follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 05-10-2012, 08:38 AM   #99
neutron256

Drives: '13 GBS Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YukiHachiRoku View Post
At the end of the day, you drive a Scion, because that's how they sold these cars in this country. You can change badges all day long, you're not fooling anyone. Have fun looking yourselves in the mirror and sleeping well at night. gg
I disagree you will probably fool a lot of people, just not ones who know a lot about the car. Even those who do know a lot about it will at least catch their attention.

I know the first time I see one re-badged I'll take notice.
neutron256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #100
Spd229

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S AT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Am I really the only one here who doesn't look at this car differently as a Scion / Subaru / 86?

The only real difference is the interior, the suspension tuning, and the price you pay. Which is moot depending on changes made to the car.

Calling anyone out for rebadging or other cosmetic changes might as well be you trying to justify your purchase or assert yourself.

At the end of the day, you drive your car. Make it what you will.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:29 AM   #101
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YukiHachiRoku View Post
At the end of the day, you drive a Scion, because that's how they sold these cars in this country. You can change badges all day long, you're not fooling anyone. Have fun looking yourselves in the mirror and sleeping well at night. gg
i was just posting the badge so people can see the prongs, i doubt anyone has scion badges on ebay... lol

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:24 AM   #102
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
A brand is supposed to mean a lot more than just the products it sells. I am faithful to the Toyota brand, not the Scion brand. Scion and Toyota have very different meanings to me.

“A brand is a person’s gut feeling about a product, service, or company.” - Marty Neumier, The Brand Gap

It's the same thing as if it were to be badged a Lexus. Would people think differently if this were the Lexus FR-S? Yes, they would, because the Lexus brand has certain pretenses. Regardless of whether or not it's the same car, people think differently about it. Of course a Lexus RX350 is just a Toyota highlander with some gussied up features. But thousands of people buy it thinking they're getting some fantastic luxury car! Why is that? Because of Lexus' brand image.

Like Lexus being associated with Luxury, Toyota is (to most) associated with dependable, reliable cars and (to some like me) excellent motorsports heritage. Scion has associated themselves with being hip, fresh, and new, or at least that's what the aging marketing reps are trying to make the brand appear to be.

In the end, it's all about who you want to be associated with. Do I want to be associated with those who enjoy classic sporty cars like the Supra, MR2, Celica, even Starlet and Corolla, or do I want to be associated with the guy driving the xB or xD? My best friend's 60-yr-old mother drives a bright blue body-kitted xB. She is not hip. She is not fresh, or cool. She bought it because it's spacious and cheap.

Since I don't have the choice to get a Toyota, I'll take a Subaru, thanks. If the Scion brand image doesn't bother you, then great! Maybe this car will help change that brand image, because right now I think it's pretty lame.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:14 PM   #103
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
The "FRS" is coming off of my car...need to have symmetry out back
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #104
RiskyTrousers

Drives: '87 Corolla GTS, '13 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I'm going to re-badge mine with GT-R 86 MR F ZR-1 SupraTT!
I'll follow this with some sweet @$$ Japanese characters down the front fenders that actually mean "super market" or "furniture".

BooYa!
RiskyTrousers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RiskyTrousers For This Useful Post:
YukiHachiRoku (05-10-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #105
MattR
Running in the 90s

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiskyTrousers View Post
I'll follow this with some sweet @$$ Japanese characters down the front fenders that actually mean "super market" or "furniture".
MattR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #106
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

BooYa!

All I could think of when I read this was the Civics from "True Crime Streets of LA"
Couldn't find a screenshot of one with Kanji all down the side... damn!

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #107
TuxedoCartman
Banned

Drives: '13 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

BooYa!
Would that make it a hachi-kagu?
TuxedoCartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:40 PM   #108
YukiHachiRoku
Lex Luger

Drives: 2004 GS430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
A brand is supposed to mean a lot more than just the products it sells. I am faithful to the Toyota brand, not the Scion brand. Scion and Toyota have very different meanings to me.

“A brand is a person’s gut feeling about a product, service, or company.” - Marty Neumier, The Brand Gap

It's the same thing as if it were to be badged a Lexus. Would people think differently if this were the Lexus FR-S? Yes, they would, because the Lexus brand has certain pretenses. Regardless of whether or not it's the same car, people think differently about it. Of course a Lexus RX350 is just a Toyota highlander with some gussied up features. But thousands of people buy it thinking they're getting some fantastic luxury car! Why is that? Because of Lexus' brand image.

Like Lexus being associated with Luxury, Toyota is (to most) associated with dependable, reliable cars and (to some like me) excellent motorsports heritage. Scion has associated themselves with being hip, fresh, and new, or at least that's what the aging marketing reps are trying to make the brand appear to be.

In the end, it's all about who you want to be associated with. Do I want to be associated with those who enjoy classic sporty cars like the Supra, MR2, Celica, even Starlet and Corolla, or do I want to be associated with the guy driving the xB or xD? My best friend's 60-yr-old mother drives a bright blue body-kitted xB. She is not hip. She is not fresh, or cool. She bought it because it's spacious and cheap.

Since I don't have the choice to get a Toyota, I'll take a Subaru, thanks. If the Scion brand image doesn't bother you, then great! Maybe this car will help change that brand image, because right now I think it's pretty lame.
I miss living in Japan, where Acuras are just Hondas, Infinitis are just Nissans, and Lexus's are just Toyotas.
YukiHachiRoku is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to YukiHachiRoku For This Useful Post:
Turbowned (05-11-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 10:42 PM   #109
YukiHachiRoku
Lex Luger

Drives: 2004 GS430
Quote:

BooYa!
I'm gonna put Lexus badges on mine, along with Type R stickers on the side!
YukiHachiRoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:45 AM   #110
Nate219BRZ

Drives: Rip 04 golf gti rip 05 scion TC
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If I decide to do anything, its not going to be a RE-BADGE. I'll take off the badges measure the pins out and design a skull and cross bones badge and use that. My reason, when I purchased my `05 Tc, and I did so like I did my BRZ, BLIND (no info, no test drive, not ever seeing the car). I was sad to see another one that some OLD LADY, that walked up to me in the parking lot of my local grocery store and started asking questions, then 2 weeks later had a car shipped from out of state. EXACT SAME SPEC and COLOR. Yes, I do realize that Tc turned into a "chick" car, but give me a break I was a Senior in highschool with a brand new car that I worked for. so that kind of pissed me off. That's why this time around I went with the BRZ, for the potential of exclusivity (for hopefully a little while longer then 2 weeks). You cannot imagine my 18 year old RAGE!!!!! If that lady or any old lady walks up and starts asking questions this time, I'm going to tell her its a BUICK.
Nate219BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:23 AM   #111
JDM_Badge

Drives: '13 FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Meh, I am rebadging. I have no problems with Scion or the image they are trying to portray. Hell, my initial interest with this car started with the fact that it was to be the modern day Hachi Roku (how boy racer does that sound?). I fell in love with the 86 HID\LED lights + front and rear fogs, and at any cost I will have them. While I am nerding out I may as well go full on JDM cosmetics for kicks. I just can't wait until some true JDM guy gives me hell for going with the US TRD exhaust tips, they look so nice being flush to the diffuser.

When it comes down to it, cosmetics are just fun anyway as long as they don't hurt performance in a meaningful way. I am going to cry for mankind the first time I see one of these hella stanced though.
JDM_Badge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #112
Liquidsnake

Drives: "I drives like a Porsche"
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Are you guys going to change the floor mats too? What about the Steering wheel?