follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-05-2011, 09:47 PM   #15
KTB

Drives: Nissan Titan
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I agree with some of what's been said so far. It is 2011 now and a truly back to basics no frivolous stuff sports car... You're gonna need an older used one or a lotus. as for the traction control, some sort of traction control or electronic stability program either is required by law or will be soon. Iirc tire pressure sensors are required by the DOT on 2008 and up vehicles. Heck by 2015 backup cameras might be mandatory. The gov does it all in the name of safety because to the vast majority of people cars are only for getting from A-B and they want the car to take care of them so they don't have to become good drivers. As long as the t.c. has an off switch that really turns it off it's fine by me. Not the off switch you find in a dodge charger/challenger that gives you a light saying it's off but only tones it down a bit.

Oh and an LSD, if it doesn't have one that will be a huge let down. Even the base model should have one now a days.
KTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:23 PM   #16
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxim View Post
Everybody is all concerned about the big stuff still, since we don't know any of it, so maybe this is premature, but the everyday details can really make or break a car. With that said, what "little things" would you like to see on the production version of this car?

My list of do want:

- one touch up and down windows
- fold flat rear seats
- SD card slot linked to the sound system for easy audio so I don't have to put my zune in a cup holder
- FULLY defeatable traction/stability controls
- interior map lights using red light (allows you to see stuff in the car at night without turning on the overhead lights, and preserves your night vision)
- REAR WIPER
- no, seriously. Rear wiper
- sequencial rear turn signals of some sort (one of the coolest exterior features of the 2010+ mustang)
- Rear window defroster that WORKS. Japanese cars tend to be a bit weak in this area in my experience
- if it gets a turbo, a boost gauge
- a nice fat steering wheel with a flat bottom
- optional recaros
- readouts for fuel economy (instant and average)
- ability to get a loaded model without navigation
- cloth upholstry that doesn't look like crap
- ecu tuning which does not hold onto revs (this is used to lower emissions in modern cars but it's hellishly annoying for rev matching and hurts the sound of the engine....if it must be included, please give me a "sport" button with more aggressive throttle calibration which eliminates it)

Ok that's everything I could think of off the top of my head that is reasonably easy to implement and would t send costs soaring. What'd I miss?
- One touch up/down has been standard since like 1995 no?
- They'll fold down, maybe not flat
- Concept has USB ports for a flash drive, they'll likely go that route, as they can double to plug in portable audio devices.
- Probable
- Inconsequential
- Doesn't matter to me, but I hope that works out for you.
- Inconsequential, but likely
- If there is hatchback version, it'll have one, otherwise, not likely.
- See concept and new scion tC
- If they have to be optional, why not just go aftermarket?
- Probable.. most cars these days do this.
- Unlikely
- We can all wish
- What? you want an automatic??!?! WTF?

Anyway, the long and short of it is, none of these little things will stop you from buying the car. It'll make you curse and bitch at it, but you'll still love it. If not, it's not really the car you are looking for I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
I started the threat about Synchro Rev here. Statistically, majority don't want it.

Quote:
Responses in blue We've obviously got really different priorities when it comes to cars though, since I disagreed with almost all of your points lol
This car is for enthusiasts, by enthusiast. It just needs to be pretty enough for the posers to like it and keep up the sales. An automatic will probably have the feature anyway, so nothing missing on either side anyway.

erm... why are you interested in this car again?

Anyway, the long and short of it is, make it the right wieght, drive right, with enough power and keep it a good looking 6 speed coupe, almost no one on here will really care about much else than "how cheap can I get it for". Do they even still make cars without basic amenities?
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:32 AM   #17
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I want them to make a stripped model and like more than 3 of them worldwide. It's amazing how hard it can be to convince a dealer that you really want a completely option free car. Then telling them you want it in a specific colour. Then convincing them to go and find one. And then finally convincing them to bring it in. (I spent 2 weeks helping my buddy buy a completely option free Civic in the colour he wanted. At the dealer every day, walking out, bringing in competitor ads, etc... As I understand it they have to split the sale with the dealer it comes from. And on a stripped car, that's not a whole lot of money to make.)

Even better would be a return to factory/dealer delete options like the old muscle cars did. Kind of like what was said about the buy-back, but they actually used to do it in the olden days...

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:48 AM   #18
Maxim

Drives: 2010 GTI 2dr Tornado Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post
- What? you want an automatic??!?! WTF?

Anyway, the long and short of it is, none of these little things will stop you from buying the car. It'll make you curse and bitch at it, but you'll still love it. If not, it's not really the car you are looking for.

erm... why are you interested in this car again?

Anyway, the long and short of it is, make it the right wieght, drive right, with enough power and keep it a good looking 6 speed coupe, almost no one on here will really care about much else than "how cheap can I get it for". Do they even still make cars without basic amenities?
Erm...I'll never own anything other than a manual. I hate automatics. Where are you getting this from?

I'm merely being realistic. This is gonna be a daily driver and a part time fun car. I'll probably auto-x it. Having driven the snot out of a 370z, I found the synchro rev match feature extremely useful in traffic. It allowed me to seamlessly downshift and match revs while wearing my combat boots (which make it impossible to heel/toe). Made for a nice smooth drive and let me use engine braking and save the breaks. Its still a full manual transmission, and the automatic throttle blip feature is completely defeatable.

I didnt mention any of this hardcore electronic free stuff because there is no chance in hell of it happening. Stability control and traction control are legally required now, along with airbags and seatbelts and crumple zones. You will not be getting a car without those things, period. I won't buy the car unless they're fully defeatable, but they WILL be included.

A decent stereo and some amenities that let me comfortably use the car every day are not a big deal and apart from speakers, none of it adds weight. Relax man, the car will be plenty fun.

If YOU are looking for a barely street legal car with no electronics and every aspect entirely focused on speed then I think YOU are looking at the wrong car. Unless you have the means to fully convert the thing yourself, and in that case you'd prolly be better off getting an older used vehicle and rebuilding it to your own specs
Maxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:00 AM   #19
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Having neither driven a 370Z, nor having dainty coordinated feet, I am intrigued by the rev-matching that could be easily incorporated with the e-throttle.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:45 AM   #20
Maxim

Auto blips the throttle to the exact revs when you downshift. I've been driving a manual a long time but frankly the system works better than I ever could. And for purists, u can turn it off. It really is great
Old 01-06-2011, 08:23 AM   #21
Matador
hashiryu

Quote:
Erm...I'll never own anything other than a manual. I hate automatics. Where are you getting this from?

I'm merely being realistic. This is gonna be a daily driver and a part time fun car. I'll probably auto-x it. Having driven the snot out of a 370z, I found the synchro rev match feature extremely useful in traffic. It allowed me to seamlessly downshift and match revs while wearing my combat boots (which make it impossible to heel/toe). Made for a nice smooth drive and let me use engine braking and save the breaks. Its still a full manual transmission, and the automatic throttle blip feature is completely defeatable.

I didnt mention any of this hardcore electronic free stuff because there is no chance in hell of it happening. Stability control and traction control are legally required now, along with airbags and seatbelts and crumple zones. You will not be getting a car without those things, period. I won't buy the car unless they're fully defeatable, but they WILL be included.

A decent stereo and some amenities that let me comfortably use the car every day are not a big deal and apart from speakers, none of it adds weight. Relax man, the car will be plenty fun.

If YOU are looking for a barely street legal car with no electronics and every aspect entirely focused on speed then I think YOU are looking at the wrong car. Unless you have the means to fully convert the thing yourself, and in that case you'd prolly be better off getting an older used vehicle and rebuilding it to your own specs

If you say so. Like I said, I want a car that's focused. Anything aside from the basics that most cars already come with (A/C, stereo, power windows, etc.) I don't really need. Entune is nice, but just a distraction IMO. I will admit that I like the USB ports on the concept.. I'd stick in a USB before I even think about burning a CD, but this car is supposed to be about DRIVING PLEASURE.. My Point still stands, these little things will not stop me from buying the car. As long as it looks good, drives right and comes in at the power/weight I'm looking for it's all good. If I'm enamored enough to get a second, perhaps turbo one for daily driver duties.. or the other way around, then I might begin to worry about that. We'll see how the garage looks at that time.

p.s. Why do you need to heel and toe downshift in traffic??!?
Old 01-06-2011, 11:38 AM   #22
dalli

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
If you say so. Like I said, I want a car that's focused. Anything aside from the basics that most cars already come with (A/C, stereo, power windows, etc.) I don't really need. Entune is nice, but just a distraction IMO. I will admit that I like the USB ports on the concept.. I'd stick in a USB before I even think about burning a CD, but this car is supposed to be about DRIVING PLEASURE.. My Point still stands, these little things will not stop me from buying the car. As long as it looks good, drives right and comes in at the power/weight I'm looking for it's all good. If I'm enamored enough to get a second, perhaps turbo one for daily driver duties.. or the other way around, then I might begin to worry about that. We'll see how the garage looks at that time.

jeeeezzzzzzzz dammit, you sir do not have the right to tell people this car is not for them. You should not worry about people buying this car with an automatic transmission.

btw, where are you from?
dalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:49 AM   #23
Maxim

Quote:

You don't NEED to heel/toe in traffic but it can come in quite handy when you're trying to drive smoothly and stay off the brakes, which in turn really helps fuel economy, besides being absolutely great practice for doing it on a track day. If you can heel/toe in traffic, you can do it on an auto-x. It's just force of habit for me I guess....I use it as often as I can, both because it's smooth, saves on brakes, and I love that nice little throttle blip each shift. It's also quite useful in snowy/icy conditions when using the brakes can sometimes result in a loss of control.

I wasn't trying to imply that you SHOULD want a bunch of extras. As I said before, I'm being realistic. The car, being a modern toyota, is going to come with all manner of electronic goodies. Whether they offer a stripped down version, like Hyundai did with the 2.0T R Genesis Coupe, is entirely up to Toyota, and it sounds to me like that'd be the model for you. But they're also going to offer a nicely equipped version for a bit more cash. That's more my style, because I frankly cannot afford more than one good vehicle (not to mention the logistics of moving multiple vehicles across oceans and borders is an absolute nightmare).

This thread was only meant to be a "I'd really like if this came as an option or if the car were available with this feature" thread. Making certain things available as options in no way hurts the car's abilities so long as you can opt out of them, as people like you are more likely to do.

None of these things are "I will not buy the car unless" for me....they're just little things that I like. Well....except for having the traction and stability control be COMPLETELY defeatable. That's an absolute must for me. There's only three things I don't love about my current car (2010 GTI, manual). One...it drives the wrong wheels. Two, even when you turn off the DSC, the stability control will still step in if you push hard enough, and three...the "limited slip" is not a mechanical limited slip. It uses the front brakes to slow wheel spin on the inside tire during aggressive cornering, instead of an actual physical gear system. While it works wonderfully well, at least as well as a mechanical limited slip, the trade off is that it heats up the brakes extremely quickly, resulting in brake fade after only a few runs at an auto-x.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:39 PM   #24
evandael

Drives: E30 325e
What I'd love..

great optional stereo (Bose, etc..)
heated leather NON POWER seats
black headliner
loaded car WITHOUT NAV, WITHOUT SUNROOF
tilt/telescope wheel
digital heads/up and controls very much like the concept (i love the S2K for this reason, everything is within reach)
defeatable traction/stability control
mechanical LSD

Here's to hoping!
evandael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:15 PM   #25
Maxim

Quote:
Originally Posted by evandael View Post
What I'd love..

great optional stereo (Bose, etc..)
heated leather NON POWER seats
black headliner
loaded car WITHOUT NAV, WITHOUT SUNROOF
tilt/telescope wheel
digital heads/up and controls very much like the concept (i love the S2K for this reason, everything is within reach)
defeatable traction/stability control
mechanical LSD

Here's to hoping!
Haha....basically the exact same list as me!

I'd also like the manual transmission to be very direct...a lot of toyota transmissions are rubbery feeling, which I know is mostly the linkage. I'm not usually a fan of aftermarket short throw shifters, as all they really do is increase effort by reducing the leverage of the shifter (making it shorter). It's not like you can really shift them any faster....your hand just moves a shorter distance at the cost of higher effort. So a nice snickety-snikt transmission from the factory would be nice.

And while I know a lot of people would consider it heresy, if they offered the car with a good dual-clutch transmission with paddle shifters, I'd have a hard time choosing between that and a traditional manual. It makes the car faster and they're actually very nice to operate. I'd be completely un-interested if it was a paddle shifter system linked to a traditional automatic...but the dual clutch transmissions are VERY nice. So long as it absolutely did NOT shift itself without me telling it to.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:27 PM   #26
oneday
Opinionated

Drives: Something Red
Quote:
Wow. We agree on something. I had just gotten into an discussion on another forum where someone was saying they H-T all the time in traffic...I just don't get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4agze
on/off ABS will be cool
I don't know of a single car that has defeatable ABS and can't imagine any mfg making a street car with this feature--hell, Toyota didn't even fully defeat TCS in the tC.

Must haves (deal breakers):
6spd
Defeatable TCS

Would like as available options so I can elect not to get them:
Sun roof (or any other glass or non-metal solid roof)
Cruise control
Nav
Leather seats

Would like as available options so I can elect to get them:
LSD
Alcantara or cloth seats with a harness pass-through

Pretty much everything else (bigger brakes, suspension, gauges, wheel options) can be gotten easily in the after market.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:18 PM   #27
Matador
hashiryu

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneday View Post
Wow. We agree on something. I had just gotten into an discussion on another forum where someone was saying they H-T all the time in traffic...I just don't get it.
Holy shit, the planets must have just all aligned

Quote:
I wasn't trying to imply that you SHOULD want a bunch of extras. As I said before, I'm being realistic. The car, being a modern toyota, is going to come with all manner of electronic goodies. Whether they offer a stripped down version, like Hyundai did with the 2.0T R Genesis Coupe, is entirely up to Toyota, and it sounds to me like that'd be the model for you. But they're also going to offer a nicely equipped version for a bit more cash. That's more my style, because I frankly cannot afford more than one good vehicle (not to mention the logistics of moving multiple vehicles across oceans and borders is an absolute nightmare).

Granted.

And no. For me a stripped model = no carpeting, wind up windows, AC delete, rear seat delete. I'd not be interested in that just yet. Probably when I'm looking to do an FT-86 race car. I'm not going to repeat myself as to what I want again, because I already made myself clear.

This thread was only meant to be a "I'd really like if this came as an option or if the car were available with this feature" thread. Making certain things available as options in no way hurts the car's abilities so long as you can opt out of them, as people like you are more likely to do.

Totally agree, but by offering certain things, then it just makes it harder to find the car you want at an agreeable price, because dealers will always load up cars for a higher transaction price.

None of these things are "I will not buy the car unless" for me....they're just little things that I like. Well....except for having the traction and stability control be COMPLETELY defeatable. That's an absolute must for me.

I apologize. It seemed like it. See my first post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalli View Post
jeeeezzzzzzzz dammit, you sir do not have the right to tell people this car is not for them. You should not worry about people buying this car with an automatic transmission.

btw, where are you from?
lol. I'm sorry. Might have gotten a little carried away.

Why do you wanna know where I'm from?
Old 01-06-2011, 09:16 PM   #28
djohnson

Drives: 1996 RAV4
The "little" thing I want most is a good old-fashioned throttle cable, none of this drive by wire stuff for me. Tried it and still drive a vehicle with it occasionally but still don't like it. If not, have the computer permit feathering, heel and toe, blips, whatever you wish to call it rather than interpreting these things as mistakes. When I hit the gas I want throttle, and I want it NOW.
djohnson is offline   Reply With Quote