follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 12-29-2012, 06:39 PM   #15
ScionFrsFan

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerr6 View Post
I finished the install earlier today, I just have to iron out a few things. I did make a video (not a good one, but it shows how simple everything is to install). I will also be making another one this summer, that I plan on spending 3-4 hours to make/edit, so that it would be a professional shot.

I will be editng the footage this week to see how it turned out. I only had my gopro, so it's a shot in the dark haha.

If anyone has any questions about the install, please feel free to message me. It was extremely easy ( I did it in the snow while it was snowing out)
How does the car feel now?
Old 12-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #16
ScionFrsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unichip Jack View Post
AT guys… as I said in the Vendor forum, I’m confident our MT maps will perfectly fit but we’re getting an AT car in the next two weeks to confirm that with testing. One of the strengths of the Unichip, and the way it works, is the changes we need to make tend to be identical regardless of the transmission bolted up behind the flywheel.

I’ve received several questions/comments about the installation’s (1) complexity and (2) “wiring mess…” and I certainly understand both concerns.

Installation complexity… it’s just not… truly. The basic kit installs with 3 plugs, one bolt, and the Unichip… everything is right on top of the engine and it won’t take ten minutes. You can easily see for yourself… print out the instructions (http://www.unichip.us/system/uploads/assets/Scion%20FR-S%20Installation%20Instructions.pdf or just take your notebook/tablet out to your car, open the hood, and find the connectors the kit plugs into… there’s one on the intake tube, one on the throttle body, and one at the back side of the engine. You can even disconnect and reconnect the plugs… that’s all you’ll do to install the kit.

Installation video… as soon as everybody’s back from the holiday next week, we’ll get the installation video out of editing and posted… but it’s really a simple task. bakerr6 says he’ll also do a “member’s version…” as soon as he can mush through the snow to his car!

Messy looking installation fears… the kit is one three-ish foot harness that’s completely finished and enclosed in the same convoluted tubing you find in most engine compartments. You’re not cutting, splicing, soldering, or anything else… plug in the plugs, remove/reinstall one bolt, close the hood, and enjoy.

Editing the Unichip tables “live…” if I understand the question, yes you can absolutely edit live. Remember we have options to (1) change maps loaded in the Unichip, (2) download new maps to the Unichip, and (3) edit the values in maps.

The Unichip has up to 5 maps loaded into it and you switch between them with the flip of a switch… there is no “download” or editing… it’s like changing a TV channel.

I outlined downloading in the first post in this thread and there’s a overview of it here http://www.unichip.us/267-faq-can-i-reprogram-my-unichip

I think ft sjo is asking is can you “tune” live and the answer is yes. I didn’t get into it previously but there are actually two different tuning interface options for the Unichip.

In the first, you make keyboard changes in a table and download the updated map when you’re finished… that download takes ~ 10 seconds.

In the second, you can use “tuning pots;” with the tuning pots “enabled” in the software, you can literally turn a knob and change the AFR as you're driving without doing a download. Once the AFR is what you want, you hit an enter button and that value is stored in the Unichip. I think that’s about as “on the fly” it gets.

Thanks for all the questions and enjoy the weekend.
How often do you add new parts for the maps?
Old 12-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #17
glorydays
Remember me?

Drives: BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
This may not be a good question to ask you but I know very little about tuning. I just want to know if it is possible to import tunes from other tuners that use ecutek like visconti?
glorydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #18
bakerr6

Drives: 2013 raven black fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I haven't had the chance to drive it yet(buried in snow, have to clean the driveway. I can tell you it's eliminated my idle issues I was having though. I'm taking it out tomorrow morning and will update you. He's included 5 different maps, so I'll try 3 out of the 5.
bakerr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:01 PM   #19
bakerr6

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorydays View Post
This may not be a good question to ask you but I know very little about tuning. I just want to know if it is possible to import tunes from other tuners that use ecutek like visconti?
That is a great question! You can use tunes started from other tuners, but trying to incorporate a tune that's meant to alter the ecu vs. a tune that is used on a piggyback should be different
Old 12-29-2012, 09:12 PM   #20
getbent

Drives: 2013 FR-S Blue MT
Is there a listing of maps available?

getbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:17 PM   #21
ScionFrsFan

Im interested in videos on how to tune the unichip!
Old 12-29-2012, 09:40 PM   #22
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
While this looks a like a decent solution, much rather just get an ECU tune. No mess, wires and everything works as it should.
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
Boxer-86 (01-26-2013)
Old 12-30-2012, 08:18 AM   #23
bakerr6

OK everyone, so I've logged about 180 miles on it and I can tell you there's a night and day difference! I am no longer feeling the TQ dip (definately a more linear curve in all gears), along with the car feeling much more responsive. When I'm cruising at 66, my mpg is on average about 3 mpg more. When cruising at 70, it's about 2 mpg more. I also am no longer having idle issues, which is a big gain in my book, as i've had the car bog down in the past while sitting idle.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the system, and would highly reccomend it to anyone looking to increase their performance safely and easily.

I also have the flux2 system, which is really nice,a s it can read multiple items at one time (eventually I plan on running just a flux2 and a wideband with my turbo), such as EGT, Coolant temp, boost, IATs, timing advance, etc.

Another nice feature of this is the fact that it can do a 0-60 and a 0-100 (haven't confirmed the accuracy of these though, as it's been too cold to try).

Overall, definately a great tool to have for your car, whether you are going to stay NA or go FI.

At this point, I'm toying with the idea of trying to run a few bottles of nitrous, just to see how it reacts with the system.
The Following User Says Thank You to bakerr6 For This Useful Post:
PoorMansRacing (11-20-2013)
Old 12-30-2012, 08:19 AM   #24
bakerr6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
While this looks a like a decent solution, much rather just get an ECU tune. No mess, wires and everything works as it should.
Yes and no, I agree it is easier to install, but you lose out on some of the features I was looking for in a tune (remember, I was waiting on the hydra ems to get finished for this reason also).

I would say either are really a great solution, but both do have sacrifices that would be made in order to run each other. Overall, I'm extremely happy with the package I'm running at this time.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #25
industrial
Add lightness!

Drives: 17' WRX
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Big plus with unichip is at least you can sell it when your done. The way ecutek just locks onto your ecu is really stupid. Locked maps is bad enough if you have to switch tuners or your shop closes on you. To pay all that money for a one time use software license seems nuts to me but eh, to each their own.
industrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:31 AM   #26
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yes and no, I agree it is easier to install, but you lose out on some of the features I was looking for in a tune (remember, I was waiting on the hydra ems to get finished for this reason also).
what features do you miss out on with a reflash, exactly?
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:37 AM   #27
ScionFrsFan

Quote:
OK everyone, so I've logged about 180 miles on it and I can tell you there's a night and day difference! I am no longer feeling the TQ dip (definately a more linear curve in all gears), along with the car feeling much more responsive. When I'm cruising at 66, my mpg is on average about 3 mpg more. When cruising at 70, it's about 2 mpg more. I also am no longer having idle issues, which is a big gain in my book, as i've had the car bog down in the past while sitting idle.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the system, and would highly reccomend it to anyone looking to increase their performance safely and easily.

I also have the flux2 system, which is really nice,a s it can read multiple items at one time (eventually I plan on running just a flux2 and a wideband with my turbo), such as EGT, Coolant temp, boost, IATs, timing advance, etc.

Another nice feature of this is the fact that it can do a 0-60 and a 0-100 (haven't confirmed the accuracy of these though, as it's been too cold to try).

Overall, definately a great tool to have for your car, whether you are going to stay NA or go FI.

At this point, I'm toying with the idea of trying to run a few bottles of nitrous, just to see how it reacts with the system.
Is your car stock?
Old 12-30-2012, 01:11 PM   #28
bakerr6

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
what features do you miss out on with a reflash, exactly?
You cannot run progressive boost or nitrous. Also, when running meth (I do not plan on doing this), as a fail safe, you can have the tune update you as you reach a certain threshold to recalibrate to a safer tune, in order to avoid any internal damage.

The main feature I'm excited about is the fact that I can utilize the software to alter the duty cycle on the progressive boost rates, sot hat I can just mash the pedal, shift and go and not ahve to worry about spinning the tires, etc.

I plan on using a few maps, one for dd driving, one for HPDE and one for autox once I figure out which kit I want to use.

The only feature I really wish I had was launch control