follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 07-28-2019, 10:16 AM   #15
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,673 Times in 993 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will BRZ View Post
Damn that ugly? Lol i love the fact that “automatic” is an insult now. Only thing I don’t like is the front bumper. Looks kinda weird. Other than that, it looks pretty sweet to me. All subjective.
I had a whole week to ruminate on this. At first when they posted the official reveal pics, I was like ewww, then I was like hmm it’s not that bad. The photographer worked hard to find good angles. But I saw videos of it in motion and pics of it ‘in the wild’ and it’s a mess. Headlights mounted too high up, reminding me of the Nissan Juke; weird lines all over the sides with too much going on, which is not so bad but they went and plastered that intake garnish thing which just goes too high and ends up looking like those fake vents people plaster all over their cars; and that rear end is atrocious. Also if you look at it from from front three quarters, the rear section looks very odd. Like it’s too long or something. Having a wing mitigates that a bit. Again, if you look at all the professional studio pics, you can see they used angles and lighting to great effect to hide all these design flaws. But any pic of it on the street is gag inducing. It’s like if China made a mid engined corvette
rennlistuser3 (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 10:28 AM   #16
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
I had a whole week to ruminate on this. At first when they posted the official reveal pics, I was like ewww, then I was like hmm it’s not that bad. The photographer worked hard to find good angles. But I saw videos of it in motion and pics of it ‘in the wild’ and it’s a mess. Headlights mounted too high up, reminding me of the Nissan Juke; weird lines all over the sides with too much going on, which is not so bad but they went and plastered that intake garnish thing which just goes too high and ends up looking like those fake vents people plaster all over their cars; and that rear end is atrocious. Also if you look at it from from front three quarters, the rear section looks very odd. Like it’s too long or something. Having a wing mitigates that a bit. Again, if you look at all the professional studio pics, you can see they used angles and lighting to great effect to hide all these design flaws. But any pic of it on the street is gag inducing. It’s like if China made a mid engined corvette
Oh good point I’ve still not seen it in action, but I’m sure it would make a difference.
Will BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Will BRZ For This Useful Post:
StraightOuttaCanadaEh (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 11:14 AM   #17
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Bench racers unite!
Old 07-28-2019, 11:18 AM   #18
rennlistuser3

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
Where can you buy a brand new 86 or BRZ for $22K USD?
hmmmmmm.... I seem to recall it goes for around 24k USD back in 2017 and if you buy it on October just before the snow fall some dealers will knock off an extra 2k to get rid of a sports car sitting around in winter.

I just checked today and the starting price 25,795 USD. I don't know if my memory is hazy or if the price went up.
rennlistuser3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 11:22 AM   #19
rennlistuser3

Quote:
Don’t they weigh around the same though (just under 3,400 pounds I think)? I’ve read that the Supra has 50:50 weight distribution as well. I’m not really one to go strictly off of numbers, but I doubt I’m ever driving either

I love the Supra interior. It’s bit of luxury in a Toyota sports car, but I’m sure the whole BMW thing is why the price is so high. The C8 Corvette interior is really something though haha I really like it. I’ve gotten used to the BRZ interior and it’s acceptable for the price of the car lol

Why do you think the Supra is more comparable to the Mustang though? Not to beat a dead horse, but the Z4 seems like it’s closest “competitor”.
agility is not only related to weight. Weight distribution plays an important roll as well. That's why people buy 8000 USD carbonfiber wheels for unsprung weight. There's a lot of detail in car design.

Also never say never! one day you'll get um

The Supra was only made cheap thanks to BMW. Toyota officials stated somewhere that if they built the car all by themselves it would've been way more expensive.

I'd compare the Supra to the Mustang cause both are fast on paper but duller to drive in my opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to rennlistuser3 For This Useful Post:
Will BRZ (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 11:24 AM   #20
rennlistuser3

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
I'd buy a C8, but, then people would say "there is another old man driving a Corvette".

When I get out of my FR-S, people say "there is an old man driving his son's car".

I get no respect either way.

humfrz
That's why you should buy the car that'll make you smile and never bother what people will think

Except a VW Beetle, that's just pushing it too far...
humfrz (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 11:28 AM   #21
rennlistuser3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
You managed to articulate my issues with the C8 looks which I was too lazy to put in the effort to do.

Yet still I say I want to wait until I see it in the flesh and hope it looks good.

I mean, even the BRZ did not impress me that much in pictures until I saw it in the flesh and it was far more enticing a prospect. Here's hoping the same for the C8.
StraightOuttaCanadaEh (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 11:43 AM   #22
LimitedSlip
Senior Citizen Member

Drives: Then-1977 Celica GT Now-2017 860SE
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The prevailing automotive styling trend is what I refer to as "Asian Clutter". The Supra and the C8 are different interpretations with similarly messy results. Contrast this with the "Rolling Art" of an E-Type Jaguar or Ferrari. Many stunning designs from the past came from the studios of Giugiaro and Pininfarina. Not just supercars but also daily drivers. To me, the twins are aesthetically preferable to either the Supra or the C8 at half the price. Would that stop me from buying either of them? Probably not but I was hoping for some cleaner lines and less clutter . . .
LimitedSlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LimitedSlip For This Useful Post:
Hoahao (07-28-2019), StraightOuttaCanadaEh (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 02:06 PM   #23
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rennlistuser3 View Post
Looks: too subjective I personally want to wait until I see it in the flesh but from online images I think it looks ugly from the rear and side rears but I can live with it.
The first pic of the production version I saw was the leaked shot of the rear end from inside the factory, in which it looked like a Camaro. Now I can't unsee the Camaro tail lights and Honda Civic "vent" panels. The C7 is a beautiful car, but the C8 is a design mess.

Quote:
Practicality: usable small rear seats for FT86 gets it here
I've been looking at video of the C8 trying to determine whether it would fit into my life as my next car, and I don't think my suit bag would fit in either of the storage areas. It's still amazing how much I can fit in the BRZ, as small as it is.

Quote:
I like it and would take it 10 out of 10 times over a Supra. Which will sell better in 2020?
Corvette. In fact, the C8 will siphon off customers that would have bought the Supra if it had been released in a different year. It's so much more car for the money.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
rennlistuser3 (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 02:23 PM   #24
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
That's why you should buy the car that'll make you smile and never bother what people will think

Except a VW Beetle, that's just pushing it too far...
I had a 1967 VW beetle once, back in 1967, I drove in around through nine countries in Europe, it made me smile, of course, I made believe it was a Porsche -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 04:15 PM   #25
rennlistuser3

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
The first pic of the production version I saw was the leaked shot of the rear end from inside the factory, in which it looked like a Camaro. Now I can't unsee the Camaro tail lights and Honda Civic "vent" panels.
This is exactly what I saw and now cannot unsee !!
Old 07-28-2019, 04:21 PM   #26
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I saw one in the wild for the first time today, in white. Rolling down Wayne Gretzky Parkway in brantford. Didn’t see much as we were going opposite directions. I still don’t care for the front end that much.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 04:29 PM   #27
rennlistuser3

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
I had a 1967 VW beetle once, back in 1967, I drove in around through nine countries in Europe, it made me smile, of course, I made believe it was a Porsche -

humfrz
I hope my humor wasn't lost in that post no offense to anyone
humfrz (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 04:30 PM   #28
rennlistuser3

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
I saw one in the wild for the first time today, in white. Rolling down Wayne Gretzky Parkway in brantford. Didn’t see much as we were going opposite directions. I still don’t care for the front end that much.

You saw a Corvette C8? are they already out in the wild?