follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-29-2014, 12:16 PM   #71
ST185RC

Drives: White Out FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Pro: Car is relatively cheap
Con: Car is relatively cheap

Yeah it's cheap to buy but they cut corners in a lot of places to keep the cost down. If you drive on the highway more than once a week for the first week, you're going to start getting paint chips on the bumper.

Stuff rattles after a few months and with the cold months coming up, it's gonna be creeking and rattling from the cold weather.

This car is not a tank and is quite fragile. This dude got his ass-end forward and hit something at a claimed 5mph and now he can't even open his trunk:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xQVi8mkZGY"]BRZ FRS Accident - YouTube[/ame]

This car had one purpose and that is to entertain through driving experience and focus on how you receive that entertainment. Everything else is an afterthought.
ST185RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:18 PM   #72
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST185RC View Post
Pro: Car is relatively cheap
Con: Car is relatively cheap

Yeah it's cheap to buy but they cut corners in a lot of places to keep the cost down. If you drive on the highway more than once a week for the first week, you're going to start getting paint chips on the bumper.

Stuff rattles after a few months and with the cold months coming up, it's gonna be creeking and rattling from the cold weather.

This car is not a tank and is quite fragile. This dude got his ass-end forward and hit something at a claimed 5mph and now he can't even open his trunk:

This car had one purpose and that is to entertain through driving experience and focus on how you receive that entertainment. Everything else is an afterthought.
I wonder if he somehow triggered the trunk release lock with the impact... I've had stuff in my trunk nudge the button so that I had to use the little key to unlock the trunk... I really should get something to cap that button off....

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:34 PM   #73
misooscar

Drives:
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Yep, cheap, front bumper doesn't stay clipped in, after removing or driving fast

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
misooscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:40 PM   #74
ST185RC

Drives: White Out FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daiheadjai View Post
I wonder if he somehow triggered the trunk release lock with the impact... I've had stuff in my trunk nudge the button so that I had to use the little key to unlock the trunk... I really should get something to cap that button off....

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Perhaps. But 5mph is like less than jogging speed. What is that? 8km per hour? Hell, I jog 10km in under 50 minutes.

If what the guy is saying in the video is true, hitting something at a leisure jogging pace in your car can cause your trunk to warp causing a gap between the spoiler and trunk exposing the bolts that bolt the spoiler down, cause your bumper to be completely warped and misaligned and all the tow hook caps to pop out. It might really be the case that the trunk lid is wedged on some part of the car where he can't open it without excessive force.

It was mentioned already that the bottom of the faux defuser where the reverse lights reside is flimsy somewhere in this forum and truth is, it is. A lot of this car is flimsy in hopes to reduce weight. Not complaining about it but it is what it is. It's better than some folks who start drilling holes into their frame to reduce weight anyways without an educated engineer's guess on what else it might affect.

The front wheel arches is protected by a plastic fender liner. If you remove the fender liner, it's a gaping hole into the engine bay. When you make a car that is easily accessible, chances are there are compromises to make it happen.
ST185RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:42 PM   #75
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Perhaps. But 5mph is like less than jogging speed. What is that? 8km per hour?

If what the guy is saying in the video is true, hitting something at a leisure jogging pace in your car can cause your trunk to warp causing a gap between the spoiler and trunk exposing the bolts that bolt the spoiler down, cause your bumper to be completely warped and misaligned and all the tow hook caps to pop out. It might really be the case that the trunk lid is wedged on some part of the car where he can't open it without excessive force.

It was mentioned already that the bottom of the faux defuser where the reverse lights reside is flimsy somewhere in this forum and truth is, it is. A lot of this car is flimsy in hopes to reduce weight. Not complaining about it but it is what it is. It's better than some folks who start drilling holes into their frame to reduce weight anyways.

The front wheel arches is protected by a plastic fender liner. If you remove the fender liner, it's a gaping hole into the engine bay. When you make a car that is easily accessible, chances are there are compromises to make it happen.
My friend got hit 6x that speed and only got a barely noticeable dent and some paint cracking
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 01:31 PM   #76
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Perhaps. But 5mph is like less than jogging speed. What is that? 8km per hour? Hell, I jog 10km in under 50 minutes.

It was mentioned already that the bottom of the faux defuser where the reverse lights reside is flimsy somewhere in this forum and truth is, it is. A lot of this car is flimsy in hopes to reduce weight. Not complaining about it but it is what it is. It's better than some folks who start drilling holes into their frame to reduce weight anyways without an educated engineer's guess on what else it might affect.

Let's not forget the fact that what we think of as "cheaply made" is actually a major part of the safety design of cars and has been for decades now.
These (and all new cars) are designed to crumple and absorb impact forces that would otherwise injure or kill a driver or passenger.
Newer car crashes that have horrible looking damage can actually result in everybody walking away, where a crash with a precrumple (my made up word of the day) zone car may leave a really nice intact looking car that is full of corpses.
You hear all the time that "they don't make cars like they used to" and I for one am very glad they don't. I would much rather replace the whole front/rear of a car then be dead, or even worse kill a loved one.
FlamingRectumSyndrome (10-29-2014), FRSBRZGT86FAN (10-29-2014), Jond63 (10-29-2014), navanodd (10-29-2014), tennisfreak (10-29-2014), Texas BRZ (10-29-2014), Ultramaroon (10-29-2014)
Old 10-29-2014, 04:05 PM   #77
FlamingRectumSyndrome
Shriveled Old Member

Drives: 14 Hot Lava FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
You hear all the time that "they don't make cars like they used to" and I for one am very glad they don't.
Totally agree. Both my wife and I have been hit by other vehicles while driving '60s vintage Mustangs. Thankfully they were both low-speed collisions. In both cases, the other vehicle was newer and appeared to sustain major damage, while the Mustangs were barely scratched. But we both experienced what could best be described as being a bug in a tin can that gets hit by a golf club-- most of the impact energy gets transferred to the occupant(s), rather than being dissipated by distorting purpose-built crumple zones. It ain't pleasant.
FlamingRectumSyndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamingRectumSyndrome For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-29-2014)
Old 10-29-2014, 05:29 PM   #78
daiheadjai

Quote:

Notwithstanding crumple zones, I have noticed that sometimes, if my trunk is say, moderately full of gear, and I take a turn a little sharper, the trunk can actually release itself. It won't spring open, but the latch is open, and you'll see the "door open" indicator light on the dash.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:30 PM   #79
Atticus808

Drives: Splash Mountain
Thanked 2,337 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Notwithstanding crumple zones, I have noticed that sometimes, if my trunk is say, moderately full of gear, and I take a turn a little sharper, the trunk can actually release itself. It won't spring open, but the latch is open, and you'll see the "door open" indicator light on the dash.
lol @ your screen name.
Atticus808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:41 PM   #80
brianhj

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Sounds like you need the TRD Trunk Latch Stabilizer.. MSRP $799.99
brianhj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brianhj For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (10-29-2014)
Old 10-29-2014, 05:42 PM   #81
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhj View Post
That sounds so legit lmfao
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:44 PM   #82
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yep here it is! TRD red and everything
Attached Images

brianhj (10-29-2014), FRSBRZGT86FAN (10-29-2014), rs999 (10-29-2014), Ultramaroon (10-30-2014)
Old 10-29-2014, 11:12 PM   #83
daiheadjai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus808 View Post
lol @ your screen name.
Haha... Chinglish

Quote:
Great deal. I think I'll order 2.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:32 AM   #84
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realm View Post
The "chirp" noise is caused by the ethanol gas.
The 200+ page thread about the crickets indicates otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
For blind spots, anyone who has major blind spots has their side mirrors adjusted incorrectly. Your side mirror should pick up a car just as it's leaving the rear view mirror, and once it leaves the side mirror you can do a head check and see the car directly. You'll have very very minor blind spots immediately next to your rear wheels, but nothing big enough to fit a car into.
The car still has a wicked blind spot even if you have the mirrors adjusted correctly. The problem is not cars in the lane next to you. If you adjust your mirrors correctly, you'll see a car continuously as it approaches you from behind and passes you on either side.

The blind spot is in the next lane over. There's a cone of blindness that starts around the rear fender well and expands outward. A car in the lane next to you is larger than this cone, so you can see it. A car in the next lane over can fit in the cone so that it's pretty much invisible. If you and the guy two lanes over both decide to take the center lane at the same time, you can't see him until he suddenly appears out of that blind spot, at which time you may already be trading paint.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote