follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-27-2017, 12:02 PM   #1107
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johan View Post
There aren't any bolts in the stock exhaust so there's nothing to reuse? We couldn't have installed the header without the spare bolts I had.
I ran into this same issue. Not looking for them to be so much necessarily supplied but at least have a disclaimer that you will need extra hardware. Luckily I had some.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jasonojordan For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (03-27-2017), johan (03-27-2017), tony-brz (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 01:21 PM   #1108
imnotsureaboutbrz

Drives: between cars...
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony-brz View Post
Installed ACE CS400 today on my 2017 PP today, completely stock otherwise. Thanks @johan, u the man!

YouTube video link, first cold start:
Have you or are you planning on Tuning the car? Any CEL codes after the install?
imnotsureaboutbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:26 PM   #1109
tony-brz

Drives: '17 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotsureaboutbrz View Post
Have you or are you planning on Tuning the car? Any CEL codes after the install?
It is getting tuned this coming weekend. And yes, the check engine light came on this morning otw to work.
tony-brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:27 PM   #1110
imnotsureaboutbrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony-brz View Post
It is getting tuned this coming weekend. And yes, the check engine light came on this morning otw to work.
did you do any baseline dyno runs by chance? I'm interested in the gains to be has on our 2017 cars with just the header and tune like you are doing...
Old 03-27-2017, 01:31 PM   #1111
tony-brz

Quote:
did you do any baseline dyno runs by chance? I'm interested in the gains to be has on our 2017 cars with just the header and tune like you are doing...
I wish, I'd like to know myself. Unfortunately, that would have been inconvenient to accomplish and more costly.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:17 PM   #1112
johan

Drives: '14 981CS, '99 NB1
Thanked 1,201 Times in 631 Posts
Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
The dyno we're going to is 2.5hrs away, so it just wouldn't have been feasible to go beforehand. But - the header won't make much power without a tune, so we'll obviously still have the before/after on tuned power gains. I know it's of less value, but it is what it is.

We're getting @tony-brz's ACE'd 2017 and my Harrop SC'd 2017 tuned same day.
johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:30 PM   #1113
imnotsureaboutbrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by johan View Post
The dyno we're going to is 2.5hrs away, so it just wouldn't have been feasible to go beforehand. But - the header won't make much power without a tune, so we'll obviously still have the before/after on tuned power gains. I know it's of less value, but it is what it is.

We're getting @tony-brz's ACE'd 2017 and my Harrop SC'd 2017 tuned same day.
awesome... sucks to be so far from other folks. There is a shop in town that does dyno runs for like $90. Once I'm out of break in, I'm gonna get one done for fun. But looking at threads like this are making me a hypocrite... I bought new because I wanted the security of a warranty, and now all I think about it how to void it... lol. Fortunate/unfortunate for me there aren't many tuning shops here or ones that have lots of experience with 86's so IF I go that route its likely to be the OFT route...

I'm looking forward to seeing your results... @tony-brz are you gonna use ecutek?
Old 03-27-2017, 02:40 PM   #1114
CounterSpace Garage

Drives: Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 Experts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
awesome... sucks to be so far from other folks. There is a shop in town that does dyno runs for like $90. Once I'm out of break in, I'm gonna get one done for fun. But looking at threads like this are making me a hypocrite... I bought new because I wanted the security of a warranty, and now all I think about it how to void it... lol. Fortunate/unfortunate for me there aren't many tuning shops here or ones that have lots of experience with 86's so IF I go that route its likely to be the OFT route...

I'm looking forward to seeing your results... @tony-brz are you gonna use ecutek?
If you have any questions on tuning and setup, please let us know. Thanks!
CounterSpace Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:40 PM   #1115
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
The true gains of the header are not realized until you have a proper tune. The header requires some unique calibration settings.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:42 PM   #1116
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:

I do not believe I've ever seen an OFT tune or dyno sheet posted that allows for the Ace's potential to be truly exploited. The best Ace/OFT dynos I've seen put it on par with... the OFH/OFT combo.

The proven CSG x DT Ace tune is what I would recommend; it has hundreds of hours of development in it, and continues to evolve as drivers continue to send in logs of their track time.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 03:22 PM   #1117
tony-brz

Quote:

Yes ecutek.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:23 PM   #1118
johan

Quote:

Yeah, we are driving down to @VitViper's shop to tune the cars on ECUTek, mine has already been e-tuned by Vit, but I'm throwing it on the dyno to fine tune things.

To be clear, there are plenty of dyno shops within a 10-15 drive from either Tony or I, but a baseline dyno is meaningless if you don't intend to also tune the car on that dyno... Different physical dynos do not match shop to shop, even if they are the same brand.
The Following User Says Thank You to johan For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 05:54 PM   #1119
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
The true gains of the header are not realized until you have a proper tune. The header requires some unique calibration settings.

True

But i think hes asking for gains of your header and tune over stock 2017.

Be interesting to see given the 2017 manual has a better\ different stock tune and better header than the previous cars. It may result in less gain with tunes and header than the 2012-2016 cars ?
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:57 PM   #1120
johan

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
True

But i think hes asking for gains of your header and tune over stock 2017.

Be interesting to see given the 2017 manual has a better\ different stock tune and better header than the previous cars. It may result in less gain with tunes and header than the 2012-2016 cars ?
To counter - there's a lot more done to the 2017 MT engine than just the header - so the relative gains could be the same, or even greater given the overall improvements throughout the engine.