follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-29-2013, 03:56 PM   #15
NWFRS

Drives: ‘13 FRS
Thanked 1,502 Times in 634 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If they fail to meet your demands, get up and tell them you're going to go look at the Hyundai Veloster Turbo next door...
NWFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:31 PM   #16
Febul

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitigir View Post
Ok, here is what I did.

1/Use Truecar.com for the reported Sold price in your area. Always try to negotiate for a good price

2/Buy the car they have on the Lot, as they can move inventory, your chance to negotiate is better

3/Be firm, be nice, but do not give in if it is not a fair deal

4/Willing to go to several dealers, even if they are 100 miles away, sometime out of state.

5/Everything can be negotiated, including MSRP, Warranty, Additional Paint sealant, details, whatever they may offer.

6/Ask to talk to the Sell Manager, if the representative can not help you

7/Show the Manager the price on truecar.com. If he/she can sell it

8/Any thing about 7-10% off MSRP is a good deal.

9/Use Roadloans.com to know your lowest possible rate, credit score. Bring the approval with you, and all required documents. I did this, when I show the financial guy, he immediately lower my interest rate.

10/ Last and not least. Be Willing to walk away. Don't be afraid. It is your money, your decision.

Most importantly, like billylammer stated. Make sure you are paying the correct amount in the Financial room. The best way is to Decline all additional options. Warranty can be purchased later.
Well, I just got back from the dealership. They were telling me something about "Pure Price", which means that all numbers are final and thus non-negotiable. The sales manager confirmed this.

They gave me an estimate of $445/month, for 60 months, with $5,000 down. Note that they didn't run my mom's credit (she'll be co-signing, and has excellent credit).

I told them that I'd consider their offer and left. I'll check out other Scion dealerships this weekend. What are your thoughts?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Febul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:37 PM   #17
Billylammerkins

Drives: 2014 Firestorm Red FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febul View Post
Well, I just got back from the dealership. They were telling me something about "Pure Price", which means that all numbers are final and thus non-negotiable. The sales manager confirmed this.

They gave me an estimate of $445/month, for 60 months, with $5,000 down. Note that they didn't run my mom's credit (she'll be co-signing, and has excellent credit).

I told them that I'd consider their offer and left. I'll check out other Scion dealerships this weekend. What are your thoughts?

The "Pure Price" thing they have is actually true. My really good friend told me they straight up never haggle for any sales when it comes to the Scion's, any of them. I don't know if its just that dealership, but she confirmed that they never ever come down on price.
Billylammerkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:49 PM   #18
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,826 Times in 16,429 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Yep, they stick to the "Pure Price" thing in these parts.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:50 PM   #19
the new guy

Drives: 2014 Asphalt FR-S/2018 Thunder GT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I just bought a new FRS a few weeks ago and the pure price thing is unfortunately true. They aren't allowed by Scion to sell under the MSRP. (My experience with 4 other dealerships, others may have been luckier). You can make it up by making them giving you the most for your trade in and knocking away the fees. Try using cars.com and searching for the lowest price and they should all be about the same.

If you don't mind used, all toyato certified vehicles come with a 100k warranty and because it's used, you CAN haggle the price.
the new guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:54 PM   #20
Febul

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWFRS View Post
If they fail to meet your demands, get up and tell them you're going to go look at the Hyundai Veloster Turbo next door...
Oddly enough, there was a Hyundai right next to the dealership I went to.

Is there a Hyundai next to all Toyota/Scion dealerships or something?

Old 11-29-2013, 10:00 PM   #21
Febul

Quote:
Originally Posted by the new guy View Post
I just bought a new FRS a few weeks ago and the pure price thing is unfortunately true. They aren't allowed by Scion to sell under the MSRP. (My experience with 4 other dealerships, others may have been luckier). You can make it up by making them giving you the most for your trade in and knocking away the fees. Try using cars.com and searching for the lowest price and they should all be about the same.

If you don't mind used, all toyato certified vehicles come with a 100k warranty and because it's used, you CAN haggle the price.
I asked if they had any used ones on the lot, and was told that they rarely do.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:20 PM   #22
NWFRS

Drives: ‘13 FRS
Thanked 1,502 Times in 634 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Oddly enough, there was a Hyundai right next to the dealership I went to.

Is there a Hyundai next to all Toyota/Scion dealerships or something?

Haha. That's funny. :-)

I don't know. Dealerships just seem to congregate.
I was only half joking. I really wanted to like the Veloster Turbo and the Genesis coupe 2.0T, test drove both. I don't know, steering feedback and suspension just didn't feel quite right to me. Both seemed cavernous on the inside, and I felt like I couldn't see anything. Any self-respecting Toyota salesman should bend over backward to keep you from going over to Hyundai. That's how brand loyalty starts...

In Bellingham WA, our Toyota/Scion dealership is also the Mercedes Benz dealer.

Seriously, the only way to beat their "pure pricing" is to get written quotes from all the dealers in your area, make copies, then mail out the dealer quotes to the other dealers. Eventually you will get someone willing to bend. Each dealership gets a spiff from Toyota at the end of the year if their volume reaches a certain limit.
NWFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:25 PM   #23
Billylammerkins

Drives: 2014 Firestorm Red FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWFRS View Post
Haha. That's funny. :-)

I don't know. Dealerships just seem to congregate.
I was only half joking. I really wanted to like the Veloster Turbo and the Genesis coupe 2.0T, test drove both. I don't know, steering feedback and suspension just didn't feel quite right to me. Both seemed cavernous on the inside, and I felt like I couldn't see anything. Any self-respecting Toyota salesman should bend over backward to keep you from going over to Hyundai. That's how brand loyalty starts...

In Bellingham WA, our Toyota/Scion dealership is also the Mercedes Benz dealer.
Companies like Larson will have multiple car dealerships congregated next to each other. The Toyota/Scion dealership I went to was also connected to Mitsubishi and Hyundai.
Billylammerkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:30 PM   #24
ciro

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

I need to read more carefully... FAIL.

Last edited by ciro; 11-29-2013 at 10:54 PM.
ciro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:33 PM   #25
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah, that's how it's supposed to be. But it at least streamlines the process. However, there are always a few dealerships that break the rules, but they're likely few and far in between. I test drove an FR-S 10 Series back in August or so, and the salesman left voicemail messages pretty frequently and in September or so was talking about how they were discounting the FR-S by $500, and then in October, the voicemail messages mentioned a $1,000 discount (though they were applicable toward the 2013s). So you never know.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:38 PM   #26
Febul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciro View Post
You are getting scammed or have terrible credit. Demand to get tier 1 or tier 1 plus. I am at $360 for 60 months with 15000 miles and I put $1500 down. I also plan I purchasing my vehicle the last day of my lease because I love the car so much.
They didn't even run my mom's credit, she'll be co-signing. I know for a fact that her credit score is excellent.

I was told that the quote that I was given was with their "tier 2" APR. But I'll be going to another Scion dealership this weekend. What do you mean "with 15,000 miles" btw?

Old 11-29-2013, 10:40 PM   #27
executor

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ae86stunt View Post
Look, 25 years from now. When most of the 86's are rust buckets.
The only ones that wont be are the ones with the "Rust inhibitor" spray.

Trust me on this one.

So if you plan to keep it that long. Buy it..
the guy that posted that is from Toronto

it's well known over here on the west of coast of canada that you never buy any cars that came from out east because the harsh winters out there turn EVERY single vehicle into a rust bucket with the amount of salts they put on the roads out there

so in a sense he's right about the rust inhibitor

but if you're not from eastern canada then no worries
executor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:51 PM   #28
FRSure

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Check your zip code for dealership prices around you.

If you live near or in Virginia, you might want to check our their dealerships.
Good deals.
http://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchr...AD&enableSeo=1
FRSure is offline   Reply With Quote