follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 08-18-2014, 07:04 PM   #1
uEih

Drives: CBS Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anyone else feels invisible on the road?

I have never had issues with any of my old cars and people cutting me off while almost causing accidents but having this car for a year I've had quite a few close calls, three if I remember correctly. All of them of people cutting me off while I can clearly still see their side mirrors and driving up to their side. The closest one being today, I was just driving and it was on the freeway where two highways meet like the picture I've included, the fork meets instead of splitting and there are still two lanes when they meet. This van decided to change lanes as soon as the fork meets which usually cause nothing but issues for other drivers, I don't know why cars don't drive a bit until it's safer to change lanes. My front nose/hood was about where his back wheels are so I'm somewhat in his blind spot but I wasn't hovered there, I was only there for a split second cause I was going faster than he was (not even speeding, just with traffic). He switched lanes so fast that I had to brake so hard causing my tires to squeal for a bit. He didn't even swerve back into his lane to avoid it and continued to push me off the lane, luckily he didn't hit me but I think it was very close. Now while on my lane he almost cut off another person but this time he swerved back into his lane and then sped off after he changed lanes. The way he was driving shows me that I just encountered a bad driver. I've been cut off like this a few times but this was the worst and is making me wonder, I know our cars are small but it's not that small. Anyone else run into situations like this? If i'm speeding then I'd accept that it was my fault but I wasn't at all.

uEih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:09 PM   #2
Fred E

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Yep, I was cut off today and had to decide between getting hit or curbing my wheels... I already had to leave the car at a body shop for almost a month once before so I chose the curb. :/ Pretty much the same reaction from the woman that almost hit me, she didn't even react to me being there or to the horn blaring; didn't swerve or brake.
Fred E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:13 PM   #3
uEih

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred E View Post
Yep, I was cut off today and had to decide between getting hit or curbing my wheels... I already had to leave the car at a body shop for almost a month once before so I chose the curb. :/ Pretty much the same reaction from the woman that almost hit me, she didn't even react to me being there or to the horn blaring; didn't swerve or brake.
Damn that sucks, how bad is the damage? I braked as hard as I could've while keeping control still luckily I didn't hit anything and had some shoulder on my left to turn into a bit. I was so pissed I wanted to flip the driver off. Now I'm a very calm guy and it takes a lot to piss me off but these asshole drivers really irk me with how careless they are. He sped off going probably 80mph+ and must've been in a hurry so his reckless driving really showed.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:30 PM   #4
Akari

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Yeah, I get people trying to merge into my constantly while not seeing the car. I'm used to avoiding idiots and making myself aware after many years of riding a motorcycle.

Pretty much avoid being in anyone's blindspot for long and quicken your reaction time to the horn.
Akari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:54 PM   #5
Norkoastal
Never on Time Always Late

Drives: #silenced crickets
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I find that driving a little on the manic side in this car helps with these scenarios. Anticipate their dumb moves and adjust/react accordingly.
2013GTRNate (08-19-2014), DanDubyah (08-19-2014), funwheeldrive (08-27-2014), Grateful Dave (08-19-2014), kavanagh (08-21-2014), Namuna (08-22-2014), NIN69 (08-18-2014), Wilso (08-19-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 08:04 PM   #6
ashtray
As Seen On The Internet

Drives: 2003 WRX, 2013 BRZ, 442
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norkoastal View Post
I find that driving a little on the manic side in this car helps with these scenarios. Anticipate their dumb moves and adjust/react accordingly.
This. I came from a lower, smaller Miata which was completely invisible on the roads. You have to drive super defensively - which in some cases means you drive aggressively so as to catch the attention of other cars around you (or just so you can get out of a tight cluster of cars that you know someone will change in to your lane at some point.)
ashtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:30 PM   #7
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Honestly?

I have this problem with the BRZ.
I have this problem with the CT200h.
I have this problem with the Camry.
I had this problem with my G20.
I had this problem with my 240SX.
I had this problem with every non-truck vehicle I've had in the past.

It's not an invisible car problem, it's a "smaller than a truck" car problem.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
Laika (08-19-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 08:38 PM   #8
Fastbrew

Drives: 2014 Pearl White BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I must be lucky because I feel people give me more room.
Fastbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:58 PM   #9
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Sometimes to get the attention of these zombie drivers, I would give it a little gas to get my exhaust to rumble.

The BRZ is not exactly a small car (compare to a Miata or a 993), just that everybody seems to be driving a variation of a truck these days. Yesterday I was behind a Bimmer X6 and I wonder if the driver even knows I'm there.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:11 PM   #10
uEih

I usually drive passive, if not I will not stick around any blindspots. I either pass by the car quickly or stay behind them but in a situation like this it was a merge and I didn't expect any cars to immediately change lanes. The part that irks me is that he didn't swerve back to avoid anything even though I was blaring my horn. I always get away from clusters of cars because I do not feel safe next to them but this situation was different as I couldn't get away any of the cars. I'm just glad nothing happened but with me being cautious it still happens.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:34 PM   #11
Fred E

Drives: WRB BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by uEih View Post
Damn that sucks, how bad is the damage? I braked as hard as I could've while keeping control still luckily I didn't hit anything and had some shoulder on my left to turn into a bit. I was so pissed I wanted to flip the driver off. Now I'm a very calm guy and it takes a lot to piss me off but these asshole drivers really irk me with how careless they are. He sped off going probably 80mph+ and must've been in a hurry so his reckless driving really showed.
It could have been worse I suppose, but that doesn't really make me feel any better lol.
Fred E is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fred E For This Useful Post:
uEih (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 11:13 PM   #12
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
I think it might also have something to do with lots ppl in this post live in Cali? LOL

Sorry but god.... I thought Vegas driver was bad till I went to LA.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:13 PM   #13
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
You should have bought a red one. Dark colors on a dark road when somebody else is looking downwards out of the corner of their eye. Of course people aren't going to see you. More importantly, why are you driving in people's blind spots?

When people cut me off, which is rare, they're doing it on porpoise.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:30 PM   #14
uEih

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
You should have bought a red one. Dark colors on a dark road when somebody else is looking downwards out of the corner of their eye. Of course people aren't going to see you. More importantly, why are you driving in people's blind spots?

When people cut me off, which is rare, they're doing it on porpoise.
Well it was 11 AM so it wasn't a dark road. But I wasn't driving in his blind spot either, I was going a bit faster than him and the fork of the 2 highways was becoming one. He decided to change lanes as soon as the highways merged and I was going faster than he was. I was clearly not in his blind spot but as I started passing him up he changed lanes. I never stick on the side of any car if I can help it, I was simply just trying to get by but he changed lanes as I was passing him.