follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 05-12-2015, 01:03 PM   #6329
cshearer

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ - Sprintex SC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I have the Sprintex intercooled system (Delicious 8.83 tune on 94 octanefuel with 69mm pulley, full header back exhaust) and I am also having issueswith low RPM WOT hesitation. If I go WOT in 1st, 2nd or 3rd gears below3,000 RPM the car bogs/hesitates, sometimes a coupleof times then takes off. If I only go WOT north of 3,000 RPM it seems ok. Alsoit is worst when cold. I took off the SC elbow recently and replaced theplastic fittings with brass and used a good thread sealant. It felt slightlybetter but still hesitates/surges going to WOT @ low RPM. I also had the enginesmoke tested with no leaks detected. I am not sure what to do next and anyadvice would be helpful. From what I am reading some have this problem andother don't. Not sure if it could be fuel related. Are there any Ecutek toolsto help diagnose these issues? Has anyone else solved this problem and if so, how? Isthis just the way it drives (do I have to always be at 3,000 RPM + before goingWOT?
cshearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 01:17 PM   #6330
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cshearer View Post
I have the Sprintex intercooled system (Delicious 8.83 tune on 94 octanefuel with 69mm pulley, full header back exhaust) and I am also having issueswith low RPM WOT hesitation. If I go WOT in 1st, 2nd or 3rd gears below3,000 RPM the car bogs/hesitates, sometimes a coupleof times then takes off. If I only go WOT north of 3,000 RPM it seems ok. Alsoit is worst when cold. I took off the SC elbow recently and replaced theplastic fittings with brass and used a good thread sealant. It felt slightlybetter but still hesitates/surges going to WOT @ low RPM. I also had the enginesmoke tested with no leaks detected. I am not sure what to do next and anyadvice would be helpful. From what I am reading some have this problem andother don't. Not sure if it could be fuel related. Are there any Ecutek toolsto help diagnose these issues? Has anyone else solved this problem and if so, how? Isthis just the way it drives (do I have to always be at 3,000 RPM + before goingWOT?
Speak to your tuner.
As for tune related tools, yeah that's what logging is for.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:00 PM   #6331
CK_Bladesmith

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

I had this exact same problem until I switched to moto-mikes tune. With delicious tune 8.83 while cold, the car is basically undrivable unless you just WOT everywhere. Once warmed up it still has a huge dead spot in the pedal, and by dead spot I mean: you push the gas to accelerate at a moderate pace and it just doesn't go until you mash the gas. With moto-mikes tune, when I press the gas the car just goes. Is there still some hesitating with mikes tune? Yes, but at least it doesn't feel like the engine is trying to escape, and it goes away very quickly.

I was very hesitant to spend more money on another tune but in the end I'm glad I did. The car runs much better and instead of 19.4 average MPG I get around 22 in town.

I'm in no way trying to bash vendors, but with each new delicious revision, it just gets worse for me. BTW I also have no vacuum leaks of any kind. If you want your innovate kit to run like a stock car I'd suggest @moto-mike. He's definitely ahead of the game.

Cheers.
Raven FR-S mods: Unichip, Ground Control street coilovers with camber plates and strut tower brace, SPC Lca's, Drag DR-38 wheels with Dunlop Direzza DZ101s, Perrin CAI and silicone inlet tube, Perrin 3" resonated catback, Perrin high flow catted front pipe, Rev Works UEL header.
CK_Bladesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CK_Bladesmith For This Useful Post:
Toyota86.ir (02-28-2016)
Old 05-12-2015, 02:08 PM   #6332
SpeedWi

Drives: 2014 BRZ (SOLD)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I concur with @CK_Bladesmith . I have replaced the plastic nipple with brass and moto-east's latest tune seems to be working well. Haven't had the issue yet. (Haven't driven much either though). @moto-mike I will send the logs next time I take the car out. Sorry for the delay
Old 05-12-2015, 05:23 PM   #6333
R3NIK

Drives: 2013 FR-S/C
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Is everything with the 3k hesitation issue (I now have it) running E85? Also, have you found that a quick rev to 5k clears it up?
Old 05-12-2015, 05:27 PM   #6334
SpeedWi

Drives: 2014 BRZ (SOLD)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I'm running 93oct
Old 05-12-2015, 05:27 PM   #6335
CK_Bladesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3NIK View Post
Is everything with the 3k hesitation issue (I now have it) running E85? Also, have you found that a quick rev to 5k clears it up?

93 octane here. Only thing that clears it up on bills tune is getting the oil temp above 150ish. After that the first 30% of pedal travel is still sluggish.
Raven FR-S mods: Unichip, Ground Control street coilovers with camber plates and strut tower brace, SPC Lca's, Drag DR-38 wheels with Dunlop Direzza DZ101s, Perrin CAI and silicone inlet tube, Perrin 3" resonated catback, Perrin high flow catted front pipe, Rev Works UEL header.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:09 PM   #6336
cshearer

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ - Sprintex SC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So by using the Moto Mike tune there is minimal bucking/hesitation when going wot at under 3k rpm? Currently I have significant bucking/surging in 1st to 3rd gears unless I go wot constantly which I don't want to do. Not sure what is meant by dead pedal feel. Also wondering if a cold air intake wll help the situation. Is there basically a min rpm where we can go wot and an rpm level where there will be surging?
cshearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:16 PM   #6337
R3NIK

Garage
My issue, on the Moto-East tune, only happens at 2.7-3.0K RPMs. Partial to full throttle, like there's a fuel delivery issue. There's a sputter for a second or two, but a quick press of the pedal to 5k with the clutch in makes it go away. Happens very infrequently. I'm going back to 91 octane today and was hoping it was some bad corn, but with others having similar problems, the next fix will be to change out the rear fittings with brass. @moto-mike do you have some input on this?
Old 05-12-2015, 06:23 PM   #6338
CK_Bladesmith

Quote:
So by using the Moto Mike tune there is minimal bucking/hesitation when going wot at under 3k rpm? Currently I have significant bucking/surging in 1st to 3rd gears unless I go wot constantly which I don't want to do. Not sure what is meant by dead pedal feel. Also wondering if a cold air intake wll help the situation. Is there basically a min rpm where we can go wot and an rpm level where there will be surging?

As a personal rule of thumb, I NEVER go WOT under 3k rpms. The rods in these cars are a weak point, and even though these superchargers don't put out a ton of power, they still add stress to a stock component. Bills tune under 3k rpms, when the car is cold, bucks like crazy. Mikes tune, under 3k rpms only slightly does under the same amount of throttle application. By dead pedal feel I mean that when you push on the gas the car doesn't go. The throttle on mikes tune is very linear and the amount that you put your foot down, is the amount it goes. Bills tune is more like an on and off switch, which for my personal preference, it's undesirable.
brianhj (05-12-2015)
Old 05-12-2015, 06:27 PM   #6339
CK_Bladesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3NIK View Post
My issue, on the Moto-East tune, only happens at 2.7-3.0K RPMs. Partial to full throttle, like there's a fuel delivery issue. There's a sputter for a second or two, but a quick press of the pedal to 5k with the clutch in makes it go away. Happens very infrequently. I'm going back to 91 octane today and was hoping it was some bad corn, but with others having similar problems, the next fix will be to change out the rear fittings with brass. @moto-mike do you have some input on this?

Mike and I have talked about this and it seems to be somehow related to the direct injectors. Maybe he can chime in. All I know it's that his tune only barely does it for me. Once the oil temp rises above 100f, it's basically good to go.
R3NIK (05-12-2015)
Old 05-12-2015, 06:28 PM   #6340
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Drives: Edelbrock Equipped - Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,682 Times in 581 Posts
Mentioned: 403 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Well there seems to be something going on if there is hesitation down low. I drive the 8.83 tune on my car every day, with 91 octane or E85 and never experience this issue. We also have quite a few people locally who do not have issue including our local SCCA National Autocross Competitor, who drives his car daily on 91 and E85 with our 69mm pulley. His vehicle is an automatic and drives well below 3000 RPM's a lot of the time.

Now I do have a completely stock exhaust system and stock intake or AirAid intake in the car when testing. So there maybe something related to changing parts with our tune that is not ideal. We have seen some exhaust systems cause more back pressure then stock in certain scenarios and this can cause hesitations in the power band, especially down low. Might be something to look at.

On the version 8.83 tune we have had a lot of people respond stating it was a great improvement over the 8.65 tune, especially down low. Maybe some of the Sprintex kits are built a little differently from others, causing the tunes to not work perfectly on these kits? Maybe different parts on the cars are causing the differences?

Cheers,
William Knose
Delicious Tuning
DeliciousTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeliciousTuning For This Useful Post:
CK_Bladesmith (05-12-2015)
Old 05-12-2015, 06:31 PM   #6341
R3NIK

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK_Bladesmith View Post
Mike and I have talked about this and it seems to be somehow related to the direct injectors. Maybe he can chime in. All I know it's that his tune only barely does it for me. Once the oil temp rises above 100f, it's basically good to go.
I thought I recalled that too, which port injection taking over at 3K RPMs. But I don't know much about how the direct/port injection system works, or how Mike tunes for it.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:33 PM   #6342
brianhj

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
8.83 fixed the issue where the engine would bog down (rpms drop dramatically) when taking off normally (daily driving). The rpms would dip real low when releasing the clutch pedal and giving it gas (normal take off from stop).

The issue with the bucking remains for me. It does it between 2k and 3k like others have said. I'm using stock everything. Flex fuel kit from DT but using 93 oct right now. Stage 2 sprintex with pulley that came with intercooler upgrade (75 I think)
brianhj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brianhj For This Useful Post:
DeliciousTuning (05-12-2015), R3NIK (05-12-2015)

Tags
2 whp better than n/a e85, 2 whp? you're an idiot., 2screwsbetterthan0screw, 65 whp better than na e85, bspt fittings ftl, hate u all me no have sc, im just here for the tags, inorite!, it's no turbo but, only big numbers matter, screwyou, whine sexier than turbo, whines_more_than_your_gf, wts grey market butthurt.