follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 11-29-2016, 09:35 AM   #519
Andew727

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
The a/c compressor needs to be checked. It might be binding when the clutch kicks in causing the belt to slip.
that sounds like its it actually. a buddy of mine just got a spare parts motor so we can swap parts and pin point the all the problems ive run in to for the build. car sat for months while parts and fab work was done slowly. so lots of little things have come up that suck
Andew727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:25 PM   #520
WRX4ME

Drives: 2016 BRZ HyperBlue, 2015 WRX Red
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderzz View Post
Sweet, did you do any supporting mods when you installed?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Nothing but a Cosworth drop-in air filter and a Greddy SP catback exhaust. Had the car tuned/virtual-dyno'd by Boosted Performance Tuning.. Runs great. Im not making any attempts at pushing the kit beyond its limits. Im completely happy with its out of the box performance. Plus, replacement HKS parts are not the easiest to come by quickly, so Im in no mood to break it.
WRX4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:30 PM   #521
WRX4ME

Drives: 2016 BRZ HyperBlue, 2015 WRX Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andew727 View Post
Is anyone throwing belts? or getting bad belt slip?
I had a squeaky/chirpy idler pulley after installing the HKS kit.. So, worked up the nerve to undo my handiwork and replace the pulley. No more squeak and it never came back.
WRX4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:58 PM   #522
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX4ME View Post
I had a squeaky/chirpy idler pulley after installing the HKS kit.. So, worked up the nerve to undo my handiwork and replace the pulley. No more squeak and it never came back.
I get a squeaky sound until the car warms up. It's tough to pinpoint the source of the sound except that it's rev dependent and it stops after a few (5) minutes typically. I have assumed the sound is coming from inside the annulus of the supercharger. If you don't know what the annulus is, it's the friction surface that rolls against the rollers to create the ~9.4:1 step up to the compressor shaft.

My initial thought was that when re-installing my V1 system I might have improperly assembled a pulley. They are tough to work with, even with my smallish hands and I do remember dropping parts and having to retrieve them from the under pan when putting the kits extra pulleys back in place. I think there are 4 added pulleys to the stock engine from the kit. If it was a pulley with a wrongly stacked washer/spacer/bearings something would probably have gone wrong after 8 months daily use.

So, since I use the summer (thicker) traction fluid I figured quiet operation for my unit was dependent on the traction fluid reaching operating temp.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.

Last edited by wbradley; 11-29-2016 at 08:18 PM.
wbradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:40 PM   #523
lostpanda

Drives: FT86
I already install the HKS V3 kit and use the 90mm pulley but the pressure almost 1BAR in 7300RPM.
I think this boost is too big it may cause the damage of my engine.
Do we have some solution for this ?
change the big pulley?
lostpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:19 PM   #524
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostpanda View Post
I already install the HKS V3 kit and use the 90mm pulley but the pressure almost 1BAR in 7300RPM.
I think this boost is too big it may cause the damage of my engine.
Do we have some solution for this ?
change the big pulley?
1 bar is 14.5 PSI. So are you reading +1 bar boost? Thats probably good for 300+ WHP with good fuel and tune.
Do you have upgraded fuelling? If not I'd use the 100 mm pulley not to exceed ~9-10 PSI (0.6Bar).

If you do have upgraded injectors and fuel pump just be aware on stock internals you are well beyond the safe limit. Also clutch, axle and drive shaft are at risk.

For comparison, my unit is set to peak at 0.6 Bar (9.5 PSI) at fuel cutoff set to 7100 RPM, this is where stock fueling maxed out.. Getting 276 WHP at peak.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.

Last edited by wbradley; 12-01-2016 at 09:20 AM.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:30 PM   #525
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
I happen to own a completely dismantled GTS 7040L HKS blower that was taken apart by a mechanic last year only to determine it wasn't practical to repair. It was run dry of traction fluid. Since probably very few if any people have taken one apart on this forum I am wondering if there is interest to see what it looks like inside. I have 2 pics in my phone. One was from the mechanic who actually thought I was going to pay what he wanted to rebuild with no guaranteed results. Good thing I said no, he'd never get the psrts. And the dumbass charged me $300 to return the dismantled parts. Too bad I NEEDED the stock pulley. The second pic is his ebay ad to sell the parts when I flipped at his estimate and didnt want to pay for him to send me a bunch of loose parts.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
Efferalgan (01-17-2017)
Old 12-01-2016, 02:53 PM   #526
HuntingtonFRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S in White
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I don't remember if I shared this before but change your plugs, people. This is OEM and they all looked this way. Supercharged at 26k and changed at 32k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HuntingtonFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HuntingtonFRS For This Useful Post:
wbradley (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 04:54 PM   #527
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
HuntingtonFRS Pardon my ignorance, but what are we looking at here? Obviously the plug looks kinda burned looking. What is happening, what might be the symptoms and is there a good preventative measure?

Thx

Anyone with knowledge please..?
Old 12-01-2016, 04:56 PM   #528
HuntingtonFRS

Quote:
HuntingtonFRS Pardon my ignorance, but what are we looking at here? Obviously the plug looks kinda burned looking. What is happening, what might be the symptoms and is there a good preventative measure?

Thx

Anyone with knowledge please..?

Whatever is actually happening to that plug on boost was on all 4. The firing pressure is backing out of the plug I guess? I don't know the technicals but it's enough to show they need to be upgraded with boost.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:13 PM   #529
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingtonFRS View Post
Whatever is actually happening to that plug on boost was on all 4. The firing pressure is backing out of the plug I guess? I don't know the technicals but it's enough to show they need to be upgraded with boost.

Are you on a stock pulley? With or without intake restrictor?

Were you having issues or what motivated you to remove plugs?

It *looks* like the high compression plus boost pushes the limits for the ceramic insulator seal. If the tip was OK that's good and really how much compression could have been escaping through the plug.

And, please let us know the suggested replacement. I have all winter to remove my plugs.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:04 PM   #530
HuntingtonFRS

Quote:
Are you on a stock pulley? With or without intake restrictor?

Were you having issues or what motivated you to remove plugs?

It *looks* like the high compression plus boost pushes the limits for the ceramic insulator seal. If the tip was OK that's good and really how much compression could have been escaping through the plug.

And, please let us know the suggested replacement. I have all winter to remove my plugs.

Stock pulley and it's the V3 so, from my understanding, there's no restrictor plate. No modifications to the V3 or engine aside from exhaust.

I wasn't having any issues I just was reading the recommended parts when installing this and figured I might as well do it. I'm glad I did. The throttle seems to respond better.

The tip was pretty dark but not too bad.

The Following User Says Thank You to HuntingtonFRS For This Useful Post:
wbradley (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 08:18 PM   #531
lostpanda

Quote:
1 bar is 14.5 PSI. So are you reading +1 bar boost? Thats probably good for 300+ WHP with good fuel and tune.
Do you have upgraded fuelling? If not I'd use the 100 mm pulley not to exceed ~9-10 PSI (0.6Bar).

If you do have upgraded injectors and fuel pump just be aware on stock internals you are well beyond the safe limit. Also clutch, axle and drive shaft are at risk.

For comparison, my unit is set to peak at 0.6 Bar (9.5 PSI) at fuel cutoff set to 7100 RPM, this is where stock fueling maxed out.. Getting 276 WHP at peak.
Finally I change the pulley to 110mm back, the max whp almost 261.
90MM with the big injecters is the good way.
But the pressure will be 1.1 bar on this V3 7400RPM so I must change so many staff for my engine if not, I think it will very dangerous.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:21 PM   #532
lostpanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingtonFRS View Post

I don't remember if I shared this before but change your plugs, people. This is OEM and they all looked this way. Supercharged at 26k and changed at 32k.

I change my plugs to HKS 10 degree.
If you do not change is ok for low RPM.
For the high RPM it will get the shake in your tune map.