follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northwest

Northwest AK, ID, OR, WA

User Tag List

Old 03-30-2018, 03:29 PM   #1
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Final Drive install Lynnwood/Everett

I am looking to get a 4.5final drive installed. Does anyone know or recommend any shops in the Lynnwood/Everett area? And what the approximate labor cost I should be expecting?
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:33 PM   #2
PantsDants

Drives: Scion FR-S A/T, Whiteout
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
I am looking to get a 4.5final drive installed. Does anyone know or recommend any shops in the Lynnwood/Everett area? And what the approximate labor cost I should be expecting?
These guys did my final drive swap back in 2013, and I've had zero problems with it. They're in Kirkland, so a bit out of the way from where you mentioned: http://www.northwestdifferential.com/

Expect around $700-$800 if they're doing the whole thing for you (dropping the carrier, swapping the ring and pinion, reinstalling the carrier).
PantsDants is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PantsDants For This Useful Post:
Teseo (03-31-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 11:46 PM   #3
86TOYO2k17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantsDants View Post
These guys did my final drive swap back in 2013, and I've had zero problems with it. They're in Kirkland, so a bit out of the way from where you mentioned: http://www.northwestdifferential.com/

Expect around $700-$800 if they're doing the whole thing for you (dropping the carrier, swapping the ring and pinion, reinstalling the carrier).
Ok I’ll keep them in mind.

I got the RHDjapan auto factory 4.5fd kit. Pretty sure comes with everything. I also got a Cusco trans mount and Cusco pinion diatance collar.

Is there anything else I should do at same time?
Also did you have to provide the oil? And do a 50mile break in then go back and change oil again? If so how much oil should I buy?
Old 04-01-2018, 06:08 AM   #4
PantsDants

Drives: Scion FR-S A/T, Whiteout
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
Ok I’ll keep them in mind.

I got the RHDjapan auto factory 4.5fd kit. Pretty sure comes with everything. I also got a Cusco trans mount and Cusco pinion diatance collar.

Is there anything else I should do at same time?
Also did you have to provide the oil? And do a 50mile break in then go back and change oil again? If so how much oil should I buy?
Since your car is so new, there isn't anything else you need to do at the same time in terms of maintenance. It looks like your kit covers the installation parts, so you should be good to go there. The only thing missing seems to be pinion depth shims, but the shop should have those on hand.

As for upgrading things at the same time to potentially save on labor: The pinion collar is a good idea if you plan to make significantly more power down the road. Since you're doing the transmission mount, it might make sense to do differential mount bushings as well. Additionally, anything else that touches the carrier is fair game, such as stronger rear axles, lighter driveshaft, or even swapping out the differential itself for an OS Giken or something. Those are all really up to you though, I don't have experience with any of those mods.

As far as gear oil and the break-in, they have drums of 75W-90, so you shouldn't need to bring any. The oil change after the break-in period was complimentary when I had mine done, you just need to schedule a follow-up appointment.

Obviously, ask the shop about any and all of the above if they don't just spell it out for you. Good luck!
PantsDants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 03:45 AM   #5
86TOYO2k17

Ok thanks for all your help. I need to finish up my OFT e-tune. And then I will be making a appointment for the FD swap probably at the place you recommended.

Final part list I have is 4.5fd kit, Cusco trans mount collar, Cusco pinion spacer, whiteline support outrigger insert, and whiteline shift kit & diff mount insert.

Hope this shop can install all these extras and for a reasonable price in addition to FD.

Last “performance” mod I need unless I go FI in future.

Tags
everett, final drive, install, location, pnw