follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 03-11-2015, 06:46 PM   #295
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin4Life View Post
The twins are, frankly, a bargain basement, sports car. IMO, a bit over priced too. But what isnt? What they do offer is a FANTASTIC, and fun driving experience on a budget. Its not fast, its not flashy but it is VERY fun. If you need to haul a family around, this car isnt for you. If you need luggage space, look elsewhere. If youre really worried about MPG, why would you get a 2 door, RWD coupe? If you want a stop light to stop light champ...keep looking. If you want an orgasmic platform to scapel assault some twisties with a shit eating grin and not dropping $80 large of a Porsche....this chassis and platform is THE benchmark. Not my cup of tea, like others have said, its a niche platform. You wont be winning any races but fun factor is off the charts. Should be about $4K cheaper IMO but thats with everything.
Damn it Twin I agree with most of what you said as well! I must be getting soft.
Only things I would debate is the fact it is a "sports car" and the overpriced. It is a sports "coupe" yes (not gonna make any friends here) but not a sports "car". I know there are a billion different ways to define a sports car and nobody can ever agree which one but to me a true sports car seats two only and as bad as the back seat can be you can indeed seat 4.
As far as price point goes I think they nailed it right on for the quantities made. Sure if they were selling 80,000 a year then they would be expensive at the current price but they aren't so they cost a little more. Just imagine what a 'Stang would cost you if they were made in the same numbers as the 86. Volume sets price as much as materials and manufacturing costs do. Quite frankly if they made them in the volume of the Mustang or Camaro I would not have one as I like the rarer breeds and am willing to pay the premium for that (relative) rarity.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:59 PM   #296
Twin4Life

Drives: '14 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Grand Touring
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Damn it Twin I agree with most of what you said as well! I must be getting soft.
Only things I would debate is the fact it is a "sports car" and the overpriced. It is a sports "coupe" yes (not gonna make any friends here) but not a sports "car". I know there are a billion different ways to define a sports car and nobody can ever agree which one but to me a true sports car seats two only and as bad as the back seat can be you can indeed seat 4.
As far as price point goes I think they nailed it right on for the quantities made. Sure if they were selling 80,000 a year then they would be expensive at the current price but they aren't so they cost a little more. Just imagine what a 'Stang would cost you if they were made in the same numbers as the 86. Volume sets price as much as materials and manufacturing costs do. Quite frankly if they made them in the volume of the Mustang or Camaro I would not have one as I like the rarer breeds and am willing to pay the premium for that (relative) rarity.
Well thats like saying a Porsche 911 isnt a Sports Car. It has 4 seats, pretty damn useless but its there. I think the Twins are the definition of a Sports Car, albeit, at a blue collar price. Nothing wrong with that, contrary, I think its awesome. Front engine, nice hoodline, RWD, two door coupe with a 6 speed manual. Its a Miata with a hardtop and more power. No, not too fast, but fast isnt what defines a sports car. Its a great little platform, that looks great, so fun to drive. Such a small market too. I hope they improve on an already great platform. Again, not my gig at this point but certainly has shown the buyers are there.
Twin4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Twin4Life For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-11-2015)
Old 03-11-2015, 07:05 PM   #297
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
The twins sent the benchmark for a lot of companies and what they "could" do. Its a good thing that companies try to one up eachother.

I just hope toyota/subaru either let the twins die, or one up their competition.
The Following User Says Thank You to tahdizzle For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-11-2015)
Old 03-11-2015, 07:15 PM   #298
malave7567

Drives: (formerly) 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahdizzle View Post
Its a good thing that companies try to one up each other.

I just hope toyota/subaru either let the twins die, or one up their competition.
Agreed. I know not everyone here appreciates an american v8, but the recent horsepower wars have created a ton of selections for that market. Competition among manufacturers is always a good thing for the consumer.
malave7567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:18 PM   #299
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,343 Times in 1,576 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by malave7567 View Post
The twins are, and always will be, a niche car. If you fit that niche, perfect! But with all niche cars, there will always be options for a similar price that get you more overall for the money. Back on the subject of the WRX, the only measurable it fails to beat the twins in is handling. For people who fit the niche of handling and driver feel above ALL ELSE, the twins win hands down. No one is arguing that. 2 door vs 4 door is subjective (styling choice), imo. Just so happens 4-door gives you more space to use your car for other things... but again, if you never will have to, a moot point.

Sounds like Tyler went back into the drift scene for a while, and now doesn't feel that itch anymore (I could be wrong, just guessing). I see no reason to blast him for switching his cars after two years. It's not like he had a gaudy build or kept complaining about the twins being too slow. That's a whole different situation.

Yep. The past 15 years of my automotive interest has been primarily drifting. Loved doing it and still love it. However, I'm moving back to California and will be finishing school (full time) as well as working full time. I don't really have the time to be going to drift events and stuff at that point. It's all about saving money and eliminating unnecessary expenses.

So why have a car that's not comfortable or practical if I don't get to enjoy driving it on the track like I intended? Doesn't seem logical to me. So I've parted the car out. Much better for every day use but I don't really enjoy the car much in stock form cruising around in traffic. It's just a little too bland for me.

The WRX on the other hand has a little more power which is nice as well as extra space and it's not comfortable. It'll also cost me less per month, which is another win. So FOR ME, switching to the Subaru just makes more sense as it will suit my daily needs better since I'm not focused on having a track prepped street car.

I don't have the FRS or anything like that. I love it. I've enjoyed the car. I still recommend the car to tons of people who ask about it, but it just simply falls short in the areas of my interest/focus in a car right now.

The end. (Yeah I said it)
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-11-2015)
Old 03-11-2015, 07:38 PM   #300
Twin4Life

Drives: '14 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Grand Touring
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
Yep. The past 15 years of my automotive interest has been primarily drifting. Loved doing it and still love it. However, I'm moving back to California and will be finishing school (full time) as well as working full time. I don't really have the time to be going to drift events and stuff at that point. It's all about saving money and eliminating unnecessary expenses.

So why have a car that's not comfortable or practical if I don't get to enjoy driving it on the track like I intended? Doesn't seem logical to me. So I've parted the car out. Much better for every day use but I don't really enjoy the car much in stock form cruising around in traffic. It's just a little too bland for me.

The WRX on the other hand has a little more power which is nice as well as extra space and it's not comfortable. It'll also cost me less per month, which is another win. So FOR ME, switching to the Subaru just makes more sense as it will suit my daily needs better since I'm not focused on having a track prepped street car.

I don't have the FRS or anything like that. I love it. I've enjoyed the car. I still recommend the car to tons of people who ask about it, but it just simply falls short in the areas of my interest/focus in a car right now.

The end. (Yeah I said it)
Yea, but its a niche car at budget. Cant argue or complain. You grew out of it, pretty much what everybody does at some point. No harm, no foul.
Twin4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Twin4Life For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-11-2015)
Old 03-11-2015, 07:49 PM   #301
ckim

Drives: '15 DGM STi Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
This is a bit of a cross post from the FT86 subreddit.

I test drove a 2015 STi last Friday. It was awesome.

It's not as involved or raw, so maybe not quite as entertaining. But the flipside to that is that it felt more refined. Less NVH. Less road/wind noise. Less like my teeth were being vibrated out of my skull.

Seating position is OK. A bit more upright than the BRZ, but as I approach my late 30s maybe that's a good thing. Steering felt great. The pedal position was good. The trans (w/ the STi short shifter) felt great. The car felt very nimble and quite quick.

Turbo induction noises were fun. Exhaust sounds good.

I came home really wanting one. I even put down a refundable $300 deposit on a loaded one that should arrive by the end of the month.

Did 60 miles of canyon carving that night in the BRZ and my ears were ringing (OFH + Perrin catback). Was convinced that I wanted the STi.

Put $30 worth of Dynamat in the spare tire well and did 60 more miles of canyon carving and I'm not so sure anymore. Fired up some Initial D, and now I really don't know.

It's good to have options though.
ckim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:18 PM   #302
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by P86RAVES View Post
I wouldn't window shop a turbo for this car.
Not that hard to get raw data from turbo owners for specific brands, do research and become familiar with the results both good and bad......
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:23 PM   #303
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckim View Post
This is a bit of a cross post from the FT86 subreddit.

I test drove a 2015 STi last Friday. It was awesome.

It's not as involved or raw, so maybe not quite as entertaining. But the flipside to that is that it felt more refined. Less NVH. Less road/wind noise. Less like my teeth were being vibrated out of my skull.

Seating position is OK. A bit more upright than the BRZ, but as I approach my late 30s maybe that's a good thing. Steering felt great. The pedal position was good. The trans (w/ the STi short shifter) felt great. The car felt very nimble and quite quick.

Turbo induction noises were fun. Exhaust sounds good.

I came home really wanting one. I even put down a refundable $300 deposit on a loaded one that should arrive by the end of the month.

Did 60 miles of canyon carving that night in the BRZ and my ears were ringing (OFH + Perrin catback). Was convinced that I wanted the STi.

Put $30 worth of Dynamat in the spare tire well and did 60 more miles of canyon carving and I'm not so sure anymore. Fired up some Initial D, and now I really don't know.

It's good to have options though.
Try bushings and shifter springs, not sure if you're willing to fork the cash over for FI but therrs always other proven methods of getting hp.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:45 AM   #304
P86RAVES

Drives: 08 WRB WRX STi / NA Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I could until I was blue in the face and you still wouldn't understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrazic93 View Post
Not that hard to get raw data from turbo owners for specific brands, do research and become familiar with the results both good and bad......
I'm saying the value per dollar to modify this car is not very good. The amount of money spent properly modifying this car could be spent on another platform that performs better out the factory door.

Because we're, assuming here, all working with a budget we have to make the most cost beneficial decisions we can. If this car pulls at your emotional heart strings, then spending $7k on properly sorted FI and $4k in suspension wouldn't be much of an issue as you'd be a person who sees this investment as making the platform ideal.

I take the perspective that that $11k on top of the price of the car can be put towards a platform whose performance exceeds what the modified version of my car would be. For example, before I had the STi I had a E46 with the ZHP pacakge. It would have cost me $7k to supercharge it, putting me close to 300hp. Instead, I traded E46 in for the STi because it had already better performance for that money.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:47 AM   #305
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Garage
@P86RAVES, I really don't think you understand the meaning of driving at 6/10.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:14 AM   #306
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
@P86RAVES, I really don't think you understand the meaning of driving at 6/10.
May as well give up dude!
The guys that know what they personally want in a car seem to figure that is what everybody else should want as well and there will be no convincing them otherwise anyway.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:26 AM   #307
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Garage
Eh, you're right @Tcoat.

I understand different strokes for different folks, but its hard to just let it go when people impose their opinions like gosspel.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:35 AM   #308
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I don't have a problem with people desiring something different..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
May as well give up dude!
The guys that know what they personally want in a car seem to figure that is what everybody else should want as well and there will be no convincing them otherwise anyway.
I don't have a problem with someone desiring something different. I DO have a problem with people talking bullshit as an explanation for WHY they desire something different.

Saying that you will get more performance out of a car that weighs 700-1400 more lbs for less money falls into that category once you're talking about power and performance mods...

Jaden
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaden For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-12-2015)