rev Works turbo kit here pretty soon and I'm not sure how fitment would be since there's only 2 kits in existence currently, but I would probably use gold reflector tape to further decrease heat transfer, which would give the aluminum a leg up.
As for the crank pulley bolt, do you think you could get away with a dimple on the sheet rather than a hole? Just spit balling ideas here. Definitely interested though.
The bolt sits about 3/8" away from the shield currently, we could put a dimple in this location without much trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
Interesting.

It works nicely for FI... but only for turbo. Maybe look into design #2 for sc FRS/BRZ guys.

Just my 2 cents
I'm sure we can look into a design for the SC guys as well.
Jeff@Racer X Fab is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff@Racer X Fab For This Useful Post:
F1point4 (07-15-2014), ichitaka05 (07-15-2014)