follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-23-2015, 12:57 PM   #29
yomny
Senior Member
 
yomny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Location: MIA
Posts: 1,545
Thanks: 557
Thanked 468 Times in 340 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rybot View Post
As a general question, how's the intake filter holding up? Have there been any updates to the design to mitigate or reduce the interference in the engine bay?
I replaced mine, not sure if I documented here. JDL's original design is good as it has a nipple on the intake pipe for the oem crankcase vent or anything else you may need it for(or the cold air version, but requires deleting the washer fluid). I didn't need it and the filter was getting torn by the ABS unit and something else im not quite sure what. I'll dig up the info on the new K&N filter im using.. its on the first pics I posted.. the filter bolts up to the turbo inlet directly.


PS- found it. So first I ordered this little fool and it got torn.. the filter pretty much hangs from the flange and its heavy enough to tear the rubber when enough heat hits it. It gets hot in there and the rubber K&N uses couldn't stand up to the heat and the weight of the filter hanging of the flange without any other support.



Proceeded to get this guy, as its a bit longer I needed it to have the flange at an angle. the flange is also longer so it has more support on the turbo inlet and it rests on part of the chassis. Doing great so far.



Sitting in his new home, don't tighten the clamp too much or it'll cut through the rubber, finger tight almost.
__________________
GTX2867R, moto-tuned , tomei op , motiv fp , Invidia Q300 ti , Rota titan 17x9 +42 , nt555 255/40 , ST coilovers w/cascam , Hotchkis sways
yomny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:07 PM   #30
Rybot
Senior Member
 
Rybot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
Location: Missouri
Posts: 335
Thanks: 148
Thanked 69 Times in 55 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomny View Post
I replaced mine, not sure if I documented here. JDL's original design is good as it has a nipple on the intake pipe for the oem crankcase vent or anything else you may need it for(or the cold air version, but requires deleting the washer fluid). I didn't need it and the filter was getting torn by the ABS unit and something else im not quite sure what. I'll dig up the info on the new K&N filter im using.. its on the first pics I posted.. the filter bolts up to the turbo inlet directly.


PS- found it. So first I ordered this little fool and it got torn.. the filter pretty much hangs from the flange and its heavy enough to tear the rubber when enough heat hits it. It gets hot in there and the rubber K&N uses couldn't stand up to the heat and the weight of the filter hanging of the flange without any other support.



Proceeded to get this guy, as its a bit longer I needed it to have the flange at an angle. the flange is also longer so it has more support on the turbo inlet and it rests on part of the chassis. Doing great so far.


So that's the current filter? I thought you just said you're running into issues?

Did you not opt for the washer bottle delete because you DD?
__________________
Rybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:09 PM   #31
yomny
Senior Member
 
yomny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Location: MIA
Posts: 1,545
Thanks: 557
Thanked 468 Times in 340 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rybot View Post
So that's the current filter? I thought you just said you're running into issues?

Did you not opt for the washer bottle delete because you DD?


Lol I was still updating.. this is how it sits.. I ran into issues with the smaller K&N which was torn due to heat and weight from the filter itself hanging without any support. The original JDL design is good, had no issues but since I didn't need the port, I thought eliminating the clutter would help, plus a metal pipe gets really hot, so this may add to the heat the car is sucking in.


I opted for the short ram because I really need my washer bottle.. I use it a lot lol.

__________________
GTX2867R, moto-tuned , tomei op , motiv fp , Invidia Q300 ti , Rota titan 17x9 +42 , nt555 255/40 , ST coilovers w/cascam , Hotchkis sways
yomny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:10 PM   #32
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
 
King Tut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Location: Gulf Breeze, FL
Posts: 7,279
Thanks: 607
Thanked 5,750 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Always better to at least run some kind of intake and not the filter right on the end of the turbo.
__________________
King Tut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:13 PM   #33
yomny
Senior Member
 
yomny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Location: MIA
Posts: 1,545
Thanks: 557
Thanked 468 Times in 340 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Always better to at least run some kind of intake and not the filter right on the end of the turbo.


Any particular reason, just wondering? I know the heat is bad and the rubber on the filter may not handle it. Also see JDL has a 4" intake for the turbo on their bigger framed GTX's. My original intake pipe would get extremely hot, I know the intercooler cools things after this but I thought any reduction in heat anywhere would be beneficial, plus my intake was getting torn up with the rubbing of the ABS unit. I keep an eye on it and if I see anything I could always throw the stock intake on.. after all it was working well.
__________________
GTX2867R, moto-tuned , tomei op , motiv fp , Invidia Q300 ti , Rota titan 17x9 +42 , nt555 255/40 , ST coilovers w/cascam , Hotchkis sways
yomny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:18 PM   #34
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
 
King Tut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Location: Gulf Breeze, FL
Posts: 7,279
Thanks: 607
Thanked 5,750 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomny View Post
Any particular reason, just wondering? I know the heat is bad and the rubber on the filter may not handle it. Also see JDL has a 4" intake for the turbo on their bigger framed GTX's. My original intake pipe would get extremely hot, I know the intercooler cools things after this but I thought any reduction in heat anywhere would be beneficial, plus my intake was getting torn up with the rubbing of the ABS unit. I keep an eye on it and if I see anything I could always throw the stock intake on.. after all it was working well.
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/air_filter
__________________
King Tut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:24 PM   #35
yomny
Senior Member
 
yomny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Location: MIA
Posts: 1,545
Thanks: 557
Thanked 468 Times in 340 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
I see thanks for that, the only thing is that I seem to be using the exact size filter as the original design, the only difference is the 3" piece of metal. Not sure if this changes things that much. This brought up and important point, the filter change could create different pressures and oil leakage!! I don't know if this is just coincidence but my drain line gasket leak started some time after the change and my leak is not from the seals. Damn!!

They are referring to filter changes causing restrictions, I don't think that's the case here though.
__________________
GTX2867R, moto-tuned , tomei op , motiv fp , Invidia Q300 ti , Rota titan 17x9 +42 , nt555 255/40 , ST coilovers w/cascam , Hotchkis sways
yomny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:37 PM   #36
Rybot
Senior Member
 
Rybot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
Location: Missouri
Posts: 335
Thanks: 148
Thanked 69 Times in 55 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomny View Post
I see thanks for that, the only thing is that I seem to be using the exact size filter as the original design, the only difference is the 3" piece of metal. Not sure if this changes things that much. This brought up and important point, the filter change could create different pressures and oil leakage!! I don't know if this is just coincidence but my drain line gasket leak started some time after the change and my leak is not from the seals. Damn!!

They are referring to filter changes causing restrictions, I don't think that's the case here though.
Any other idea as to the leak then? You sure the air filter wouldn't be the problem?
__________________
Rybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:09 PM   #37
yomny
Senior Member
 
yomny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Location: MIA
Posts: 1,545
Thanks: 557
Thanked 468 Times in 340 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rybot View Post
Any other idea as to the leak then? You sure the air filter wouldn't be the problem?


Doubt it, highly, as a restriction would represent the problem as stated by Garret, this is the opposite lol. Not sure.. I guess i'll see how it goes after today with the new gasket.. if not I'll install the flange and see how that goes.
__________________
GTX2867R, moto-tuned , tomei op , motiv fp , Invidia Q300 ti , Rota titan 17x9 +42 , nt555 255/40 , ST coilovers w/cascam , Hotchkis sways
yomny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:46 PM   #38
yomny
Senior Member
 
yomny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Location: MIA
Posts: 1,545
Thanks: 557
Thanked 468 Times in 340 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Update on the turbo oil drain leak, it's still leaking, going on my third gasket. Although I didn't apply loctite this a pretty unsual situation. Not sure if the flange is deformed or what. I should get the new flange tomorrow and I'll be sure to add some blue loctite to the bolts. This is the dumbest must annoying thing I've ever had to deal with. A leak that no matter what's done, doesn't stop lol this feels like a conspiracy lol. Hopefully it ends tomorrow.
__________________
GTX2867R, moto-tuned , tomei op , motiv fp , Invidia Q300 ti , Rota titan 17x9 +42 , nt555 255/40 , ST coilovers w/cascam , Hotchkis sways
yomny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:48 PM   #39
drambo136
Senior Member
 
drambo136's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Drives: 2013 Hot Lava
Location: New Bedford
Posts: 215
Thanks: 42
Thanked 44 Times in 34 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomny View Post
Update on the turbo oil drain leak, it's still leaking, going on my third gasket. Although I didn't apply loctite this a pretty unsual situation. Not sure if the flange is deformed or what. I should get the new flange tomorrow and I'll be sure to add some blue loctite to the bolts. This is the dumbest must annoying thing I've ever had to deal with. A leak that no matter what's done, doesn't stop lol this feels like a conspiracy lol. Hopefully it ends tomorrow.
Try using a VERY small amount of rtv

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
drambo136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:21 AM   #40
yomny
Senior Member
 
yomny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Location: MIA
Posts: 1,545
Thanks: 557
Thanked 468 Times in 340 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drambo136 View Post
Try using a VERY small amount of rtv

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Thanks for that.


I didn't want to get to that point but I have a nice tube of the Toyota liquid gasket, used on the oil pans for these cars and that was next but since I have the flange hopefully coming in today I figured I give that a shot before. I'm going to use thread locker on the bolts also as I noticed yesterday i was able to tighten them more, which wasn't the case when i installed them. I get the feeling they're backing out slightly or the flange is deformed. Its the only thing i could think of because i know it cannot be the gaskets. This is pretty annoying.. one of those things that makes me want to weld a damn drain hose to the center housing(patience, lets be patient lol)


Edit- Here's my worst nightmare for now lol. I cleaned the front part of the oil drain flange but you could clearly see the rear section where the oil has soaked the gasket and coming out through the bottom of the bolt. I cant see any cracks on the cast housing or any oil coming from any other part of the turbo.

front part, close to fans


Rear shot, close to engine.
__________________
GTX2867R, moto-tuned , tomei op , motiv fp , Invidia Q300 ti , Rota titan 17x9 +42 , nt555 255/40 , ST coilovers w/cascam , Hotchkis sways

Last edited by yomny; 06-24-2015 at 11:43 AM.
yomny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 01:01 PM   #41
Rybot
Senior Member
 
Rybot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
Location: Missouri
Posts: 335
Thanks: 148
Thanked 69 Times in 55 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomny View Post
Thanks for that.


I didn't want to get to that point but I have a nice tube of the Toyota liquid gasket, used on the oil pans for these cars and that was next but since I have the flange hopefully coming in today I figured I give that a shot before. I'm going to use thread locker on the bolts also as I noticed yesterday i was able to tighten them more, which wasn't the case when i installed them. I get the feeling they're backing out slightly or the flange is deformed. Its the only thing i could think of because i know it cannot be the gaskets. This is pretty annoying.. one of those things that makes me want to weld a damn drain hose to the center housing(patience, lets be patient lol)


Edit- Here's my worst nightmare for now lol. I cleaned the front part of the oil drain flange but you could clearly see the rear section where the oil has soaked the gasket and coming out through the bottom of the bolt. I cant see any cracks on the cast housing or any oil coming from any other part of the turbo.

front part, close to fans


Rear shot, close to engine.
That second picture is showing the oil buildup on the flange? That's what I'm seeing at least.

I doubt the flanges are bent as you would have experienced this earlier in that case.
__________________
Rybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 01:09 PM   #42
yomny
Senior Member
 
yomny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Location: MIA
Posts: 1,545
Thanks: 557
Thanked 468 Times in 340 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rybot View Post
That second picture is showing the oil buildup on the flange? That's what I'm seeing at least.

I doubt the flanges are bent as you would have experienced this earlier in that case.

I know and this is why my head is going to burst.. it doesn't look bent or warped but why is this leaking, unless there's a hair line crack on the center housing. The front part also had a little build up but I wiped it clean before taking the pic. The only other guess would be the bolts backing out and allowing the oil to flow around.
__________________
GTX2867R, moto-tuned , tomei op , motiv fp , Invidia Q300 ti , Rota titan 17x9 +42 , nt555 255/40 , ST coilovers w/cascam , Hotchkis sways
yomny is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HKS Supercharger owners thread wbradley Forced Induction 927 08-07-2019 12:32 PM
P&L Turbo kit Owners thread Hawaiian Forced Induction 73 07-07-2018 02:31 AM
To Greddy Turbo Owners (or SBD/Zage Turbo).... Melted Radiator Fans? General Opinion? xuimod Forced Induction 106 09-01-2016 07:33 PM
**Offical 213/323/626/818 owners thread** mr. slim Southern California 71 10-07-2013 12:58 PM
P&L Turbo Owners Topic Thread GTB/ZR-1 Forced Induction 4 09-01-2013 06:27 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.