follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-06-2018, 01:12 AM   #15
rvoll

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited, 2017 Sportage
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy View Post
It's a 2014 Limited 6MT with 47,500 miles. I have it listed for $17,250. Cargurus says fair market value is $17k.

My car is CPO and the warranty will transfer to the new owner for a small ($75) fee, verified with SOA so I'm making sure to mention that in all listings in hopes that helps the overall value.
I've found that Cargurus almost always overvalues a car. KBB is a better choice and there your car is worth between $14-16 as someone said earlier. Given that the volume of the Twins is declining rapidly, there may not be the market for an older model. The people who would most like an older BRZ are ones who would probably like to mod the car. Those people would be younger with less money, hence the lowball offers. With that market, you'll find a lot of people with smartphones who want Android Auto/CarPlay, and you can only get that on new 18's. I picked up my new 18 Limited Auto for just over $28K with a sticker just over $31K. And that was a factory order and not one on the lot. My dealer still had 17's on the lot. As time goes on, that price range will drop so if you wait for a good offer, you might actually sell it for less. If you really want to sell it to someone who has money and has done their homework, my guess is that you'll probably get closer to $14K for your car. I know that sucks, but unless you have a collector car, that's how the market works. Generally, the rule of thumb is that a car depreciates half of its value in 4-5 years. I recently sold my wife's 13 Hyundai with only 28K miles for half of it's purchase price and had several people interested. It sold in one day. That was about $500 below the KBB average value.

Sorry for the bad news, but good luck.....
rvoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:38 AM   #16
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
What's "a real value"?

These cars are still doing better than the average depreciation curve for a used car. They have more residual equity left in them than they should. Is that "fake value"?

Show me where you're finding too many BRZs selling for "pennies on the dollar" that aren't wrecked or don't have salvage titles.
You see these cars going regularly for low teens when kbb claims them to be higher teens. I feel like that's pennies on the dollar. Salvage cars and accident cars are selling below ten now.

What the market indicates through pricing and kbb, and what forum members and buyers are saying in terms of purchase price dont seem to correlate either. Look at some of the deals people claim to be getting on even new 17s.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:11 AM   #17
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
You see these cars going regularly for low teens when kbb claims them to be higher teens. I feel like that's pennies on the dollar. Salvage cars and accident cars are selling below ten now.

What the market indicates through pricing and kbb, and what forum members and buyers are saying in terms of purchase price dont seem to correlate either. Look at some of the deals people claim to be getting on even new 17s.
Regional. Regional. Regional.
Some areas they sell for higher than others. Simple supply and demand.
Yes, all those guys that are getting the great deals on new ones are forcing the value of used ones down. That is how car values work.
Summerwolf (06-06-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 08:29 AM   #18
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Regional. Regional. Regional.
Some areas they sell for higher than others. Simple supply and demand.
Yes, all those guys that are getting the great deals on new ones are forcing the value of used ones down. That is how car values work.
Also, some regions have people seeing stuff sell and assume it sold for the max they think it's worth, with no evidence... wishful thinking, not real.

In the Chicago area I found Edmund's to be about where Carmax prices. Aggressively low. Buyers are worse.
Tcoat (06-06-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 09:41 AM   #19
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
You see these cars going regularly for low teens when kbb claims them to be higher teens. I feel like that's pennies on the dollar.
Show me.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:43 AM   #20
rcm47

Drives: 13’ FRS (traded), 18’ CWP BRZ tS
When I traded my 2013 FRS with 46k miles to Subaru they were able to give me the max KBB value of $12k and they ended up reselling it for only 2grand more than what they gave me for it.
rcm47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:56 AM   #21
PhyrraM

Drives: '17 BRZ PP, old Legacy SSs and SVXs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I think it's interesting, albeit normal, that when purchasing our minds tend to see 'fair' on the low end, but the same mind will see 'fair' on the high end when selling. People are strange creatures.

Good luck with the sale. And, I agree that time is money, so sometimes a slightly lower value NOW is better than holding out for....who knows how long.
PhyrraM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PhyrraM For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-06-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 10:57 AM   #22
extrashaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm47 View Post
When I traded my 2013 FRS with 46k miles to Subaru they were able to give me the max KBB value of $12k and they ended up reselling it for only 2grand more than what they gave me for it.
$14K sounds about right for a five year old vehicle.
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-06-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 12:31 PM   #23
rvoll

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited, 2017 Sportage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm47 View Post
What you get for trade-in's is part of the deal and not necessarily what the car is worth. The more you get the price of the new car down, the less they will give for the trade-in. Also, unless you bought it, how do you really know they got 2 grand more for it? It may have been priced that way, but people argue down the price of a used car the same way they argue down the price of a new one.

When I bought my 18 BRZ, I told them there was no trade-in. When that price was negotiated, I then asked what they would give me for the trade-in. They offered $1000 LESS than the MINIMUM KBB value. I sold it on my own for the $2,000 more -- $500 less than the AVERAGE KBB value.
rvoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:22 PM   #24
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Quote:
Show me.
Yeah... I'm not going to sit here and search threads and Facebook posts and compare them to cargurus and carfax ads plus cross compare exact mileage and conditions to kbb.

@Tcoat - the regional thing, imo doesn't mean as much as it used to. Online advertising and pricing means more options to more people. It's easier to access good deals now. I have personally flown to Texas, buy a vehicle and drive it back. I willingly drove over six hours once for my corvette. That same corvette someone flew from new jersey to buy and drive it back. I sold my camaro to someone in mexico. It's all relative but I feel "region" is a much smaller issue than it used to be.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:27 PM   #25
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yeah... I'm not going to sit here and search threads and Facebook posts and compare them to cargurus and carfax ads plus cross compare exact mileage and conditions to kbb.

@Tcoat - the regional thing, imo doesn't mean as much as it used to. Online advertising and pricing means more options to more people. It's easier to access good deals now. I have personally flown to Texas, buy a vehicle and drive it back. I willingly drove over six hours once for my corvette. That same corvette someone flew from new jersey to buy and drive it back. I sold my camaro to someone in mexico. It's all relative but I feel "region" is a much smaller issue than it used to be.
That is certainly a thing but most buyers are not looking to travel for many reasons. Regional demand still dictates regional prices. The reason you went so far was because the price and availability was in that region. The fact people travel only supports my statement not counters it.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:33 PM   #26
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
That is certainly a thing but most buyers are not looking to travel for many reasons. Regional demand still dictates regional prices. The reason you went so far was because the price and availability was in that region. The fact people travel only supports my statement not counters it.
I guess its more specific to niche cars as to what im saying, but people will travel for deals on a major purchase. If the deals aren't available regionally, eventually that region will start showing similar pricing as the others. That's another way car sales works.
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-06-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 08:32 PM   #27
extrashaky

Quote:
There's nothing to compare, because those cars don't exist. I took a few minutes to search CL and Autotempest (which also searches Cars.com and Ebay) within 300 miles of Elkhart to make sure I included your local area. I found a grand total of ONE BRZ with a clean title below $13.5K. There were two more below $10K in Chicago, but one was wrecked and the other had a rebuilt title. There were a couple at $13.5K, but the overwhelming majority of the BRZ listings were higher.

So all those BRZs you claim are being sold for low teens don't seem to exist, and the value of this car hasn't tanked. It's still tracking right along a bit higher than what should be expected for a used car.
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-06-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 09:14 PM   #28
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Quote:
There's nothing to compare, because those cars don't exist. I took a few minutes to search CL and Autotempest (which also searches Cars.com and Ebay) within 300 miles of Elkhart to make sure I included your local area. I found a grand total of ONE BRZ with a clean title below $13.5K. There were two more below $10K in Chicago, but one was wrecked and the other had a rebuilt title. There were a couple at $13.5K, but the overwhelming majority of the BRZ listings were higher.

So all those BRZs you claim are being sold for low teens don't seem to exist, and the value of this car hasn't tanked. It's still tracking right along a bit higher than what should be expected for a used car.
....yeaahhh. Not sure where 13.5k dropped in, but I find them selling and being advertised for 15k pretty regularly.

For example, I actually did kbb value mine. Says it should be 17.5 private party, 18.1 dealer. Closest example miles and condition wise is 80 miles away asking 15.5 from a dealer. This is what I was getting at.

If forum members have not seen similar, why is this a debate. It's a niche car, it should depreciate somewhat less than your normal commuter.
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
Tristor (06-06-2018)