follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 03-02-2017, 11:40 AM   #15
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post
That is correct. Once you pay for a license it is on your ecu. So unless you have an issue where you need to get a new ecu you are good to go. That said I am unsure if there is a relationship between the dongles are the license where you have to have the dongle that came with the license or not. Perhaps someone else has the answer to that.
I'm pretty sure they arent tied together as i never bought a cable. I just used someone else's for my tune.

Only reason i'm asking is i'm switching to a different kit in the summer and i was wanting to do a local custom tune but didnt want to pay for the license again.
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:08 PM   #16
TofuJoe
Ohne Titel

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP ISM
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
The license is on a per car basis. You pay the $300 once for your specific car.

My tuner provided the cable and dongle. Thanks @Neal. I paid $300 for the license, and another $285 for the flash and go tune (Delicious Flash and Go tune sale price).
TofuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:45 PM   #17
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TofuJoe View Post
The license is on a per car basis. You pay the $300 once for your specific car.

My tuner provided the cable and dongle. Thanks @Neal. I paid $300 for the license, and another $285 for the flash and go tune (Delicious Flash and Go tune sale price).
Wait you're boosted? What are you running?
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:01 PM   #18
TofuJoe
Ohne Titel

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP ISM
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Nope. NA, but tuned for a catted header, catback, intake.
TofuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:19 PM   #19
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post
That said I am unsure if there is a relationship between the dongles are the license
The simple way of looking at it is:
"License": Flashed to the ECU as part of the 1st tune flash, this then allows the ECU to be flashed by ECUtek software.
Dongle: This is the PC/laptop software ID to allow you to run ProECU.
Cable: Dumb equipment but required to flash with ECUtek.

There is no correlation between the 3. Tuners usually code (lock) tuned ROMs to dongle IDs so you need that to be able to flash and datalog. If a ROM is unlocked then any dongle or cable can flash to any licensed ECU.

The license will be remotely added to the dongle ID that you plan to do the 1st flash with, this is obtained by doing an ProECU update. This is the only tie in between a license and dongle, so it's only relevant on the first flash of that ECU.

For example a tuner may buy 10 licenses for their dongle ID. These get used up on every 1st flash of an ECU but you can flash any licensed ECU in between and they are not used up, it also doesn't matter if they were the original flashing device.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kodename47 For This Useful Post:
jasonojordan (03-02-2017), TofuJoe (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 09:23 PM   #20
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Ok

You need an Ecutek Cable\dongle kit to flash an Ecutek tune
You also nedd on ecuteck licience for each ecu you want to flash, this is a one off cost and licience stayes with ecu, and you can flash as many times as you like to the ecu once it has licience installed.

You can use same ecutek cable kit to flash multiple cars as long as eac ecu in car has licience.

The dongle allows you to run the ecutek software on the computer, it can be instalked on multiple computeres but it will only run if the dongle is plugged in.

Ecutek tunes you buy from tuner will be licienced to your dongle id , so they can only be flashed by your dongle, you cannot use the tune with a different dongle id, unless its re licienced to that dongle or an open tune .

you cannot read out ecutek tunes with an ecutek cable kit with standard software. It will only read out roms in special fornat that you send to ecutek like for a new rom calibration id.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 01:24 PM   #21
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Ok

You need an Ecutek Cable\dongle kit to flash an Ecutek tune
You also nedd on ecuteck licience for each ecu you want to flash, this is a one off cost and licience stayes with ecu, and you can flash as many times as you like to the ecu once it has licience installed.

You can use same ecutek cable kit to flash multiple cars as long as eac ecu in car has licience.

The dongle allows you to run the ecutek software on the computer, it can be instalked on multiple computeres but it will only run if the dongle is plugged in.

Ecutek tunes you buy from tuner will be licienced to your dongle id , so they can only be flashed by your dongle, you cannot use the tune with a different dongle id, unless its re licienced to that dongle or an open tune .

you cannot read out ecutek tunes with an ecutek cable kit with standard software. It will only read out roms in special fornat that you send to ecutek like for a new rom calibration id.
Soooo..... essentially what I said then

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:57 PM   #22
GsxrMe

Drives: Late 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Also noted if you only care about logs and not making chnages yourself, you can always get the new ECUTEK Bluetooth dongle.
FBM Turbokit: GTX3076R - ECUTEK HRI FlexFuel tune - FBM 3" Turboback Exhaust - 550cc Injectors - Walbro 485 Fuel Pump - 4bar Map Sensor - FBM Oil Pan - ACT SB7-XTSS - AMSOIL all fluids - Forester XT Oil Cooler - Cusco engine, trans mounts - Whiteline rear differential bushings - Perrin shifter bushing - Firehawk 235/45/17 - AEM Failsafe
GsxrMe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, ecutek, license