follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 07-20-2014, 02:08 PM   #1
MurderRider

Drives: 2015 Raven FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tuning Question from a Noob

Okay, so I am reading a lot about tuning and flashing and maps and other things I have yet to fully grasp. My specific question is this:

Is there a tune for 93 gas that somehow increases the power of the car in contrast to how it normally handles 93 gas? In other words, does a tune provide superior performance to stock 93 performance? If so, are the gains noticeable? I know there is the e85 tune, but that seems to create a lot more things to worry about (starting the car in the winter, new oil, running the gas down and driving at low RPMS). I would be interested in a 93 tune if it increased power in a noticeable way and had no side effects I couldn't live with.
MurderRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:49 PM   #2
Circuit Motorsports

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Circuit Motorsports
You have a PM.
Circuit Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:31 PM   #3
ThisGuy919

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurderRider View Post
Okay, so I am reading a lot about tuning and flashing and maps and other things I have yet to fully grasp. My specific question is this:

Is there a tune for 93 gas that somehow increases the power of the car in contrast to how it normally handles 93 gas? In other words, does a tune provide superior performance to stock 93 performance? If so, are the gains noticeable? I know there is the e85 tune, but that seems to create a lot more things to worry about (starting the car in the winter, new oil, running the gas down and driving at low RPMS). I would be interested in a 93 tune if it increased power in a noticeable way and had no side effects I couldn't live with.
Yes if a tune is something your interested in use the OFT. It's amazing for what it is and map revisions are coming out pretty steady. Not to mention if your new to tuning and nodding etc. It's an easy route to go. They have maps for some FI if you even have future plans for that. You'll lose some of that torque dip and pick up some gains on stock everything + Oft flash. Before I sold it, it was the best purchase I made
ThisGuy919 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThisGuy919 For This Useful Post:
Shiv@Openflash (07-21-2014)
Old 07-20-2014, 08:02 PM   #4
MurderRider

Drives: 2015 Raven FR-S 6MT
Quote:
Yes if a tune is something your interested in use the OFT. It's amazing for what it is and map revisions are coming out pretty steady. Not to mention if your new to tuning and nodding etc. It's an easy route to go. They have maps for some FI if you even have future plans for that. You'll lose some of that torque dip and pick up some gains on stock everything + Oft flash. Before I sold it, it was the best purchase I made
This begs the question: Why did you sell it if it was so great? Problems arose with tuning?

Also, some other noob questions:

Will tuning screw me on the warranty?
Will tuning lead to engine problems long-term?
What exactly is the risk/gain of tuning for, let's say, 93 octane?
MurderRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:24 PM   #5
RDDR

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisGuy919 View Post
Why did you sell it?
Did you tune it and get rid of it?
I was thinking of getting, tunning thr car and selling it as well. Is there a reason to keep it other than in case more mods are to follow?
Also, is there a list of available maps on the net somewhere?
RDDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:26 PM   #6
Turdinator
Seņor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
A tune is only as good as the tuner that has provided it. The longterm effects on your engine are hard to predict as it is still a relatively new car. Early indications are that as long as you aren't seeing knock or too lean conditions a tune will not affect the longevity of our engines. Which lines up with most other cars out there really.

A tune may be detectable by a dealer so it is always recommended that you flash back to the stock tune before taking your car into a dealership.

Gain is that on 93 with a tune you have the potential to make more power than a tune on 91 which should still make more power than stock. The risk is a poor tune from a poor tuner.

Any mechanical or ECU based mod to a car has the potential to make your car drive worse or even do damage. It is up to you to do your research and make sure you are getting a worthwhile product. Do some searching and lurking on here and you will find everything you want to know about tuning.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:27 PM   #7
Turdinator
Seņor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDDR View Post
Why did you sell it?
I was thinking of getting, tunning thr car and selling it as well. Is there a reason to keep it other than in case more mods are to follow?
This site will tell you all about the OFT and you can look at the available maps.

http://www.openflashtablet.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to Turdinator For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2014, 08:39 PM   #8
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Why did you sell it?
To sell the oft you have to flash back your stock map to car to "unmarry" the device from your car, else the person you sold it to cannot use it.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2014, 08:59 PM   #9
RDDR

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
To sell the oft you have to flash back your stock map to car to "unmarry" the device from your car, else the person you sold it to cannot use it.
Ohh ok, then I'm definitely getting one and keeping it.

Would the tablet be the best way to start modyfing the vehicle? Planning to keep the car NA and am planning to add an exhaust (something quieter as car is daily driven - greedy sp, trd, magnaflow, q300), header (cated or uncatted? ) and op/dp.

The mods will go on slowly and a piece at a time, and I'm not sure what is the most optimal (hp/$) modification lader.

I'm thinking OFT followed by headers than exhaust, over pipe, down pipe? I already have an injen intake which sounds great.
RDDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:43 PM   #10
ThisGuy919

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Quote:
This begs the question: Why did you sell it if it was so great? Problems arose with tuning?

Quote:
Why did you sell it?
Going BOOST!!! Didn't want to do a generic map for turbo wanted something more dialed in. Only reason i sold it. Cant tune and sell it, thats not how it works lol. If you tune it, it becomes "married" to your car. and to sell it and work with a different car you will have to "unmarry" it (flashing back to stock). Never dyno'd it after the tune, but I ran Catless UEL headers and 2.5" cat-back (which im selling if anyone's interested) and my but dyno definitely feels a difference.
ThisGuy919 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThisGuy919 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2014, 11:38 PM   #11
edeekeos

Drives: 2014 Pearl BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
The OFT is the BEST $500 dollars I have EVER spent on a vehicle. Its truly amazing, the gains that can be had by plugging in the device, and sitting there for ~6mins while it flashes. It feels like an entirely new vehicle. No more crappy idle, the torque dip is smoothed out quite a bit, and there are some very noticeable gains in peak HP. It's really a great device!

| OFT & Stg2 e85 Tune | Perrin Intake Tube & High Flow Filter | Perrin Lightweight Crank Pully |
| Tomei UEL Header/Overpipe | HFC/Perrin Catback | Tom's Tails | Enkei RPF1's | RS*R SuperDowns |
edeekeos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edeekeos For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2014, 12:46 AM   #12
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Ohh ok, then I'm definitely getting one and keeping it.

Would the tablet be the best way to start modyfing the vehicle? Planning to keep the car NA and am planning to add an exhaust (something quieter as car is daily driven - greedy sp, trd, magnaflow, q300), header (cated or uncatted? ) and op/dp.

The mods will go on slowly and a piece at a time, and I'm not sure what is the most optimal (hp/$) modification lader.

I'm thinking OFT followed by headers than exhaust, over pipe, down pipe? I already have an injen intake which sounds great.
It all depends on what you want in the long term.

The OFT is great value if you stick to the mods it caters for ie basic bolt on mods headers , drop in filter , any other exhaust mods eg catbacks op/dp don't rearly effect tune much so they are fine.

OFT do do some tunes for their turbo and supercharger kits but tunes are specific to their kits.

The good thing about the OFT is you can sell it if you return tune back to stock. And your in control as you can flash new tune or updated tune or stock tune when you like. you can do this with other tuning devices but it will cost you more plus tunes are generally extra on other devices.

The OFT tune are not quite as good as a dedicated dyno tune on you car for your specific mods, but with standard mods they cater for are pretty close maybe only 5% or less in it. (gain of tune)

The only drama may be your injen intake, but if your not noticing any issues at present ie hesitation, bogging ect it should be fine

All the OFT tune's are done with standard intake which is pretty good and most aftermarket intakes don't do much better than a stock intake with a drop in filter and modded snorkel. Often with aftermarket intakes you need to rescale MAF sensor.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64790

Their are no big gains NA no matter what tuning platform you use

Aftermarket Bits - gains aproximate

Intakes - Stock intake is good - add drop in filter for 2 or 3 HP at expense of filtration possibly.
CAI- aftermarket intakes - little or no gain over stock intake with drop in filte and modded snorkel. Aftermarket CAI type can upset MAF (mass air flow sensor scaling ) causing hesitation/bogging/flat spots- unless you re-tune MAF for intake, unless you going boosted leave intake alone spend money elsewhere.

Catback exhaust no tune = nice sound little or no HP gain

Headers no tune- maybe 5 wheel horsepower slightly better midrange

Tune only aprox 10 Wheel horsepower gain (WHP) but better midrange and reduced torque dip

Tune plus catless headers - possibly 15-20 wheel horsepower eliminate torque dip better midrange

Tune for E85 + headers possibly 30 wheel horsepower

Completly stock car tuned for E85 aprox 20 wheel horsepower reduced torque dip better midrange

some tuner may squeeze a bit more out but you will need high quality fuel and it probably going to be an aggressive tune

If you want more than that then look at forced induction ie turbo/supercharger.

Last edited by steve99; 07-23-2014 at 07:23 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Aerok (07-21-2014), DC2R (07-23-2014), edeekeos (07-21-2014), Shiv@Openflash (07-21-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 01:13 AM   #13
steve99
Banned

Quote:

read here OFT or Tactrix/Ecuflash is least likely to be detected.

OFT does not encrypt/lock or change seed key , and OFT stock ROM is a 100% stock ROM no embedded license info is left in the ROM.

Best to flash back to stock for dealer visits.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68328
Old 07-21-2014, 01:58 AM   #14
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
I
The OFT tune are not quite as good as a dedicated dyno tune on you car for your specific mods, but with standard mods they cater for are pretty close maybe only 5% or less in it.[/I]
I'd say, based upon data provided, less than 2%
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shiv@Openflash For This Useful Post:
edeekeos (07-21-2014), steve99 (07-21-2014)