follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 01-22-2013, 12:40 AM   #1
HillCountryGuru

Drives: Ultramarine Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Help me make a decision. Please!

I am looking for the best system you can get that fits beautifully. No sub bigger than 10 inches and prefer a head that has Nav and gets along with my RAZR HD.. Money is no barrier.
HillCountryGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:53 AM   #2
cruzinbill

Drives: Argento 6spd FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryGuru View Post
I am looking for the best system you can get that fits beautifully. No sub bigger than 10 inches and prefer a head that has Nav and gets along with my RAZR HD.. Money is no barrier.
Sooo... whats your budget?
cruzinbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:03 AM   #3
JoeBoxer

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 1,627 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzinbill View Post
Sooo... whats your budget?
Different guy

What kind of sound are you looking for? Sound is like suspension there is no best it's what's best for you! Budget, music taste, willing to permanently mod the car, how much space can you give up? Lots of variables.
JoeBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:15 AM   #4
cruzinbill

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoxer View Post
Different guy

What kind of sound are you looking for? Sound is like suspension there is no best it's what's best for you! Budget, music taste, willing to permanently mod the car, how much space can you give up? Lots of variables.
I figured it was, but the whole money is no barrier is bologna. Everyone has both a limit and a vision of what they would like then meet it somewhere in the middle.

I mean there are a couple badass things he could do if he truly has a decent budget and not window shopping.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:56 AM   #5
JoeBoxer

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 1,627 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
I just wish there were more 3 way component sets with 3-3.5" midranges, the ones I like are near $1k which is just too much.
JoeBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:04 AM   #6
jbsali

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ (Limited)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
i would recommend the kicker L3 slim in a Kicker slim box. The subwoofer is designed for small cab trucks to fit behind a driver or passenger seat so it angles in the front. The box itself will be too tall for the trunk but if you lay it down and turn the subwoofer around, it will angle towards the back of the trunk. I've had one in my 2011 civic si for about 2 years and it is an amazing sub. Look into just a basic 500watt kicker dx series amp to pair it with. You could get away with 8g wiring too. I would recommend stinger pro series! For navigation i would strongly recommend kenwood because i find that their garmin nav systems are really good and you can get crack copies of the updating software. However, i prefer pioneer decks for almost everything else because they are a lot more responsive. I find that kenwood decks tend to lag quite a bit.

I've worked in car audio for 6 years and been through numerous systems. If you want a system that will give you good quality sound and save on space, this is the way to do it!
jbsali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:26 AM   #7
cruzinbill

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsali View Post
i would recommend the kicker L3 slim in a Kicker slim box. The subwoofer is designed for small cab trucks to fit behind a driver or passenger seat so it angles in the front. The box itself will be too tall for the trunk but if you lay it down and turn the subwoofer around, it will angle towards the back of the trunk. I've had one in my 2011 civic si for about 2 years and it is an amazing sub. Look into just a basic 500watt kicker dx series amp to pair it with. You could get away with 8g wiring too. I would recommend stinger pro series! For navigation i would strongly recommend kenwood because i find that their garmin nav systems are really good and you can get crack copies of the updating software. However, i prefer pioneer decks for almost everything else because they are a lot more responsive. I find that kenwood decks tend to lag quite a bit.

I've worked in car audio for 6 years and been through numerous systems. If you want a system that will give you good quality sound and save on space, this is the way to do it!
This is the worst advice I've ever seen. Why would you tell him to jam something in the trunk that doesn't even properly fit, then say get this nav because you can illegally get the map updates?

If you just want some cheap slam in the trunk sure. But when someone says they want to have a good sounding system, why would you recommend some BS slim Kicker and then not even mention the rest of the system.

Anyway, like joeboxer and myself was saying, your goals/music interests and some kinda budget is needed.
The Following User Says Thank You to cruzinbill For This Useful Post:
JoeBoxer (01-22-2013)
Old 01-28-2013, 04:04 AM   #8
jbsali

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ (Limited)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzinbill View Post
This is the worst advice I've ever seen. Why would you tell him to jam something in the trunk that doesn't even properly fit, then say get this nav because you can illegally get the map updates?

If you just want some cheap slam in the trunk sure. But when someone says they want to have a good sounding system, why would you recommend some BS slim Kicker and then not even mention the rest of the system.

Anyway, like joeboxer and myself was saying, your goals/music interests and some kinda budget is needed.

dude, calm down! atleast i recommended something. The set-up would be a good S.I.B system. Its going to be hard to find a sub that fits this cars trunk properly. Unless you want to go and have a custom box made, by all means go ahead. The subwoofer is 800 watts max and the amplifier should put out around 500watts rms, running an 8g system for a set-up like this would be more than fine. The box looks pretty nice layed down! In regards to maps updates, feel free to shell out 130 for a navigation disc. what you want to do is what you want to do. what else were you expecting for the set-up? zip ties, loom, ground connectors, inline fuse and a flux capacitor?

btw, if you had just searched "kicker l3 slim box" its the first search option. no need to get your jimmies rustled.

If price is NOT an option: jbl power series, kicker l7 series, alpine type x series, custom made stealth box and 7" fully loaded pioneer deck. DONE.
jbsali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:00 AM   #9
cruzinbill

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsali View Post
dude, calm down! atleast i recommended something. The set-up would be a good S.I.B system. Its going to be hard to find a sub that fits this cars trunk properly. Unless you want to go and have a custom box made, by all means go ahead. The subwoofer is 800 watts max and the amplifier should put out around 500watts rms, running an 8g system for a set-up like this would be more than fine. The box looks pretty nice layed down! In regards to maps updates, feel free to shell out 130 for a navigation disc. what you want to do is what you want to do. what else were you expecting for the set-up? zip ties, loom, ground connectors, inline fuse and a flux capacitor?

btw, if you had just searched "kicker l3 slim box" its the first search option. no need to get your jimmies rustled.

If price is NOT an option: jbl power series, kicker l7 series, alpine type x series, custom made stealth box and 7" fully loaded pioneer deck. DONE.
Nope, just sounds like you're offering up a shit system to the guy that asks for something that fit beautifully with price not being a barrier. I would be interested at this point to see this "sweet install" of yours.

Just from how you talk about audio gear it screams flea market and 20 mins hooking it up with some stuff I found in the junkyard.

Oh, and what about the rest of the system? Do you really think all you need is a big sub to make a good sound system?
Old 01-28-2013, 08:58 AM   #10
mbh1101

Drives: Raven 6mt FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Anyone know of any vendors on here building custom boxes or anything for pretty good prices? My local shop is way to high!!
mbh1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #11
13 FR-S Veteran

Drives: 2013 FR-S (Raven Black)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I still stand by the OEM Audio Plus System 400. Performs beautifully in my FR-s and comes with that custom sub enclosure. Sound quality is top notch IMO. I'm an old school rocker guy and i can honestly say that nothing rattles when i crank it up. Unfortunately i can't recommned a unit that offers NAV. I use my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and the google nav app. Great screen size at 5.5 inches and i never worry about map updates.
13 FR-S Veteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:07 AM   #12
cruzinbill

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh1101 View Post
Anyone know of any vendors on here building custom boxes or anything for pretty good prices? My local shop is way to high!!
There was a guy making fiberglass corner enclosures not sure if they ever ended up being sold yet tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 FR-S Veteran View Post
I still stand by the OEM Audio Plus System 400. Performs beautifully in my FR-s and comes with that custom sub enclosure. Sound quality is top notch IMO. I'm an old school rocker guy and i can honestly say that nothing rattles when i crank it up. Unfortunately i can't recommned a unit that offers NAV. I use my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and the google nav app. Great screen size at 5.5 inches and i never worry about map updates.
For the price ya, ill have to agree its quick and easy to get somthing decent sounding fast without waiting a week or spending a ton.