follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-13-2017, 04:05 PM   #1
LowAndSlowBecauseNoTurbo
FRS 10 series #0239

Drives: #0239 FRS 10 series silver ignition
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Gutted stock header and tune for same HP?

what's going on everyone,
so I've got another question. I am still looking to DD my FRS (seeing as I just purchased it) but I am looking into getting some more HP (isn't everyone else though hahaha). my theory, and correct me if I'm wrong, is to buy stock headers and a front pipe and gut the cats to get a more open flowing exhaust. this may not be the best idea to run In the long run but for the time being I want to get rid of this torque dip by gutting both cats and running OFT on stage 2. I can't see spending $600 on headers and another $300 on a front pipe with resonator when I can get the whole stock headers and front pipe for $200. I am keeping my original headers and front pipe to pass smog and everything I just wanted to see what you're opinion on this set up of $200 rather than almost 1K as a temporary fix for the idle dip. I would just gut the cats and not cut and weld pipes as well. trying to keep everything as simple as possible. I know the airflow through the cat housing will rebound off each other but I'm fine with that. I just want more exhaust out so I can get more air in. thanks
Drop in K&N filter, CX Racing oil cooler, Tomei Expreme UEL headers, Invidia N1 Catback, OFT stage 2, Raceland coilovers, stage one Exedy clutch kit, Stoptech drilled and slotted rotors and Hawk HPS street pads
10 series #0239
LowAndSlowBecauseNoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 04:13 PM   #2
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Minimal gains, will sound like crap and bad bang for the buck. Save up and do it right the first time.
8RZ (03-14-2017), Cole (03-15-2017), D_Thissen (03-13-2017), LowAndSlowBecauseNoTurbo (03-13-2017), tCsonfrs (03-13-2017), weederr33 (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 04:40 PM   #3
D_Thissen

Drives: '13 Argento FR-S (Sold)
Thanked 1,439 Times in 855 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
FYI: You will be able to smell fumes inside the cabin if you go fully catless, and since you're in Cali, I'm sure the cops will recognize the smell as well. Buy a used catless header and pair it with the stock fp. It will keep most of the smell down while giving most of the same performance gains of fully catless.

I have driven my car with a catless fp and stock fp back to back and I cant tell the difference. Other than the smell and sound.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:57 PM   #4
LowAndSlowBecauseNoTurbo
FRS 10 series #0239

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Thissen View Post
FYI: You will be able to smell fumes inside the cabin if you go fully catless, and since you're in Cali, I'm sure the cops will recognize the smell as well. Buy a used catless header and pair it with the stock fp. It will keep most of the smell down while giving most of the same performance gains of fully catless.

I have driven my car with a catless fp and stock fp back to back and I cant tell the difference. Other than the smell and sound.
alright, so just a header and thats it? just use the stock exhaust until I can afford it and it'll help with the torque dip? UEL or EL headers? I heard UEL get rid of the torque dip better than the EL headers. is this true?
Drop in K&N filter, CX Racing oil cooler, Tomei Expreme UEL headers, Invidia N1 Catback, OFT stage 2, Raceland coilovers, stage one Exedy clutch kit, Stoptech drilled and slotted rotors and Hawk HPS street pads
10 series #0239
Old 03-13-2017, 04:59 PM   #5
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowAndSlowBecauseNoTurbo View Post
alright, so just a header and thats it? just use the stock exhaust until I can afford it and it'll help with the torque dip? UEL or EL headers? I heard UEL get rid of the torque dip better than the EL headers. is this true?
You can go a long way to eliminate the torque dip with a good tune. It wont be 100% gone without changing headers but a tune deff helps alot.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 05:00 PM   #6
LowAndSlowBecauseNoTurbo
FRS 10 series #0239

Garage
I was looking at this thread
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96235
and this is what I had been going off of and it seemed like a good addition. like I said, I'm looking for some way to eliminate it while saving up for a full header back exhaust system.
10 series #0239
Old 03-13-2017, 05:01 PM   #7
LowAndSlowBecauseNoTurbo
FRS 10 series #0239

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post
You can go a long way to eliminate the torque dip with a good tune. It wont be 100% gone without changing headers but a tune deff helps alot.
so I'm looking into getting an OFT and running stage 1 until I get headers. what performance difference will I get out of stock headers and a stage 1 tune from OFT?
10 series #0239
Old 03-13-2017, 05:03 PM   #8
jasonojordan

Quote:
so I'm looking into getting an OFT and running stage 1 until I get headers. what performance difference will I get out of stock headers and a stage 1 tune from OFT?
Every car is different but I would say a couple whp and tq at best.
the real gains are in the headers on these cars.
The Following User Says Thank You to jasonojordan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2017, 05:05 PM   #9
LowAndSlowBecauseNoTurbo
FRS 10 series #0239

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post
Every car is different but I would say a couple whp and tq at best.
the real gains are in the headers on these cars.
will it help with the torque dip at all? I'm fine with a couple WHP but I'm mainly looking to line out my torque dip
10 series #0239
Old 03-13-2017, 05:06 PM   #10
jasonojordan

Quote:
will it help with the torque dip at all? I'm fine with a couple WHP but I'm mainly looking to line out my torque dip
I went the EcuTek route so I can not comment on if the tuning pad helps with the torque dip or not with just and off the shelf stage1 tune.
The Following User Says Thank You to jasonojordan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2017, 05:13 PM   #11
LowAndSlowBecauseNoTurbo
FRS 10 series #0239

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Minimal gains, will sound like crap and bad bang for the buck. Save up and do it right the first time.
what about this? I don't really mind the exhaust or noise
10 series #0239
Old 03-13-2017, 05:17 PM   #12
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
what about this? I don't really mind the exhaust or noise
That is minimal gains in my book. Don't even know how much of that can be attributed to the gutted cats. May get the same thing with a tune and intake.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:19 PM   #13
LowAndSlowBecauseNoTurbo
FRS 10 series #0239

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
That is minimal gains in my book. Don't even know how much of that can be attributed to the gutted cats. May get the same thing with a tune and intake.
alright cool, Im purchasing the OFT first either way and then ill get a cold air intake and see if that opens up the dip
10 series #0239
The Following User Says Thank You to LowAndSlowBecauseNoTurbo For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 07:43 PM   #14
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
I'm running gutted cats and OFT stage 2. It was a big difference from Stage 1 with the cats. It sounds great too with a cherry bomb and Berk dual exit. [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n3pgL9czCc"]myexhaust86 - YouTube[/ame] I get a lot of compliments on it.

A lot of times when you hear bad things about gutting it's from people who have no experience with it. But it works and it made my car like it has a new engine- huge difference in power but I have yet to dyno it. But My 80-100 MPH time went down by about 1.5 secs and my 0-60 MPH time has lost close to a second too (still on stock tires).

I know the gains aren't the same as the high end headers, but you have the advantage of the stock heat shielding- there is no risk of cooking coils or anything else if you keep the stock heat shields. Also, OEM quality is top notch. No chance of cracked welds.
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to guybo For This Useful Post:
sroby (09-16-2019)

Tags
gutted cat, oft, open flash tablet, torque solution