follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-31-2012, 01:16 PM   #99
FRiSson

Drives: FR-S MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frsinpa View Post
Hyundai is somewhat like the Dell of cars... you get a LOT for the $, but the finished product simply isn't as polished as some of the other options out there.

I really admire what they've done and how they have made buying nice cars affordable for the masses, but I really wouldn't be in a hurry to buy one anytime soon.
The actual quality of Hyundai cars is less important than their trajectory. From creating cars that were an industry joke and a consumers' nightmare, less than a decade ago, Hyundai is fast approaching the quality of Honda. Where Honda is standing still, or even moving a little backwards in terms of quality and innovation, Hyundai is making strong efforts in almost every automotive area including ultra-luxury, innovation, sporty cars and daily drivers.

In my opinion, they are only at 4/5ths at this point, but they are moving fast. I suspect that the FR-S represents, not just Akio Toyoda's personal desire to add more energy to the lineup - but is a sophisticated response to the new blood that Hyundai/Kia is bringing to the marketplace. Toyota is running scared, and making better cars because of it.

I think we owe thanks to Hyundai for re-igniting automotive competition that has resulted in the cars like the FR-Z. It is similar to how the rise of Honda in the 80's made Toyota build and design much better cars.
FRiSson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRiSson For This Useful Post:
DarthNads (07-31-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 01:17 PM   #100
russv
First 86

Drives: Scion FRS Argento Automatic
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
One has to consider the source of the hate.

Life is short...NO BORING CARS
russv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:52 PM   #101
DIREWOLF

Drives: Firestorm FR-S; Jade Green Tacoma
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRiSson View Post
I think we owe thanks to Hyundai for re-igniting automotive competition.

I'm not trying to be rude, but I think it's too early to bank on the idea that Hyundai "re-ignited" automotive competition after only making one ok sports car. I think the only way Hyundai would get any respect is if they can continue to make more cars that are on par with the Genesis coupe, as well as winning races in motorsport (e.g. F1, Le Mans, Champ, Indy, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRiSson View Post
Hyundai is fast approaching the quality of Honda. Where Honda is standing still, or even moving a little backwards in terms of quality and innovation.
Honda is great company with race proven technology. Honda engines were considered the ticket to Grand Prix glory due to their power, reliability, sophistication and winning track record. Honda supplied its engines to six constructor champs (Williams, Mclaren, Lotus, etc), as well as five driver championships (3 by Senna, 1 by Piquet, and another by Prost).

Last edited by DIREWOLF; 07-31-2012 at 04:40 PM.
DIREWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:53 PM   #102
cgrey

Drives: 2013 Argento Silver FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIREWOLF View Post

I'm not trying to be rude, but I think it's too early to bank on the idea that Hyundai "re-ignited" automotive competition after only making one ok sports car. I think the only way Hyundai would get any respect is if they can continue to make more cars that are on par with the Genesis coupe, as well as winning races in motorsport (e.g. F1, Le Mans, Champ, Indy, etc.)

Honda is great company with race proven technology. Honda engines were considered the ticket to Grand Prix glory due to their power, reliability, sophistication and winning track record. Honda supplied its engines to six constructor champs (Williams, Mclaren, Lotus, etc), as well as five driver championships (3 by Senna, 1 by Piquet, and another by Prost).

Normal people don't give a shit who wins what race. They couldn't even name a race. Race cars undergo total rebuilds when they get back to the stables. Owning a car is not a race. Have you driven a Civic lately? Power and sophistication? F1?

Hyundai has been gobbling up Honda/Toyota/Nissan sales at a rapid, ever increasing rate. Their cars are cheaper and on par with those brands, so why pay more? Some of their cars are even better.

They're also hitting the luxury segment pretty hard right now.

Hyundai is beating the Japanese at their own game (sell shitty cars for cheap, work upward in quality and price over the years) and that will require a response if they wish to remain in business. Which means we get better choices. More commuter cars, more sports cars, more everything.

That's what they're talking about.
cgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:16 PM   #103
DIREWOLF

Drives: Firestorm FR-S; Jade Green Tacoma
While the builds maybe differ greatly from racing circuit to street, the technology trickles down to regular cars for us regular people to enjoy. (e.g. paddle shifting, synchro rev-match, too many to list) I do agree with you that bang for the buck, Hyundai and Kia's prices are hard to match. The new Kia Optima limited looks pretty luxurious for the price.

Last edited by DIREWOLF; 07-31-2012 at 06:52 PM.
DIREWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:20 PM   #104
mattles
Proud of FR Layout

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I dunno, I kind of like the smack talk of Genesis v FRS/BRZ -- its like our own updated version of the original pony car rivalry. Both the Genesis and FT86 are great cars, ours handles better but they have more power.

If you ask me, I still respect the Genesis guys more than the bro-raging 370z dbags.
AsphaltLover (08-01-2012), DarthNads (07-31-2012), driftartist (07-31-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 07:43 PM   #105
DarthNads

Drives: 2003 Mazda Protege 5 limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattles View Post
I dunno, I kind of like the smack talk of Genesis v FRS/BRZ -- its like our own updated version of the original pony car rivalry. Both the Genesis and FT86 are great cars, ours handles better but they have more power.

If you ask me, I still respect the Genesis guys more than the bro-raging 370z dbags.
Top down top down!

Rivalry is always fun, brings about better competition. Sadly most people get egotistical about it.
DarthNads is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarthNads For This Useful Post:
ngabdala (07-31-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 09:13 PM   #106
rwd_
Textbook Narcissist

Drives: GPW AP1
Maybe the GC guys are mad because every auto related comparison between the two cars (FR-S/Genesis Coupe) results in the FR-S being better?

GC fan boys have to defend themselves if the "experts" aren't.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:41 PM   #107
reeves

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I don't really care about brand.. I simply wanted a relatively light, good-looking, fun-to-drive, reliable RWD car with enough cargo/back seat space for an out of town trip for 2, less than $30K new, with at least 30MPG highway (for my daily work commute), a stiff sporty suspension, and a good shifter/clutch that I don't mind shifting for the heck of it if I'm stuck in traffic.

If the GC met all those requirements, I'd gladly buy it
reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:00 PM   #108
Napoleon

Drives: BRZ WRB Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Agreed. It is unbelieveably true where I live. I get a lot of snobby BRZ owners telling FRS owners to "BEAT THIS FRS.. HIDS!" and in my head, I am doing a giant facepalm because this is absolutely snobbish. Plus.. I can just buy HIDs here for $60... Please, just respect both cars. And in a much larger sense, have some respect as to where the car originates, you know?
Don't lose hope, there are still many objective and considerate BRZ owners out there. I own a BRZ but I still love the FRS. I just happen to be someone who wanted features from the Limited trim. Also, I must be among the few who likes the red bolsters on the seats. The FRS being a Scion does not bother me. If it offered the same features as a GT86/BRZ, I would definitely have a difficult time choosing whether I like the FRS bumper better or the color World Rally Blue better.

The GC owners are correct in that most folks who purchase the FRS/BRZ will not bring it to the track where it will excel, compared to highway roads. It does not however make it a 'wrong' purchase even if the buyer has no intention of using the car for one its' original purpose. Some folks may have bought the car because it has beautiful styling, it is moderately quick, decently practical, enjoyable to drive, good MPGs, and or comes with wonderful amenities. It does not excel in one area, but it is balanced by being a good enough all rounder. I bought the BRZ for those exact reasons, and it is also why I considered the GTI Autobahn for the first half of last year until I changed my mind about rear-wheel drive. Buy what makes you happy.
Napoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:42 PM   #109
BuBlake
Chronic Flashturbator

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S MT
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
You can easily fit a full-sized mountain bike in the trunk, given it has an easily removable front wheel. Try to do that with a used corvette!

That, and the car is the only option if you want fuel economy, independent rear suspension, great handling, rear-drive, and manual transmission. My runner up was the Genesis 2.0T, but it's heavy, gets bad understeer, and would always make me wish I had the v6... That, and the new front-end is fugly pardon me.
BuBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #110
jstans84
Banned

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Han
What you think, I'm gonna let you roll in a Hyundai?
^^^
jstans84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:06 AM   #111
Synack
Boosted

Drives: Sideways
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Their arguments are invalid. Every review for these 2 cars has the FR-S as the better car. They're probably justifying their purchase because they're jealous that they didn't have the patience to get this car once it came out. There is little justification for buying a Genesis.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #112
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synack View Post
Their arguments are invalid. Every review for these 2 cars has the FR-S as the better car. They're probably justifying their purchase because they're jealous that they didn't have the patience to get this car once it came out. There is little justification for buying a Genesis.
There's plenty of justification. They ones who purchased the Genesis Coupe did so because they liked the car better. That's all the justification they need.
It offers less sports-car compromise, and is probably a more refined DD with increased rear seat room as well.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote