follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 04-13-2020, 06:21 PM   #1
colobrio

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 6MT, WR Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Replacement rotors/pads for StopTech BBK

Howdy. I picked up an STX-modified BRZ this past winter, primarily for AutoX but also track fun. I got in exactly one day of each before everything shut down.

The car came with a StopTech BBK in front, 328mm rotors. The rotors and pads both need replacing.

(1) Rotors - This is my first experience with aftermarket brakes, and I was surprised (understatement) to learn that replacement rotor rings from StopTech will cost about $675 for the pair. Are there any alternatives?

(2) Pads - Can anyone point me to a list of available replacement pads (assuming anyone other than StopTech makes pads to fit)? I'm not necessarily opposed to StopTech, I would just like to know what options I've got. I've already put DS2500s in the back.

Cheers.
colobrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 06:37 PM   #2
FastWhite

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited M/T
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Check on Counter Space Garage web page. Best selection of brake pads I have found.
Rotors, I don’t know.
Check on their website.
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FastWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 06:52 PM   #3
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,327 Times in 7,384 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
I have the same setup, the biggest downside is the cost of the friction rings. The friction rings go on sale every now and then, I got a set off rallysportdirect 20% off and set them aside. I have done 3 years on mine and they are just getting to the point I will likely need to replace them the end of this year.

I have been running the CSG C1 pad front and rear and I am very happy with them except, they wear the rotors a lot in cold weather. So for street driving I would recommend swapping them for a street pad.
i8ur911 (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 08:01 PM   #4
14stu

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by colobrio View Post
Thanks, all for the quick replies.

Basically, I'm looking for a good AutoX pad that, compared to other good AutoX pads, will hold up relatively well during a 30 minute track session (open lapping, hopefully an occasional TT). And yes, I realize "relatively well" won't be nearly as well as a dedicated track pad, but, 30 minutes.
I like the Ferodo pads, the DS1.11 are my favorite (I haven't tried their newest pad, DS3.12). The DS2500 is more autox focused and will hold up at the track, but if you are fast enough, they wear faster due to heat (they don't get to the point of fade but the wear is accelerated). The DS1.11 works for both autox and track, you won't overheat it easily and it works straight away for autox (not a bad idea to drag the brakes on the way to the start line for the first run, but they'll work just fine). The DSUNO is a little more track focused and ramps up with temperature more than the other pads (starts out pretty high and just gets better), so it's the least autox friendly but I've used them at autox without any real issues.

If you don't like Ferodo, the Hawks DTC30 is very similar to the DS2500, the DTC60 is the DSUNO equivalent, and the DTC70 is a track pad that won't heat up for autox but bites hard once up to temperature.

I've daily driven all these options except the DTC70 (I've got a 6mi commute, track or autox every weekend that's not shutdown for the pandemic, and don't mind the noise) but I've also had people literally pull forwards a car length when I brake behind them at stoplights.
14stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 10:15 PM   #5
colobrio

For anyone who comes here with the same questions, I think I found an an answer to the second. I can't say if it's comprehensive, but it's got a lot of options: https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/i...k6mr64adslshp7
Old 04-13-2020, 10:24 PM   #6
colobrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14stu View Post
I like the Ferodo pads, the DS1.11 are my favorite (I haven't tried their newest pad, DS3.12). The DS2500 is more autox focused and will hold up at the track, but if you are fast enough, they wear faster due to heat (they don't get to the point of fade but the wear is accelerated). The DS1.11 works for both autox and track, you won't overheat it easily and it works straight away for autox (not a bad idea to drag the brakes on the way to the start line for the first run, but they'll work just fine). The DSUNO is a little more track focused and ramps up with temperature more than the other pads (starts out pretty high and just gets better), so it's the least autox friendly but I've used them at autox without any real issues.

If you don't like Ferodo, the Hawks DTC30 is very similar to the DS2500, the DTC60 is the DSUNO equivalent, and the DTC70 is a track pad that won't heat up for autox but bites hard once up to temperature.

I've daily driven all these options except the DTC70 (I've got a 6mi commute, track or autox every weekend that's not shutdown for the pandemic, and don't mind the noise) but I've also had people literally pull forwards a car length when I brake behind them at stoplights.

Thanks, 14STU, that's helpful. I'll probably go with the DS 2500. Thoughts: AutoX is the priority, at least after avoiding fade; the track may get squeezed out a bit this year, to make room for more AutoX in a shortened season; and the local track has straights of 2,800' and 1,400', which I think helps with the brake temps a bit.
Old 04-13-2020, 11:45 PM   #7
14stu

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by colobrio View Post
Thanks, 14STU, that's helpful. I'll probably go with the DS 2500. Thoughts: AutoX is the priority, at least after avoiding fade; the track may get squeezed out a bit this year, to make room for more AutoX in a shortened season; and the local track has straights of 2,800' and 1,400', which I think helps with the brake temps a bit.
Longer straights also mean higher top speeds which add heat (heat is proportional to the speed squared, so doubling the speed increases the heat generated by four times). The DS 2500 should work great for you, just keep an eye on wear at the track. I was getting about 3-4 days out of the DS 2500 while the DS1.11 would last 6-7 on average (my one day events usually have 5-7 twenty minute sessions and I'm out for all of them, it's not uncommon for me to see 3hrs of track time in a day so calibrate to your experience but be ready for the pads to wear a bit fast so at worst you're pleasantly surprised that they exceeded your expectations rather than running out of pad and needing to go home early).

I always like to have a fresh set on standby, but before the mess I was scheduled for 40 trackdays. I'm hoping to still get in more than last year (32 plus 11 autox events), but that's starting to look unlikely (I only got in 7 days before lockdown).
14stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 08:37 AM   #8
M0nk3y

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS / Chevy Colorado
Personally, especially since you have BBKs up front. Get brake pads for AutoX and for the Track.

The DS2500s and DS1.11s are compound cross compatible, so you won't run into issues there. You'll be able to run the 2500s in the rear and still be okay, but at least have 1.11s up front.
Kyle H. - #89 STX
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 01:36 PM   #9
Molez93
Scott M

Drives: '13 BRZ (DocWalt's old car)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
Personally, especially since you have BBKs up front. Get brake pads for AutoX and for the Track.

The DS2500s and DS1.11s are compound cross compatible, so you won't run into issues there. You'll be able to run the 2500s in the rear and still be okay, but at least have 1.11s up front.

Ditto, at least to the general recommendation. Any time I've tried to just run autocross friendly pads at the track I regret the compromised stopping power- doesn't matter what car. Similarly, living with true track pads on the street is torture: bad performance, crummy noise.
Molez93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 01:25 PM   #10
colobrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molez93 View Post
Ditto, at least to the general recommendation. Any time I've tried to just run autocross friendly pads at the track I regret the compromised stopping power- doesn't matter what car. Similarly, living with true track pads on the street is torture: bad performance, crummy noise.
I understand re: separate pads. I also suspect that if I have to swap pads twice for every trip to the track, I'm going to wind up going to the track less often. If I'm unhappy with the pads the next time out, I can also get a set of 1.11s then. Otherwise, I'm willing to give up a little, for convenience. This hobby is plenty time consuming as it is.
Old 04-15-2020, 01:52 PM   #11
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Ive never had any issues running Carbotech XP8s, XP10s, and PFC 11 pads on the street and at the track for whole track seasons. I haven't swapped pads before/after events for *years*.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 03:37 PM   #12
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
Ive never had any issues running Carbotech XP8s, XP10s, and PFC 11 pads on the street and at the track for whole track seasons. I haven't swapped pads before/after events for *years*.
But XP10's suck.
Old 04-15-2020, 04:52 PM   #13
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
But XP10's suck.
Pad selection is *very* driver specific. I never had any issues running XP10s on the 255rwhp 240z or 550hp FD. I would prefer more bite, but they never failed me once, and lasted a decent amount of time, and were pretty streetable. For *me*...
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 06:14 PM   #14
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
Pad selection is *very* driver specific. I never had any issues running XP10s on the 255rwhp 240z or 550hp FD. I would prefer more bite, but they never failed me once, and lasted a decent amount of time, and were pretty streetable. For *me*...
Even on a track day that was damp and there where rain showers they would smear on the rotors. They are also loud as hell on the street.