follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 12-26-2015, 02:06 AM   #1
Tofu-86

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Modding, moving, under warranty, maintenance?

I bought my 15 BRZ this April, so far it has about 10k miles on it. I went FI a couple of months back with 7k miles already on it, together I also changed all the oils and brake pads. Most importantly, I moved from FL to CA. So the question is, what should I do with the scheduled service now?

I mean I don't really want them to mess with the oils and all but I also kinda hope the factory warranty can still cover the change for the air filter and check for tear and wear.

PS. Happy Christmas and merry new year
Tofu-86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 02:30 AM   #2
ashtray
As Seen On The Internet

Drives: 2003 WRX, 2013 BRZ, 442
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Welcome to CA - prepare to return your car to stock. (you need to have your car pass smog inspection, meaning every component of the engine from the intake to the exhaust has to be either original or have a CARB number - most aftermarket products don't have a CARB certificate.)

Warranty is for when something on your car breaks. Maintenance is when you have to change the oil, air filter, etc. Did you get a maintenance package when you bought the car? If so, and if it was a Subaru thing, call your local dealership and see if they honor it.

As for your FI - if something breaks in your engine, your warranty likely won't cover it. Hopefully your car is paid off before you did major mods. Owing car payments on a non-running car would suck.

As for Los Angeles - lots of great driving roads in the area - just don't cross the yellow lines in the corners and watch out for cyclists.
ashtray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ashtray For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-26-2015)
Old 12-26-2015, 04:05 AM   #3
aegisdrgn

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 Series #2263
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Los Angeles? Looking for fellow enthusiasts?

Join us.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/lateralg/
aegisdrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aegisdrgn For This Useful Post:
86kahl (12-27-2015)
Old 12-26-2015, 04:38 AM   #4
Tofu-86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtray View Post
Welcome to CA - prepare to return your car to stock. (you need to have your car pass smog inspection, meaning every component of the engine from the intake to the exhaust has to be either original or have a CARB number - most aftermarket products don't have a CARB certificate.)

Warranty is for when something on your car breaks. Maintenance is when you have to change the oil, air filter, etc. Did you get a maintenance package when you bought the car? If so, and if it was a Subaru thing, call your local dealership and see if they honor it.

As for your FI - if something breaks in your engine, your warranty likely won't cover it. Hopefully your car is paid off before you did major mods. Owing car payments on a non-running car would suck.

As for Los Angeles - lots of great driving roads in the area - just don't cross the yellow lines in the corners and watch out for cyclists.
lol. Thanks for the warning I actually moved here first and then went FI with 100% CARB legal parts. Everything on the car is 100% CA standard except for the front plate.

I didn't realize the maintenance package and warranty were two separate things, I was asking about the maintenance package. Before when I was in FL, all I had to do was bringing the car to the dealership and there was not charge whatsoever. Don't think I purchased any package when I bought the car (paid in full)
Old 12-26-2015, 09:24 AM   #5
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisdrgn View Post
Los Angeles? Looking for fellow enthusiasts?

Join us.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/lateralg/
I read this as:

86kahl (12-27-2015), aegisdrgn (12-27-2015)
Old 12-26-2015, 10:12 AM   #6
grinerizer

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited SWP
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Every Subaru sold in Florida to a Florida resident comes with 4 services. If you have not used all 4, your new local dealer should be able to look this up and honor it for you. If you want to know beforehand, send me your vin in a PM and I will look it up for you.

Source: Subaru Service Consultant in Florida.
grinerizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 12:47 PM   #7
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
The standard Subaru service package is supposed to be included with the vehicle. It's not really free. It's rolled into the price. They imply you're getting something for free, but you're really paying for it. Think of it as "included" service rather than "free."

The service plan is nationwide. I had mine done in different states with no problem. They just looked up my VIN in the computer and honored it. As for whether they'll do just the air filter, ask.

Going FI doesn't change your service plan. It also doesn't outright void the warranty. According to the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act, in order to legally deny warranty work, the dealer has to be able to show that your modification caused the problem. For example, if your dash stops working, they would have a hard time claiming it was because of your turbo.

On the other hand, if you develop an internal engine problem, it's likely that they will try to deny the warranty work as a result of the mod. If they deny it, and you don't think the turbo caused the problem, you can sue them (or take them to arbitration) to get reimbursed. Judges and mediators will often side with the consumer on these matters because the manufacturer is assumed to have deeper pockets and to be better able to absorb the loss.

If you were to develop a transmission or axle problem, the dealer may or may not try to blame the turbo. They may say isn't not engine, so it's not related. Or they may say that since you're pumping more power into those components, you're to blame. A lot of that depends on how "mod friendly" the dealership is, so you might want to do some research on dealers in your area to see which ones are more mod friendly than others.

Bottom line, be ready to pay for the work yourself, but don't take their word for it that it's not covered if they try to refuse it. You might end up paying for it and then getting it back in arbitration.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Tofu-86 (12-27-2015)
Old 12-26-2015, 04:12 PM   #8
86Hiro

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
You going FI voids all your warranties. Just letting you know that.
86Hiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 12:16 AM   #9
extrashaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Hiro View Post
You going FI voids all your warranties. Just letting you know that.
Thanks for offering that incorrect information.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
mav1178 (12-28-2015), Nickosport (12-29-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 06:39 AM   #10
86Hiro

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
Thanks for offering that incorrect information.

Technically....it does. I work for a Dealership. As you stated above, if a customer comes in with a "problem", referring to a engine/transmission/drivetrain area. Automatically the FI is considered a customer add-on VOIDING component. However, if the problem has occurred and is a normal problem etc etc not having to do with the FI, than that is a grey area. I side with what you stated above, but from a Dealership aspect, any customer added component that affects the drivetrain, is considered to be a Warranty Voiding component.
86Hiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 09:21 AM   #11
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
I thought the warranty is voided as long you cross the door and said the words "i have a problem"
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Teseo For This Useful Post:
Tectoniic (12-28-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 11:37 AM   #12
extrashaky

Quote:
Technically....it does.
Technically, it doesn't. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act says that a modification does not void the warranty. The warranty is still in effect. The manufacturer is just not responsible for damage caused by the consumer.

Quote:
Automatically the FI is considered a customer add-on VOIDING component... I side with what you stated above, but from a Dealership aspect, any customer added component that affects the drivetrain, is considered to be a Warranty Voiding component.
There is no such thing as a "warranty voiding component." It is illegal under Magnuson-Moss for a manufacturer or dealer to declare a warranty void because the consumer made a modification. It has to be taken on a case by case basis, and the manufacturer has to be able to show that the specific modification caused the specific problem.

For example, if someone brings in a car with a turbocharged motor with a spun bearing, and you could show how the turbocharger led to the spun bearing, you could legally deny the warranty claim. But you can't legally make a sweeping policy stating, "turbos void all warranties" with no direct cause-effect relationship. You will get spanked in court when someone doesn't accept the bullying tactics and challenges it.

Quote:
However, if the problem has occurred and is a normal problem etc etc not having to do with the FI, than that is a grey area.
That's not a grey area at all. The warranty is still in effect. The responsibility is not on the consumer to show that the defect should be covered. That's a given. The responsibility would be on the manufacturer or dealer to show that the consumer caused the problem. If they can't demonstrate the cause and effect relationship in court, they'll lose.

Car dealerships have done a fantastic job of bullying and misinforming their customers about the warranties and providing their employees with incorrect information about Magnuson-Moss. A service writer where I bought mine outright told me that if I put a header on my car, the warranty would be "automatically voided," and I laughed at her. They might try to bully me, but then I would sue them and win. Another FR-S owner I know takes his to a "mod-friendly" dealership. They used to pull that same garbage, but they're "mod-friendly" now because they got sued enough times that they were told by their lawyers to cut that shit out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
ARTBRZ (12-27-2015), ollie (12-27-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 07:32 PM   #13
Tofu-86

Quote:

The service plan is nationwide. I had mine done in different states with no problem. They just looked up my VIN in the computer and honored it. As for whether they'll do just the air filter, ask.
Thanks, that's really helpful.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:19 PM   #14
ARTBRZ
Aloha!

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Technically, it doesn't. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act says that a modification does not void the warranty. The warranty is still in effect. The manufacturer is just not responsible for damage caused by the consumer.

There is no such thing as a "warranty voiding component." It is illegal under Magnuson-Moss for a manufacturer or dealer to declare a warranty void because the consumer made a modification. It has to be taken on a case by case basis, and the manufacturer has to be able to show that the specific modification caused the specific problem.

For example, if someone brings in a car with a turbocharged motor with a spun bearing, and you could show how the turbocharger led to the spun bearing, you could legally deny the warranty claim. But you can't legally make a sweeping policy stating, "turbos void all warranties" with no direct cause-effect relationship. You will get spanked in court when someone doesn't accept the bullying tactics and challenges it.

That's not a grey area at all. The warranty is still in effect. The responsibility is not on the consumer to show that the defect should be covered. That's a given. The responsibility would be on the manufacturer or dealer to show that the consumer caused the problem. If they can't demonstrate the cause and effect relationship in court, they'll lose.

Car dealerships have done a fantastic job of bullying and misinforming their customers about the warranties and providing their employees with incorrect information about Magnuson-Moss. A service writer where I bought mine outright told me that if I put a header on my car, the warranty would be "automatically voided," and I laughed at her. They might try to bully me, but then I would sue them and win. Another FR-S owner I know takes his to a "mod-friendly" dealership. They used to pull that same garbage, but they're "mod-friendly" now because they got sued enough times that they were told by their lawyers to cut that shit out.
What this person said. saw this on a cnet on cars episode.

ARTBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote