follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 11-19-2013, 07:15 AM   #15
BRZNutt

Drives: 2014 DGM Subaru Impreza 2.0i 5 Door
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Give it some time to get used to and adjust your mirrors per above and you will find this car does not have blind spots. Also follow above posters suggestion to always know your surroundings and what color/kind of car is around you. Check your mirrors often and you will be golden. I initially thought the car had blind spot problems because it was so much lower than my previous car. Once I got used to it and adjusted my mirrors correctly, I don't have any problems with blind spots.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:42 AM   #16
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Move your side view mirrors further out. As you're being passed on either side your mirror should be set up so that the car will be in your side view mirror BEFORE he leaves your rear view mirror and he should be in your peripheral vision BEFORE he leaves your side view mirror. Do this and you won't have any blind spots.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to whaap For This Useful Post:
bestwheelbase (11-19-2013)
Old 11-19-2013, 08:18 AM   #17
nalc

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited 6MT GBS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I'm going to echo the "side mirrors wide out" comments. It takes a week or two to get used to but it's so much better, and doesn't require any modifications. FWIW, I went from a Legacy GT sedan with big windows and a 17" convex clip-on mirror to the BRZ with the OEM mirrors and I didn't make any compromises with functionality - kicking the side mirrors wide to the sides like shown in the infographic is now a necessity for me. Give it a shot for like two weeks before you waste money on replacement mirrors.
nalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:49 AM   #18
Eurasianman
Chief

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
As others have said, move your mirrors further outward. It is a little awkward at first, but you will get use to it. Because of this, I did not have to buy those small blind spot mirrors that some people do and mount them to my mirrors.

It is funny when I take my car in to get service and the guy driving my car to the back has to readjust my side mirrors before he moves the car

Eurasianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:57 AM   #19
Anomie

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Very useful info, I'm gonna have to adjust my side views further out like everyone is saying.

Also, can you put on those rexspeed mirrors if you have the heated sideview mirrors option on your car or would you have to unhook them?
Anomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:00 AM   #20
Tman08

Drives: DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Cor10:23 View Post
Felt the same way when I got my frs. I adjusted my mirrors outward such that I can barely see the rear end of the car when I stick my head as close to window as I can (comfortably, not face against glass haha.) this allows you to effectively catch your blind spot in the mirror. If it's not in the mirror it's already beside you and you should be able to see in periphery.

To be honest, should be set like this for all cars, it's much safer. Only problem is that it makes it more difficult to back into spots with mirrors as it's harder to track your rear corners.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk
THIS. I learned a while ago that you need to ALWAYS set your mirrors to a 90 degree angle (as far out straight until it clicks back). Makes your corners 100% better. Just feel the distance when changing lanes, but always look over your shoulder to double check.
Tman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #21
Suberman
Banned

Drives: Subaru BRZ Sport Tech Satin White
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman08 View Post
THIS. I learned a while ago that you need to ALWAYS set your mirrors to a 90 degree angle (as far out straight until it clicks back). Makes your corners 100% better. Just feel the distance when changing lanes, but always look over your shoulder to double check.
Exact adjustment depends on your height and seat position.

The method described in car & driver article here is correct:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...id-blind-spots
Suberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Suberman For This Useful Post:
Tman08 (11-19-2013)
Old 11-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #22
Turkish
Serial Cone Killer

Drives: '14 BRZ - WRB Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Your rearview mirror sees everything behind you, adjust your side mirrors to barely overlap your rearview and you should have effectively no blind spot (turn your head anyway, there could be a motorcycle in that tiny sliver of a blindspot).
Turkish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:11 AM   #23
Whitigir
Banned

Drives: 450 awhp twin turbo vr4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
Your rearview mirror sees everything behind you, adjust your side mirrors to barely overlap your rearview and you should have effectively no blind spot (turn your head anyway, there could be a motorcycle in that tiny sliver of a blindspot).
Best Explanations. I found 2 ways of adjusting the Side mirrors. The Conditions are follows.

1/ City drive, busy street. You turn them a bit closer to your car. Busy street, and cities usually have narrow lanes, which will make the other cars closer to you, hence the blind spot is much closer. If you were to do a two lanes cross on street, you have to do one, after another, always. With this adjustments, you will always be able to tell which car is next to you, motorcycle, or pavement for park, and parallel park

2/ Mostly Highway Drive. You turn them further away from your car, because they tend to have Larger Lanes, Faster approaching vehicles, you will be able to tell the vehicles that are approaching from a few car lengths away, including Polices. You will be able to tell the vehicle in the blind spot in the next lane and at the outer lane border. You do need to turn your head for a quick second, right after the correct safety judgement call that it is safe to do so, and is the time to change lanes. This will avoid you of any car too close to your lane, small, dark color, and or a motor-cycle.

3/ Finally, under any mirrors adjustments, you have to do these following:

-Always turn your head when it safe to see, before changing lanes

-Always check around you for any Approaching vehicles when it is safe to do so. You may have to Swerve Out of an Accident in front, a deer, emergency brake....etc. Should those happens, you will be able to tell to whether to keep your lane or swerve. Most of the time...don't swerve. But if your calls are correct, avoiding an accident is the most.

-Do always, and I mean Always make sure to Visibly see On-Coming vehicles, under any Circumstances. Mirrors, and Eyes will often Deceive you under different Circumstances. For Example, If an SUV, a Truck is blocking your View. Take it slowly, leave enough space for the bigger Vehicles to see your car, and Double-triple checks before switching lanes.

I have seen enough where a guy cut into the front of a Truck, and did not leave enough room for the Truck to see his car, accident happen, the truck driver took couple minutes to realize "WTF did I hit"

I have seen enough where a guy Cut into the Front of an SUV, failed to see the approaching vehicles on the right lanes, and switch right into it, accident happens "This took a couple minutes for both to realize WTF!!"

Drive safe !! Always double checks, and tripe checks. A few seconds will not kill you, miss an exit will not kill you. But Reckless to take an exit, or to rush somewhere for a few minutes faster will KILL YOU, and KILL the FAMILY in the Other Vehicles as well
Whitigir is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Whitigir For This Useful Post:
SirBrass (11-19-2013)
Old 11-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #24
NWFRS

Drives: ‘13 FRS
Thanked 1,502 Times in 634 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Probably the safest thing would be to drive faster than everyone else, that way no one can sneak up behind you.
NWFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #25
SoCal909

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
the only blind spot for me is on the drivers side like 3/4th to the rear of the car. i got scared the first time because i was on the freeway and was going to change lanes, and luckily i always take my time to change (put on blinker, wait a few seconds, and then slowly change) because there was actually an entire damn crossover next to me that i completely did not see...

i always turn my head as well, but i can't see out the drivers back small window at all so it's not really useful to me. i am thinking of getting those wide view side mirrors as well.
SoCal909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:15 PM   #26
qoncept

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnNMPZdVAV8"]Blind Spot - Fruit and Vegetable Animation - Back to the Future - YouTube[/ame]
Old 11-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #27
uEih

Drives: CBS Subaru BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Jesus View Post
Remain aware of obstacles both behind and ahead at all times while driving. Always know who is behind you. Make, model, color. These are things you need to be have rolling through your head at all times. After that you can use your mirrors and look through the porthole window to check the situation.

It really is no different than any other vehicle if you're an attentive driver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kALMIGHTY View Post
I don't know if I'm the only one, but I feel like this is one of those cars that doesn't have a blind spot. Maybe it's just the way I have my mirrors set up or something, but being such a small car, if a car isn't in my side view mirrors, then it is either already visible on either side of the car, or there is no car there at all to begin with. Even driving next to smaller cars, by the time they leave my side view mirror, they're already well into my peripheral vision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.wood0213 View Post
I can't use my rear 1/4 windows especially drivers side. That's the main blind spot for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
sorry... if you have "blind spots" in this car, you have your side mirrors set wrong.

Your mirrors should never be able to see your lane or any part of your car. They should always overlap a tiny bit with your rear view mirror, no more.

Google it yourself: https://www.google.com/search?q=side...+no+blind+spot

-alex
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
Adjusting the side mirrors eliminates the blind spots & when set correctly, you no longer need to look over your shoulder.

This car has no mirror blind spots, & is awesome like that. Even with correctly set mirrors, I always had a sliver of blind spot that a car coming in from two lanes over could slip into & is never know it in my Imprezas. This car had none.

Add to that that I really don't need a backup camera b/c of the large, wide rear window as well. The STI & WRX had horrific rear sightlines for backing up & I needed backup cameras for them. The brz? It'd be nice for precision, but not a necessity like in my Imprezas.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Exactly this, you should always be aware of your surroundings and know the cars around you at all times, enough to make blind lane changes because you know exactly where all the cars are at.

Even if you don't do that you shouldn't have any blind spots if you have your mirrors set up correctly. I find it once a car leaves my side mirror the car will be by my side already and visible. So if a car is in the normal blind spot the car should be seen either in the mirror or through the window.
uEih is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to uEih For This Useful Post:
Evil Jesus (11-19-2013)
Old 11-19-2013, 08:50 PM   #28
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
i use the little round blind spot mirrors. why? because i used to have a convertible.. it had a larger blind spot if i turned around and looked than if i used the mirror