follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-10-2017, 02:25 PM   #15
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ94 View Post
Thanks for the input guys. So basically the part still "fits" but does nothing for performance. I got my car used and it came with the TRD exhaust which does nothing for performance anyway. I'm not really trying to increase performance but to me the car sounds a bit unnatural in the cabin, more resonance sounds rather than engine sounds and I think it's because of the sound tube.

I know a lot have said the TRD intake would change the sound but in what way? I know it'll get rid of the sound tube but is it louder, quieter, more natural sounding, etc?

Thanks again
You can plug the sound tube and I highly recommend you do. The TRD intake will give more sound in a pre 17 since it flows more air. The 17s (MT) flow more stock so you will get very little change in sound. Hard to describe the noise in words but is is sort of a "whooooosh" on acceleration. No real difference at idle.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:42 PM   #16
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Don't plug your tube, plug your ears.

PetrolioBenzina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:11 PM   #17
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
The boy wants to do something, let him do it lol. Who cares if there are gains.

I spent about 10K on this car already and zero of that was for under the hood lol. I did a ton of research and know that all these induction end things dont do squat. But some people like doing upgrades for the sake of doing upgrades, let the kid have some fun.

First off ....... it's not proper for you to be calling the newbie "boy" ....... you're not old enough to do that........

Second off, if you have spent $10,000 on your car ...... with nothing to do with the engine, you're the last person that should be giving mod advice .....

That's all ....... for now!

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:15 PM   #18
AZ94

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
You can plug the sound tube and I highly recommend you do. The TRD intake will give more sound in a pre 17 since it flows more air. The 17s (MT) flow more stock so you will get very little change in sound. Hard to describe the noise in words but is is sort of a "whooooosh" on acceleration. No real difference at idle.
So I get that you'll hear more of "whoosh" because of increased air flow but since the TRD intake gets rid of the sound tube altogether wouldn't you hear less in the cabin?

Since the 17's already flow more air basically the only thing that adding a TRD intake would do would be making the cabin quieter because it gets rid of the sound tube? So basically if for some reason I wanted to do that, I could just plug the sound tube and it'll do the exact same thing as getting a TRD intake for the 17?
AZ94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:21 PM   #19
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ94 View Post
So I get that you'll hear more of "whoosh" because of increased air flow but since the TRD intake gets rid of the sound tube altogether wouldn't you hear less in the cabin?

Since the 17's already flow more air basically the only thing that adding a TRD intake would do would be making the cabin quieter because it gets rid of the sound tube? So basically if for some reason I wanted to do that, I could just plug the sound tube and it'll do the exact same thing as getting a TRD intake for the 17?
I plugged my sound tube before I even left the dealer lot. Just shoved the cap from the socket in the glove box into it. It has the same effect as removing it. The only thing you get from the TRD is a cleaner looking engine bay since that useless plastic tube is removed. There also the option of just removing the sound tube and plugging the hole in the side of the intake.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:46 PM   #20
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
When I added the TRD intake, it was mostly for looks, larger surface area of filter and the sound tube removal.

It will sound different. You won't hear it in the cabin so much and the induction noise would be different, but no "whooshing." You typically only get the "whoosh" from open conical filters IMO.

I would still do it just for an elegant looking solution that looks nice and tidy and is easy to service.

I know gains would be minimal at best, but logic says a straight shot like the TRD provides would be better. Idk, it looks nice and gets rid of the sound tube and its factory approved. If you can get one cheap, it is one of the better intakes to get. JMO.

Also it will sound different than the stock box. Simply due to shape and design.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-10-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 04:25 PM   #21
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
When I added the TRD intake, it was mostly for looks, larger surface area of filter and the sound tube removal.

It will sound different. You won't hear it in the cabin so much and the induction noise would be different, but no "whooshing." You typically only get the "whoosh" from open conical filters IMO.

I would still do it just for an elegant looking solution that looks nice and tidy and is easy to service.

I know gains would be minimal at best, but logic says a straight shot like the TRD provides would be better. Idk, it looks nice and gets rid of the sound tube and its factory approved. If you can get one cheap, it is one of the better intakes to get. JMO.

Also it will sound different than the stock box. Simply due to shape and design.
Ya "whoosh" is the best I could come up with.
Summerwolf (12-10-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 04:36 PM   #22
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
OP, several people in the know have told you the 17 stock airbox and intake system designed for the changes in the 17 MT engine is better than the TRD, yet every follow-up question you have keeps asking about the TRD.

Go buy the TRD. The money spent will be well worth the tiny change in sound.
PetrolioBenzina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 05:22 PM   #23
AZ94

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolioBenzina View Post
OP, several people in the know have told you the 17 stock airbox and intake system designed for the changes in the 17 MT engine is better than the TRD, yet every follow-up question you have keeps asking about the TRD.

Go buy the TRD. The money spent will be well worth the tiny change in sound.
Chill out. Most people like to make informed decisions. If I'm going to spend or not spend a decent amount of change on something I would hope that the questions in my mind get answered. Maybe what you're looking for in a part is different than what I'm looking for and maybe you can come to a conclusion based off an answer I can't.

Second of all, no one said the stock was "better than the TRD", just that the TRD won't increase performance, but if that's your opinion I'd like to hear why because that would help me. First I asked if it would fit, which was answered then I asked if adding a TRD intake was similar to simply removing the sound tube on the 17 MT because the 17's already have better stock intakes which was answered as well.

I had questions in my mind, which maybe I didn't ask properly, but if I still have questions I'm going to ask them. Thought that's what a forum was for.
AZ94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 05:32 PM   #24
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post

First off ....... it's not proper for you to be calling the newbie "boy" ....... you're not old enough to do that........

Second off, if you have spent $10,000 on your car ...... with nothing to do with the engine, you're the last person that should be giving mod advice .....

That's all ....... for now!

humfrz
Hey it does say "junior member" under his username
humfrz (12-10-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 05:39 PM   #25
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
Hey it does say "junior member" under his username
Well now, that's true ....... but, I'll betcha I was older than your father, when I was a "junior" member on this forum ........ and I don't call you "boy" ....... so, there ......... "boy" ...... (I jest started) ........

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
StraightOuttaCanadaEh (12-10-2017)
Old 06-02-2018, 12:33 PM   #26
rcm47

Drives: 13’ FRS (traded), 18’ CWP BRZ tS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Sorry to bump and old thread but I kept my TRD intake off of my old FRS and was wondering if it would be a good idea to install it into my BRZtS or would I be taking a step back from the newer stock intake? Should I just sell my TRD intake? Thanks.
rcm47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 12:45 PM   #27
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm47 View Post
Sorry to bump and old thread but I kept my TRD intake off of my old FRS and was wondering if it would be a good idea to install it into my BRZ tS or would I be taking a step back from the newer stock intake? Should I just sell my TRD intake? Thanks.

Sell it.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
rcm47 (06-02-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 12:59 PM   #28
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm47 View Post
Sorry to bump and old thread but I kept my TRD intake off of my old FRS and was wondering if it would be a good idea to install it into my BRZtS or would I be taking a step back from the newer stock intake? Should I just sell my TRD intake? Thanks.
Keep it.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
rcm47 (06-02-2018)