follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 10-11-2013, 10:52 PM   #1009
BC-Boy

Drives: 2013 Brz sport-tech
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Uni-Tune

kind of pissed I have to pay more to have the custom map feature.. I wanted to dyno tune myself a map for in the cool spring/fall and a map for warm/hot summers. get dialed in but 290 extra for that software... with all my shiping costs and that im close to a ecutek tune which was what I was trying to stay away from. high costs. dam.
BC-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #1010
abutterman

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited - WRB, MT
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
just wanted to say A+ customer service from @Unichip Jack. My Flux2 wiring harness came apart where it connects to the Flux2 itself. Jack had me send it to him directly and not even 2 days after he received it, it's on its way back to me.

The unichip itself has been pretty awesome. I currently only have a Greddy SP Elite axel back exhaust and a kartboy crank pulley and everything else is stock. I've been running the stock map (fuel~ timing+) and it gained a nice bit of low end torque. I can actually roll in 1st gear now at around 1000rpm without it shaking like a mechanical bull ride and if i let the rpm drop in any particular gear it accelerates much smoother and doesn't bog the engine. Looking forward to seeing what it can do once i do something about the intake and maybe some more exhaust components.

I haven't installed the flat foot shift/launch control cable yet as i need to contact unichipwholesale to get the maps and whatnot but i do have a question... with flat foot shift, does it only work when at WOT or can i just be casually cruising and shift without lifting off the gas?
abutterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:25 PM   #1011
BII302

Drives: Bimmer
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abutterman View Post
I haven't installed the flat foot shift/launch control cable yet as i need to contact unichipwholesale to get the maps and whatnot but i do have a question... with flat foot shift, does it only work when at WOT or can i just be casually cruising and shift without lifting off the gas?
Let me know if you get in contact with them cause I've tried emailing twice already with no luck

Sent using telepathy
BII302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:16 PM   #1012
abutterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BII302 View Post
Let me know if you get in contact with them cause I've tried emailing twice already with no luck

Sent using telepathy
I'm gonna try to call them. I added the free softawre to cart and it looks like it went through but when i click the link in the email to register and create an account, it just brings me to my order page and i get stuck in a loop. if i go to the part of the site where the maps are, it says i don't have access
The Following User Says Thank You to abutterman For This Useful Post:
neutron256 (11-07-2013)
Old 10-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #1013
alderaan34

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I'm gonna try to call them. I added the free softawre to cart and it looks like it went through but when i click the link in the email to register and create an account, it just brings me to my order page and i get stuck in a loop. if i go to the part of the site where the maps are, it says i don't have access
If youre talking about the unichip warehouse place it tells you have to make a purchase to get access to their maps, or you have to buy access.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
alderaan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #1014
abutterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by alderaan34 View Post
If youre talking about the unichip warehouse place it tells you have to make a purchase to get access to their maps, or you have to buy access.

yea when you get to the page, it says "upgrade membership" with a few options, one of them being the free reflash software. I "purchased" the free software twice but never get any confirmation or instructions other than the initial order confirmation and the website just loops back. Kinda confused
Old 10-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #1015
alderaan34

Garage
Quote:
yea when you get to the page, it says "upgrade membership" with a few options, one of them being the free reflash software. I "purchased" the free software twice but never get any confirmation or instructions other than the initial order confirmation and the website just loops back. Kinda confused
No I meam they tell you that buying the software doesnt count, they want your money, I tried it before.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:42 PM   #1016
abutterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by alderaan34 View Post
No I meam they tell you that buying the software doesnt count, they want your money, I tried it before.

interesting... when you go to the page to buy the launch control cable, it just says its $17 and mentions nothing about additional map purchases. They should probably clarify that
Old 10-18-2013, 08:46 PM   #1017
alderaan34

Garage
Quote:
interesting... when you go to the page to buy the launch control cable, it just says its $17 and mentions nothing about additional map purchases. They should probably clarify that
Yeah it sucks, I think they specifically want you to get their dl cable, or just buy access.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #1018
alderaan34

Garage
If you go to the reflash software description and click on the dropdown to delect the different options to buy there is the software and software + maps which costs $25

Old 10-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #1019
phanguy

Drives: Scion FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
i only bought a 5-way switch and a download cable from the guy. the 5-way switch he sent me was the wrong one. i called him up and let him know. he'll send the right one as soon as he has one in stock. i also asked him for map access and he just straight up gave it to me no big deal. after looking at the maps warehouse and comparing them to the maps that @Unichip Jack has i think you're better off with Jack's. There are way more maps for starters. plus as you already know, if you have problems with the maps then the warehouse guy isn't that great at communication. @Unichip Jack is a stand up guy and will write you back FAST.
phanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #1020
DJ_Joee

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport/Tech Pearl White
hey jack, i would first like to thank you for an awesome product and even better backup and support of it, this thing works great on my brz limited and seriously makes me feel the gains of my boltons and my buddy has a stock frs and noticed the huge difference when i took him for a ride but my question to you is so:

here in canada the highest rating fuel is octane 94 its called ultra 94 and its from petro canada gas stations now i personally have always used this in this car and my previous but the get the most out it what map combination should i try or use?

my setup includes the aem intake (i did not use the calibrator that came with it as you instructed us) and a magna flow catback exhaust running the octane 94 fuel

my two current maps are as follows:

o - aem CAI (no calibrator) + all catB (fuel normal, timing normal) octane 92

I - (unichip wholesale map,i bought LC wire from there witch is useless to me now as they don't have aem + LC maps) aem CAI (no calibrator) + all catB (fuel normal, timing normal) octane 93

not trying to take sides but i feel more confident using your maps but you don't have anything to benefit from octane 94 so i am using unichip wholesales 93 octane map

should i stick to that or would your octane 92 tune running rich fuel and advance timing give me better results?

thanks in advance
DJ_Joee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #1021
Unichip Jack

Drives: E36 M3, Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
DJ Joee… thanks for the post and I’m happy you’re enjoying the kit. Two thoughts about your question…

First, play with all the appropriate maps you can find. One of the beauties of normally aspirated applications is you aren’t going to hurt the engine by trying something different for a short period as long as it a reasonable map because the OE ECU safe guards are still working. If you run something “bad,” the OE ECU will protect the engine and you’ll “feel” the engine making less power.

Let’s define “bad” as (1) a map from a different map family – a K&N CAI map with your AEM intake for example, which is “bad”because the fueling solution between the two is pretty different… or (2) a map for much higher octane fuel than your running, which is “bad” because the fuel won’t support the timing… and potentially (3) a map from an unknown tuner or source because you don’t necessarily know what’s in there.

Octane is always a question… and in some ways everybody overthinks it. Every engine’s combustion chamber is designed for a particular octane fuel… the octane rating determines the flame propagation rate which must start at the correct time in the compression stroke so it finishes at the correct time. When it finishes – completely burns the mixture – is the critical part. If the burn is incomplete because it starts too late… you lose power. If it completes too early, you get knock… and lose power. Running the "designed" octane fuel with optimum timing is as much power as the engine - in that configuration - will make.

The engine makes the best power where the mixture is completely burned, and that’s where we’re setting the timing for each of the maps. That’s nominally for 92 octane fuel, but changing the octane one point either way really isn’t much of a change.

If you’re running 94, you should try a timing in map, or a fuel out map (leaning out the mixture effectively decreases the fuel’s octane rating), or even a fuel out/timing in map and see what happens.

What you’re watching for is a flashing CEL…if you get one, the map has too much timing. If you don’t get a flashing CEL, what you’re looking for is power and smooth acceleration. If the car is quicker, use the new map. If the power is the same, use the more conservative map (less timing and/or more fuel) since the “aggression” isn’t getting you anything.

Cheers
Unichip Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unichip Jack For This Useful Post:
Boofneenee (10-29-2013), DJ_Joee (10-26-2013)
Old 10-26-2013, 11:50 PM   #1022
DJ_Joee

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport/Tech Pearl White
Thanks Jack i will get to it as soon as i get my hand on a windows laptop again as my mac is no good for the software

Also do you have any control or power over the launch control maps ? As i said unichip wholesale's maps for it is very limited as they only have limited number of maps and dont have one for my AEM
DJ_Joee is offline   Reply With Quote