follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Xero Limit
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-16-2019, 06:30 PM   #8555
86TOYO2k17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Location: PNW
Posts: 660
Thanks: 51
Thanked 274 Times in 199 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev0 View Post
Just the black elbow connector was cracked. I replaced that.

I temporarily fixed the coupler leak but moving the metal clamp closer towards the front so it could seal the gap more. Going to try reverting to a base tune to see if that will fix it.
Did you clean off the “mating surfaces” of the inside of rubber coupler and outside intake pipe thoroughly before re-clamping? Any dirt, grime, gunk, sand etc.. can keep it from “sealing” properly.

How tight are you tightening the clamp? I generally tighten it so that the outside of the metal ring is pushing into the coupler just enough to make it flush with coupler. Not too much to damage it, but enough to thoroughly seal it.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:07 PM   #8556
kev0
AUTOMATIC TRANNY
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Drives: 2014 FRS AT
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 213
Thanks: 123
Thanked 29 Times in 24 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
Did you clean off the “mating surfaces” of the inside of rubber coupler and outside intake pipe thoroughly before re-clamping? Any dirt, grime, gunk, sand etc.. can keep it from “sealing” properly.

How tight are you tightening the clamp? I generally tighten it so that the outside of the metal ring is pushing into the coupler just enough to make it flush with coupler. Not too much to damage it, but enough to thoroughly seal it.
Ahh, I didn't clean it but it's tightly sealed. I guess I'll try that.
The intake pipe clamps are all tight too.

Another question: Since my Moto East Flex fuel kit uses the rear o2 sensor, could it be possibly that my o2 sensor could be throwing off the lean mixture since I'd assume that my o2 sensor on the header doesn't work anymore..?

Last edited by kev0; 07-16-2019 at 07:50 PM.
kev0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:40 AM   #8557
ett808
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Drives: 86 & CX-5
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 72
Thanks: 7
Thanked 42 Times in 28 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I want boost...

1. I live in HOT Texas.
2. I autocross, go on spirited drives once or twice a week, and like to drift here and there.
3. My car is 2 years only and only has 10,000 miles on it.
4. Manual of course.


Please talk me into or out of getting the intercooled 210 kit.
Would like to hit 250-270hp.

Current Mods:

Tomei UEL Header (Ceramic Coated).
Tomei Overpipe (Ceramic Coated).
OFT (I'll be selling this before adding boost).
Mishimoto Oil Cooler.
ett808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:15 AM   #8558
86TOYO2k17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Location: PNW
Posts: 660
Thanks: 51
Thanked 274 Times in 199 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ett808 View Post
1. I live in HOT Texas.
2. I autocross, go on spirited drives once or twice a week, and like to drift here and there.
3. My car is 2 years only and only has 10,000 miles on it.
4. Manual of course.


Please talk me into or out of getting the intercooled 210 kit.
Would like to hit 250-270hp.

Current Mods:

Tomei UEL Header (Ceramic Coated).
Tomei Overpipe (Ceramic Coated).
OFT (I'll be selling this before adding boost).
Mishimoto Oil Cooler.
Do you have E85 and/or willing to setup Water methanol injection?
If yes, proceed in discussion.
If no, go to next kit.

This is a great DD and rare occasion autox/track kit. IMO one of the best kits for the street, one of the worst for autox/track, very flat torque curve or rather line. But does lack top end compared to other kits which is where you live at on a track/autox. Do you want a flat 210ft lbs from 3k-7k rpm, or 180ft lbs at 3k gradually building up to 210ft lbs at 5k and 230ft lbs at 6500rpm

Also I mention E85/WMI because without it your heatsoak will be so bad after one lap you’ll be at full NA bolt on power levels. This kit is the worst at managing intake temps without some extra help.

But that low end torque and instant throttle response/boost feels like a strong V6
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 03:52 PM   #8559
Amflow2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Drives: 2k16 frs
Location: Fontana
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hi guys can someone Sell me 72mm pulley for 210 please.
Amflow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 05:26 PM   #8560
ett808
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Drives: 86 & CX-5
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 72
Thanks: 7
Thanked 42 Times in 28 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
Do you have E85 and/or willing to setup Water methanol injection?
If yes, proceed in discussion.
If no, go to next kit.

This is a great DD and rare occasion autox/track kit. IMO one of the best kits for the street, one of the worst for autox/track, very flat torque curve or rather line. But does lack top end compared to other kits which is where you live at on a track/autox. Do you want a flat 210ft lbs from 3k-7k rpm, or 180ft lbs at 3k gradually building up to 210ft lbs at 5k and 230ft lbs at 6500rpm

Also I mention E85/WMI because without it your heatsoak will be so bad after one lap you’ll be at full NA bolt on power levels. This kit is the worst at managing intake temps without some extra help.

But that low end torque and instant throttle response/boost feels like a strong V6
Thanks for the information. Yes we have plenty of e85 here. I guess I'll have to factor in a flex fuel kit to the equation if I go this route.
ett808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:10 PM   #8561
jflogerzi
Senior Member
 
jflogerzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Location: Moreno Valley, CA
Posts: 3,200
Thanks: 1,071
Thanked 965 Times in 748 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Make sure you factor in an oil cooler or better yet a Jackson racing dual radiator

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
__________________
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
Tomei UEL with Stock FP and MXP SP CB
Upgraded Brake Pads Stock Rotors with Motul 600 Fluid
Koing Hypergram 17x8 ET40 FS Indy Hawks 225/45/17
Sprintek 210 IC + FF + Tuned by Mike @ Xero Limit
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:43 PM   #8562
86TOYO2k17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Location: PNW
Posts: 660
Thanks: 51
Thanked 274 Times in 199 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
Make sure you factor in an oil cooler or better yet a Jackson racing dual radiator

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
Yes. This.
But to be fair. You’ll want for any FI kit. Especially if doing any amount of autox/track. I’d say worth it if even full bolt on NA if tracking.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:16 PM   #8563
jflogerzi
Senior Member
 
jflogerzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Location: Moreno Valley, CA
Posts: 3,200
Thanks: 1,071
Thanked 965 Times in 748 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
Yes. This.

But to be fair. You’ll want for any FI kit. Especially if doing any amount of autox/track. I’d say worth it if even full bolt on NA if tracking.
Very true. The JR makes it nice because it's one less radiator in the stack to block airflow and send warm air to your intercooler

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
__________________
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
Tomei UEL with Stock FP and MXP SP CB
Upgraded Brake Pads Stock Rotors with Motul 600 Fluid
Koing Hypergram 17x8 ET40 FS Indy Hawks 225/45/17
Sprintek 210 IC + FF + Tuned by Mike @ Xero Limit
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:26 PM   #8564
kev0
AUTOMATIC TRANNY
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Drives: 2014 FRS AT
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 213
Thanks: 123
Thanked 29 Times in 24 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anyone heard of the wastegate flapper seals leaking? It may be where my vacuum leak is coming from... I only bring this up because my mechanic found a very small leak there. Not sure if it's even worth going after.
kev0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:29 PM   #8565
jflogerzi
Senior Member
 
jflogerzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Location: Moreno Valley, CA
Posts: 3,200
Thanks: 1,071
Thanked 965 Times in 748 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev0 View Post
Anyone heard of the wastegate flapper seals leaking? It may be where my vacuum leak is coming from... I only bring this up because my mechanic found a very small leak there. Not sure if it's even worth going after.
I would fix your issues one at a time instead of looking for problems. ID it, fix it and then test the car. If not move on to the next thing. You seem to just jump around.. never seen anyone have so many problems with a kit/install.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
__________________
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
Tomei UEL with Stock FP and MXP SP CB
Upgraded Brake Pads Stock Rotors with Motul 600 Fluid
Koing Hypergram 17x8 ET40 FS Indy Hawks 225/45/17
Sprintek 210 IC + FF + Tuned by Mike @ Xero Limit
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:31 PM   #8566
kev0
AUTOMATIC TRANNY
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Drives: 2014 FRS AT
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 213
Thanks: 123
Thanked 29 Times in 24 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
I would fix your issues one at a time instead of looking for problems. ID it, fix it and then test the car. If not move on to the next thing. You seem to just jump around.. never seen anyone have so many problems with a kit/install.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
I know. I fixed almost every problem so far. Replaced intake pipe, resealed SC, Reclamped hoses. What I have left is to check the header for leak and to fix the wastegate flapper. I've done so much to get this to work right and it still hasn't been working properly yet. All this for a vacuum leak (P0171) sigh.
kev0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:04 AM   #8567
86TOYO2k17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Location: PNW
Posts: 660
Thanks: 51
Thanked 274 Times in 199 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev0 View Post
Anyone heard of the wastegate flapper seals leaking? It may be where my vacuum leak is coming from... I only bring this up because my mechanic found a very small leak there. Not sure if it's even worth going after.
Yes the vacuum actuator can fail and leak. Common on used kits.

I will say this again. ANY leak no matter how small needs to be fixed.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:39 AM   #8568
kev0
AUTOMATIC TRANNY
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Drives: 2014 FRS AT
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 213
Thanks: 123
Thanked 29 Times in 24 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
Yes the vacuum actuator can fail and leak. Common on used kits.

I will say this again. ANY leak no matter how small needs to be fixed.
Got it. Emailed Sprintex to see what they say. Not sure if they even manufacture spare parts for that. This has been a huge PITA but i'm still looking forward to the car when everything's working.. sigh
kev0 is online now   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
2 whp better than n/a e85, 2 whp? you're an idiot., 2screwsbetterthan0screw, 65 whp better than na e85, bspt fittings ftl, hate u all me no have sc, im just here for the tags, inorite!, it's no turbo but, only big numbers matter, screwyou, whine sexier than turbo, whines_more_than_your_gf, wts grey market butthurt.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Innovative ideas to increase interior storage capacity? swift996 Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) 0 01-30-2013 11:45 PM
AVO vs Innovative diss7 Forced Induction 32 01-21-2013 07:15 PM
Not another need to drive topic Sargy Mid-Atlantic 5 11-27-2012 01:18 PM
Technical topic sub-forums OrbitalEllipses Site Announcements / Questions / Issues 1 07-17-2012 11:38 PM
Can you close the topic please? Standardsuspension Brakes, Suspension, Chassis 14 06-26-2012 05:14 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.