follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List
Oxyg3n

Old 08-26-2018, 08:28 PM   #113
nitro_alltrac

Drives: '17 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So far, mine has only thrown the codes twice. I'm waiting to see if it does it again. I don't have a high level of confidence in the dealers around here. I'm hoping I get lucky. But I'm also waiting to see if there is an actual fix. So far it kind if looks like they are still shooting in the dark.

Last edited by nitro_alltrac; 03-23-2019 at 06:40 AM.
nitro_alltrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:11 AM   #114
funpolice

Drives: 2017 brz sportech
Yah agreed dont think they have an actual solution

But the dealerships are not doing this on their own. They contact Subaru corporate foe approval before they do this sort work cuz the corporate pays the replacement
funpolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:16 AM   #115
nitro_alltrac

I'm concerned on the Toyota side. The dealers, especially in my area, don't see that many of these cars and the experience level isn't high. I'm hoping to see something definitive from Subaru.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:19 PM   #116
funpolice

Drives: 2017 brz sportech
dropped the car at the dealership today. they are talking to the subaru tech line as i speak.
they are looking into the direct injectors...

who knows what that leads to for a new car like this only got 9000kms...
funpolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:22 PM   #117
nitro_alltrac

Waiting to see what they come back with.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:48 PM   #118
Seanzky

Drives: Slow
This whole thread has been heartbreaking to read. I got the CEL today and with the same codes. The recurring pattern I'm seeing here is that it's happening to us all "leaving work", which means the car has sat for a while, engine cold. Is that right? Does this have anything to do with engine/oil temps or idling in relation to temps that are causing sensors or seals or whatever to go bad??? I'm throwing something random here, trying to find a pattern. I'm very worried the Toyota dealership I bought my car from, with their service center in a building right behind the dealership, won't know what to do. I don't want my car experimented on, taking it apart, swapping out parts, etc. I have less than 1,700 miles on mine and never have I ever in my two-plus decades or so of driving seen a brand new car do this. I hope they get to the bottom of it or have some kind of inkling what the problem is by now, but seeing the dates on these posts, I'm doubtful.

I usually sit through the cold engine light (blue light) until it goes away before driving. Due to the long weekend, my work let us out a couple of hours early and in my excitement, I raced to the parking lot exit without waiting for the blue light to go away. I didn't drive like a maniac, mind you. But I exited the parking lot, I did rev higher than I normally do before shifting to second. Shortly after doing so, after shifting to third, the CEL turned on. Sigh.
Seanzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 09:24 PM   #119
86prime

Drives: 18 BRZ tS
Maybe we'll get a settlement out of Subaru like with the STI.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
86prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:08 AM   #120
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanzky View Post
This whole thread has been heartbreaking to read. I got the CEL today and with the same codes. The recurring pattern I'm seeing here is that it's happening to us all "leaving work", which means the car has sat for a while, engine cold. Is that right? Does this have anything to do with engine/oil temps or idling in relation to temps that are causing sensors or seals or whatever to go bad??? I'm throwing something random here, trying to find a pattern. I'm very worried the Toyota dealership I bought my car from, with their service center in a building right behind the dealership, won't know what to do. I don't want my car experimented on, taking it apart, swapping out parts, etc. I have less than 1,700 miles on mine and never have I ever in my two-plus decades or so of driving seen a brand new car do this. I hope they get to the bottom of it or have some kind of inkling what the problem is by now, but seeing the dates on these posts, I'm doubtful.

I usually sit through the cold engine light (blue light) until it goes away before driving. Due to the long weekend, my work let us out a couple of hours early and in my excitement, I raced to the parking lot exit without waiting for the blue light to go away. I didn't drive like a maniac, mind you. But I exited the parking lot, I did rev higher than I normally do before shifting to second. Shortly after doing so, after shifting to third, the CEL turned on. Sigh.
Sounds like your car is like mine where it codes when lukewarm.

Interesting to know you've got a blue cold light. Is that the limited edition dash with the LCD display? Base model like mine only has an analog temp gauge.

I usually sit through the low vacuum stage and wait for the idle to drop before setting of, and many times it lit up the cel at the same light after work, like within a 1 mile radius after a cold soak.

As I've said before, since your's is getting serviced by Toyota and not Subaru, i'd be grateful if you could corroborate what I've been told, which is, to paraphrase: " Toyota are telling us to wait for the tsb before doing anything".

At this point I'm more interested in verifying that piece of info than I am about getting the car fixed. Because if the solution exists but it's just stuck in bureaucracy, that's not too bad, but if I'm dealing with idiots that just won't cooperate, that's another thing entirely.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 02:23 PM   #121
nitro_alltrac

That's my fear on the Toyota side.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:41 PM   #122
Seanzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZNT4R View Post
Sounds like your car is like mine where it codes when lukewarm.

Interesting to know you've got a blue cold light. Is that the limited edition dash with the LCD display? Base model like mine only has an analog temp gauge.

I usually sit through the low vacuum stage and wait for the idle to drop before setting of, and many times it lit up the cel at the same light after work, like within a 1 mile radius after a cold soak.

As I've said before, since your's is getting serviced by Toyota and not Subaru, i'd be grateful if you could corroborate what I've been told, which is, to paraphrase: " Toyota are telling us to wait for the tsb before doing anything".

At this point I'm more interested in verifying that piece of info than I am about getting the car fixed. Because if the solution exists but it's just stuck in bureaucracy, that's not too bad, but if I'm dealing with idiots that just won't cooperate, that's another thing entirely.
I, too, sit through the cold engine light until the idle dips to 700+/- rpm and the light goes away. I've been very careful with that. As for my model, it's the 2018 GT Black. I'm not aware of the instrument cluster differences between what's on mine and other models.

I'll keep you all updated.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:29 PM   #123
nitro_alltrac

The conditions for the light coming on in my car appear to be different than what some of you are getting.

the first time mine came on was on the way to work one morning in April. The car was well warmed up and I had been on the interstate for probably 12 miles with the cruise on at about 70 MPH. Steady state driving.

The second time was in late June, on my way home from work, the car well warmed up, on the interstate again at about 70 mph. Probably 10 miles in this time.

In April, the ambient was probably about 45-50 degrees F. The June incident, it was probably in the 80s as it was around 4:30 PM or so.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:11 PM   #124
Seanzky

I updated my thread here:

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...5&postcount=12
Old 09-06-2018, 10:19 PM   #125
nitro_alltrac

Let us know how it goes.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:56 AM   #126
Seanzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro_alltrac View Post
Let us know how it goes.
Of course. If I can contribute anything to these forums, I will.