follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 01-14-2018, 10:33 AM   #43
HeresMyMind

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lin View Post
Thanks for the info that's a bit more involved than I had originally thought. I will start with new bulbs for better output, but still need to take care of my leaking tail lights first...
No problem. If you ever want me to do them I charge 50$ for tuning and the lens install. Just send me the projectors.

-B
HeresMyMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:35 AM   #44
xenarc

Drives: 2017 SUBARU BRZ
I am still trying to figure out how to power up my 2017 BRZ fog lights using the existing OEM harness. I am using the winjet aftermarket harness until i decode this wiring puzzle.

Left is OEM plug coming from the left panel & to the right is the Winjet switch with Red, Yellow & Black wiring.
xenarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:47 AM   #45
HeresMyMind

Ususually these cars are pre wired. You just get the oem plug. A relay. And plug in the fogs themselves. Although I could be wrong. Let me do a bit more research for you.

-B

Last edited by HeresMyMind; 04-07-2018 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:45 PM   #46
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
My GCS 4th brake light just light up 50% of the bar, the other is dead until i give a heavy tap with my hand and then all barr turn it up. The bar is sealed and cant open it up to see inside, anyone have it and got problems with it?
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:46 PM   #47
HeresMyMind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
My GCS 4th brake light just light up 50% of the bar, the other is dead until i give a heavy tap with my hand and then all barr turn it up. The bar is sealed and cant open it up to see inside, anyone have it and got problems with it?
A point of solder on the inside must of lifted off the control board.

you have 2 options:

1) warranty it if possible

2) open it up and find the lifted solder and tap it with a solder gun to fix it.

-B
The Following User Says Thank You to HeresMyMind For This Useful Post:
Teseo (02-02-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 02:57 PM   #48
Bach415

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
@HeresMyMind where do you recommend to go to find connectors, terminals, and pins?
Bach415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:40 AM   #49
HeresMyMind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach415 View Post
@HeresMyMind where do you recommend to go to find connectors, terminals, and pins?
depending on what you need amazon/ebay. 90% of my stuff I solder and heat shrink. or use spade connectors that have heat shrink built into them. if its a multi pin connector i order those 1 off.

-B
Old 02-06-2018, 10:20 PM   #50
Aipex8

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 860 Special Edition
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Just picked up a '17 860 SE and have a few lighting questions:

On my previous car (RX-8) there was a quick wiring mod that allowed the fogs to turn on with the parking lights (instead of just with the headlights), know if there's a similar mod for the 86? They're the new LED fogs.

Similarly, any known way to keep the DRLs in bright mode (for sure when the e-brake is on, possibly when the lights are on... not sure how bright they are at night because I can't put my e-brake on, get out and look at them). lol

And finally, I'd like to convert the front side marker to a side repeaters (another mod I did to the RX-8). Since I have the new LED front signals, I'm not sure if I can just tap into a wire like I would with a incandescent bulb. Any idea what wire to tap if so? Or where to find the headlight wiring diagram?

Thanks.
Aipex8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 03:57 PM   #51
HeresMyMind

Just picked up a '17 860 SE and have a few lighting questions:

On my previous car (RX-8) there was a quick wiring mod that allowed the fogs to turn on with the parking lights (instead of just with the headlights), know if there's a similar mod for the 86? They're the new LED fogs.

Unfort Unless you install a seperate wire harness I don't know hwo to do this on our cars, it looks like it is programmed in the main ECU

Similarly, any known way to keep the DRLs in bright mode (for sure when the e-brake is on, possibly when the lights are on... not sure how bright they are at night because I can't put my e-brake on, get out and look at them). lol

You can buy an Always on Boomerang harness that dims the main running lights when you turn on your other lights but you can cut the wire that dims them

And finally, I'd like to convert the front side marker to a side repeaters (another mod I did to the RX-8). Since I have the new LED front signals, I'm not sure if I can just tap into a wire like I would with a incandescent bulb. Any idea what wire to tap if so? Or where to find the headlight wiring diagram?

You can install a these: https://www.customled.com/products/b...RoC-ewQAvD_BwE

Thanks.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:53 PM   #52
Aipex8

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 860 Special Edition
An update on the questions I asked about:

I've successfully converted my side markers to side repeaters (I'm aware there are both dual purpose LED side markers and wiring harnesses to make a single bulb work as both, but I was going for non-US OEM functionality). Here's the video that I used to find which wires to tap on the '17:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03QY6Q3NIFQ&t=305s"]Intec Fender Turn Signals - FT86SpeedFactory - YouTube[/ame]

Second, on the independent fog question, it looks like it uses a relay just like my RX-8 did and I just need to make the parking lights (or tail lights) trigger the relay instead of the headlights. The BRZ wiring diagram that is on this site shows what that would look like (must be a non-US wiring diagram, because again, that's how it works outside of the US):

http://www.ft86club.com/files/BRZwiringi.pdf (see pages 195-196. See how the fog relay is tied to the tail fuse. I'm not an electrician, but I believe I'm reading that correctly.) The relay looks like it might live inside the main body ECU though, so maybe I won't be able to gain access to it.

I'm planning on digging in and trying this mod this weekend. I'll post back if I have any luck.

Still hunting for solutions for the DRLs, but if I can run with just fogs and DRLs I'll be happy and don't necessarily need them to stay bright with headlights.

Last edited by Aipex8; 03-23-2018 at 05:09 PM.
Aipex8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:38 AM   #53
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeresMyMind View Post
That is the clear coat fading from sunlight. It happens on most headlights starting from the top. You can use a good polish on them to restore them to clear again. The only downside is that it will come back slowly overtime but that is normal. Just try to park in the shade. Pop you good and a buffer if you have one or if you don’t a microfiber cloth with your hand.

I use Ardex 1500 (its amazing at lightly polishing paint or removing swirls aswell)

If you are worried about making a mess you can put painters tape around the surrounding areas.

A lot of those headlight restore kits are a bit over board unless your headlights are very very brown. You could also try (plastic-x polish) from a local car store.

-B
I finally had the time to work at it with a buffer and plastic x. Worked like a charm, I almost completely removed any cloudyness and restored to former glory. Thanks again.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 01:25 PM   #54
22R
22R

Drives: 2012 Camry SE 2017 Toyota 86
Why is this short harness so hard and expensive to find ?
Can one be made cheaply ?
What connectors and where to get them ?

22R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 03:36 AM   #55
carlovestela

Drives: 2015 Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have 2015 frs and stock headlights.
Want to put hid for low beams and led for highbeam and drl.
Is that worth it? Bulbs only?
And what brand you recommend?
Thanks
carlovestela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 08:32 AM   #56
HeresMyMind

I would highly recommend a HID Projector swap for your OEM halogen projector. They make a kit that is a direct bolt in over at www.theretrofitsource.com.

I would use their morimoto brand if all you wanted to do was swap the bulbs to a HID version. This will increase some brightness but in no where will it be as close to a proper retrofit which wouldnt cost too much more. (125-145$ more in parts).

LED bulbs are really hard to recommend for the highbeams. ever reflector is different and every LED bulb is different the way they position the LEDs on the bulb itself. So what may work for 1 cars headlight well wont work for another. I would just leave the stock bulbs in there.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...C54404%2C48188

295$ for the full retrofit kit, that will give you properly designed projectors for HID bulbs that are a low beam and a highbeam (you would also have your OEM high beams leaving you with 4 highbeams!).

-B