follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 06-13-2014, 12:48 PM   #813
Prog

Drives: 2016 Cadillac CTS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinh View Post
Will the navigation work without any internet? I guess it depends on the app if it allows it, so which app allows it?

edit: so far i only saw that sygic and waze can do offline nav
You can cache maps locally with Google Maps before you leave your house if you'd like.
Prog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:19 PM   #814
Deathalo

Drives: 2013 WR Blue Limited Manual BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2R View Post
Yeah audio in bespoke system is actually probably better than this unit but then again i haven't tuned this one yet.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
@SilverlightPony @sluflyer06

The audio on this unit is actually very good, I find it much better than the OEM BRZ HU, but only when tuned with Viper EQ on the high quality audio processing driver (I didn't try super high because I don't think the unit could handle it). Everything sounds amazing now with my stock speakers sans SW, especially FLAC content in Poweramp!

Has anyone tried installing this app to change the hard button actions? http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=850464

I'm going to give it a shot and will let you know!
Deathalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:24 PM   #815
Deathalo

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinh View Post
Will the navigation work without any internet? I guess it depends on the app if it allows it, so which app allows it?

edit: so far i only saw that sygic and waze can do offline nav
Sygic can and to my surprise one day I found out so can waze, which is awesome cause it's my favorite map app, I have it 'mapped' (no pun) to the GPS button. Google Maps offline cache works well too.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:08 PM   #816
bwthor

Drives: gray
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Well, I pulled the trigger on my mouse and bought one this afternoon. Hope it doesn't take too long to get here!

Are there any other forum threads about this unit? I'll fit in with the Android crowd here, but drive a Chevy Pickup...
bwthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:17 PM   #817
inositle

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited WRB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathalo View Post
Sygic can and to my surprise one day I found out so can waze, which is awesome cause it's my favorite map app, I have it 'mapped' (no pun) to the GPS button. Google Maps offline cache works well too.
Google Maps won't do navigation or search while offline, it only stores the raw map image & street names. I've struggled to find a map app that is close to as user friendly as Google (or even iOS maps), that doesn't suck at getting a GPS lock, and has variable volume that doesn't stop my background audio.

CoPilot was decent, but PodcastAddict would stop playing after voice guidance. I think I couldn't figure out how to increase the voice volume in Sygic and it's pretty expensive ($31 for USA). My current best option is Navfree but sometimes the GPS lock spazzes out. MapFactor also looks nice but the search wasn't intuitive (had to enter country, city, etc... every time). I've been surprised at the (lack of) quality of these apps - maybe running on this Android unit causes issues. I'm open to any other nav apps you guys have found though

On another topic, I removed the screen protector as somebody awhile back suggested that it reduces the screen glare. Unfortunately, I've noticed the screen gets scratched like crazy just from the skin on my fingertips... I've never seen something so delicate. You can't notice it when the screen is on much, but it's obvious when it's dark and I've only owned the unit a few weeks. Will probably look for a new protector now.
inositle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:48 PM   #818
bwthor

Drives: gray
Anyone try an anti-glare screen protector?
bwthor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bwthor For This Useful Post:
DC2R (06-14-2014)
Old 06-14-2014, 03:51 PM   #819
Interflop

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
I'm just about sold on this HU. I've heard of certain speakers not working when replacing the stock HU. Have you encountered any issues with that?
Interflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:13 PM   #820
DC2R

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interflop View Post
I'm just about sold on this HU. I've heard of certain speakers not working when replacing the stock HU. Have you encountered any issues with that?
Door speakers work. You just have to make sure you wire up the rear end as described in instructions

DC2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:30 PM   #821
unsurety
aeiou

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
If only it were easy and low-maintenance to tether my data connection... using Google maps on this headunit would be perfect
unsurety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:45 PM   #822
DC2R

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsurety View Post
If only it were easy and low-maintenance to tether my data connection... using Google maps on this headunit would be perfect
Download auto-tether as stated earlier in thread

DC2R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DC2R For This Useful Post:
unsurety (06-14-2014)
Old 06-14-2014, 08:47 PM   #823
unsurety
aeiou

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2R View Post
Download auto-tether as stated earlier in thread

I found the mention after searching through the thread. Somehow missed that, followed this thread since it was made.

Problem - it looks like the autotether app is outdated as hell. It also costs $5.

There are other apps called "autotether by [X]" but they reviews look like it hasn't been updated in a while either.
unsurety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:03 PM   #824
inositle

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited WRB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Has anybody tried any sort of factory reset? Mine has been crashing/locking up when I turn the car on almost every time the last few days. I don't feel like I've done anything too crazy - I did root it and otherwise just installed podcast and nav apps + an SSH server. For example, I am sitting here now and it's rebooted 4 times and never made it back to the home screen -- it seems to be getting worse

Another quirk I've had to deal w/ is that nothing installs from the Play store and I have to copy APKs over and install manually for everything.
inositle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 12:10 AM   #825
Deathalo

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by inositle View Post
Google Maps won't do navigation or search while offline, it only stores the raw map image & street names. I've struggled to find a map app that is close to as user friendly as Google (or even iOS maps), that doesn't suck at getting a GPS lock, and has variable volume that doesn't stop my background audio.

CoPilot was decent, but PodcastAddict would stop playing after voice guidance. I think I couldn't figure out how to increase the voice volume in Sygic and it's pretty expensive ($31 for USA). My current best option is Navfree but sometimes the GPS lock spazzes out. MapFactor also looks nice but the search wasn't intuitive (had to enter country, city, etc... every time). I've been surprised at the (lack of) quality of these apps - maybe running on this Android unit causes issues. I'm open to any other nav apps you guys have found though

On another topic, I removed the screen protector as somebody awhile back suggested that it reduces the screen glare. Unfortunately, I've noticed the screen gets scratched like crazy just from the skin on my fingertips... I've never seen something so delicate. You can't notice it when the screen is on much, but it's obvious when it's dark and I've only owned the unit a few weeks. Will probably look for a new protector now.
I know Google maps doesn't do that, I just meant the caching is useful. I don't know why you wouldn't want the navigation to dim your music volume, but whatever. Also, it's not a screen protector, it's a factory film that you're SUPPOSED to take off when you get it, it's only to protect during shipment. It's like when I see people who have plastic on their flatscreens at home or monitors on their laptops, it's not supposed to stay on there...
Old 06-15-2014, 12:13 AM   #826
Deathalo

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by inositle View Post
Has anybody tried any sort of factory reset? Mine has been crashing/locking up when I turn the car on almost every time the last few days. I don't feel like I've done anything too crazy - I did root it and otherwise just installed podcast and nav apps + an SSH server. For example, I am sitting here now and it's rebooted 4 times and never made it back to the home screen -- it seems to be getting worse

Another quirk I've had to deal w/ is that nothing installs from the Play store and I have to copy APKs over and install manually for everything.
I've factory reset it before, mainly to try and fix the contacts problem I was having, it didn't fix that but I fixed it by other means. Factory resetting is easy and I've heard it fix problems for others here, I've never had any serious issues that really warranted it but sounds like it would work for you. You'll have to re-root like I did, and of course re-install everything.