follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 02-05-2017, 11:12 PM   #1
Binary_fission

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Exclamation Winjet Headlight Retrofited D2S HID Problem FRS BRZ

Hey guys, so I run into problem with recently installed Custom build Winjet Headlights for FRS.
Its retrofited with their kit Bi-Xenon: Morimoto Mini D2S
Everything works except driver side low/high beam sometimes doesnt work.
When i start the car, it will come on, then if i try to turn lights off and then back on, driver side wont come on, even if i turn off and turn the car back on.

Already tested the ballasts, swapped them from passenger side. still does that.
The bulb works because when it does come on it will work.
Wiring should be fine too, if there was something wrong it wouldnt come on at all.

So, we are thinking maybe its a fuse or something else that car needs to have it working. If i missed something or you had same issue let me know how to fix it.
Thanks
Binary_fission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:56 AM   #2
maui86

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binary_fission View Post

Hey guys, so I run into problem with recently installed Custom build Winjet Headlights for FRS.
When i start the car, it will come on, then if i try to turn lights off and then back on, driver side wont come on, even if i turn off and turn the car back on.

Wiring should be fine too, if there was something wrong it wouldnt come on at all.

So, we are thinking maybe its a fuse or something else that car needs to have it working. If i missed something or you had same issue let me know how to fix it.
Thanks

What kind of bulbs are you running? Osam, Diode Dynamics, Morimoto, ???

Could be a bad wiring harness; buy a new one from Diode or TRS and see if that fixes the problem.
maui86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:30 AM   #3
Si_Chris

Drives: 2016 ISM BRZ Limited, 2000 Civic SI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Are you using TRS' relay harness with the kit as well?

If you are, I can try to give you my experience with their harnesses as I have used them on my Civic before, as I have done several different retrofits. It seems you have done some extensive troubleshooting already by switching ballasts from side to side. It wouldn't be a fuse because their harness has an inline fuse on the wire that goes to the battery. With their harness, only one of your stock OEM headlight plugs acts as a switch to the harness to ignite the harness and both side ballasts, nothing else. One of your stock OEM headlight plugs is actually not used, if you're using TRS' relay harness.

For your condition of the troubled bulb intermittently working, I would say try checking your ground connections. I know TRS' harness has a individual separate ground wire on the ballast plugs. Perhaps one is not making a clean solid connection.

Also, I know this is obvious, but double check all connections. TRS' harness and plugs sometimes aren't the greatest. Pins can be bent, or the wire pins can easily fall out the plastic plug connector sockets.

As far as the high-beam, there should be a separate plug on the harness that goes to the solenoid plug coming off the projector on the back of the headlight. So in all, behind the Winjet headlight, there should be two connections. One is the D2S bulb, with the plug going to the ballast, that goes to the harness. And second, there should be another plug coming out of the headlight, which is for the solenoid wires for the high-beam, that goes to another plug on the harness. TRS' harness if I remember correctly does come with labels so you know where to plug what.

Other than the above, if it does not help resolve your issue based on your description, you might have faulty ballasts, bulbs, or a harness.
Si_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Si_Chris For This Useful Post:
Binary_fission (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 10:54 AM   #4
KnightRyderx2

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Good suggestion so far. I would also add to the igniter. I'm not familiar with the Morimoto HID systems, but from the pictures the igniter looks to separate from the ballast. If so trouble shoot that the same way you did the ballast, swap igniters from side to side.
KnightRyderx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 03:35 PM   #5
Binary_fission

Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si_Chris View Post
Are you using TRS' relay harness with the kit as well?

If you are, I can try to give you my experience with their harnesses as I have used them on my Civic before, as I have done several different retrofits. It seems you have done some extensive troubleshooting already by switching ballasts from side to side. It wouldn't be a fuse because their harness has an inline fuse on the wire that goes to the battery. With their harness, only one of your stock OEM headlight plugs acts as a switch to the harness to ignite the harness and both side ballasts, nothing else. One of your stock OEM headlight plugs is actually not used, if you're using TRS' relay harness.

For your condition of the troubled bulb intermittently working, I would say try checking your ground connections. I know TRS' harness has a individual separate ground wire on the ballast plugs. Perhaps one is not making a clean solid connection.

Also, I know this is obvious, but double check all connections. TRS' harness and plugs sometimes aren't the greatest. Pins can be bent, or the wire pins can easily fall out the plastic plug connector sockets.

As far as the high-beam, there should be a separate plug on the harness that goes to the solenoid plug coming off the projector on the back of the headlight. So in all, behind the Winjet headlight, there should be two connections. One is the D2S bulb, with the plug going to the ballast, that goes to the harness. And second, there should be another plug coming out of the headlight, which is for the solenoid wires for the high-beam, that goes to another plug on the harness. TRS' harness if I remember correctly does come with labels so you know where to plug what.

Other than the above, if it does not help resolve your issue based on your description, you might have faulty ballasts, bulbs, or a harness.
Thank you so much for the input, i will try again everything you mentioned and troubleshoot again.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:58 AM   #6
maui86

Drives: 86
I'll add to this further as I have seen the same issue with the same setup - However I'm not sure what ballasts you are running so this may or may not apply to you: If you are running an aftermarket ballast with an amp to D2S converter, it may be a bad converter. Found this to be a case on a build, but only after checking damn near everything else first.

So if you haven't already (and are running this type of setup) swap the converter connections and see if that does the trick.
maui86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:13 PM   #7
Khánh

Drives: sc00ter
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks

have you fixed your problem? mine is similar but it sometimes flickers and then goes out.. drivers side also
Khánh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:20 PM   #8
Binary_fission

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khánh View Post
have you fixed your problem? mine is similar but it sometimes flickers and then goes out.. drivers side also
Not yet will find out this Saturday. Guy who installing it for me ordered canabus and new igniters so hopefully that'll fix it. Ill post here as soon as it fixed

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-2017, 10:27 PM   #9
Binary_fission

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khánh View Post
It was bad bulb and bad igniter.
So I'm getting it warranted and replaced as soon as I get parts. Also I was told to get rid of flickering get canabus.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:18 AM   #10
Khánh

Drives: sc00ter
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
It was bad bulb and bad igniter.
So I'm getting it warranted and replaced as soon as I get parts. Also I was told to get rid of flickering get canabus.

thanks.. i actually just changed my battery and so far so good.. i've only been driving at night 3x so far.. so we'll see
Khánh is offline   Reply With Quote