follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-25-2019, 01:50 PM   #1
brzcui

Drives: 2014 supercharged brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Update on the broken brz... fuel problem

Hey guys i posted about my 2014 supercharged brz couple days ago, as you guys suggested i took the car into a shop. After their initial diagnose they claimed they found incorrect fuel pressure which will explain the code P0087 and p0171 about the engine running lean. I cant remember the number they provided from the test but i know from hearing the number the fuel pressure is extremely low? They suggested for a new fuel pump and new fuel filter, they said it doesn’t gurantee to fix the long crank start and drivability problems but they need to get the fuel pressure to correct reading first to start fixing the car, does that sound correct, this is my first time at the shop would they be trying to ripping me off by telling me to buy a new fuel pump? And if i do indeed need to get the fuel pump, which one should i get ? I did research on the DW and aeromotive fuel pump, my car ran 300 whp at the dyno according to the previous owner, what’s the best fitting fuel pump for that range of hp? Any help is greatly appreciated, i just want to get my car running right.
brzcui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 02:18 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brzcui View Post
Hey guys i posted about my 2014 supercharged brz couple days ago, as you guys suggested i took the car into a shop. After their initial diagnose they claimed they found incorrect fuel pressure which will explain the code P0087 and p0171 about the engine running lean. I cant remember the number they provided from the test but i know from hearing the number the fuel pressure is extremely low? They suggested for a new fuel pump and new fuel filter, they said it doesn’t gurantee to fix the long crank start and drivability problems but they need to get the fuel pressure to correct reading first to start fixing the car, does that sound correct, this is my first time at the shop would they be trying to ripping me off by telling me to buy a new fuel pump? And if i do indeed need to get the fuel pump, which one should i get ? I did research on the DW and aeromotive fuel pump, my car ran 300 whp at the dyno according to the previous owner, what’s the best fitting fuel pump for that range of hp? Any help is greatly appreciated, i just want to get my car running right.
Well, if the fuel pressure is extremely low, either the fuel pump is not strong enough to feed the injectors or the fuel pump is defective or the filter is clogged or there is a blockage in the fuel line.

So, replacing the fuel pump and filter seems like a good place to start.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
brzcui (03-25-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 02:20 PM   #3
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well, if the fuel pressure is extremely low, either the fuel pump is not strong enough to feed the injectors or the fuel pump is defective or the filter is clogged or there is a blockage in the fuel line.

So, replacing the fuel pump and filter seems like a good place to start.

humfrz
So which fuel pump should be changed?
brzcui (03-25-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 02:20 PM   #4
brzcui

Any suggestions on the new fuel pump brand ?
Old 03-25-2019, 02:25 PM   #5
brzcui

Is there anything that could cause the fuel pump to fail? I dont think the shop even bothered to check for intake leak or anything like that, they where saying the problem is the engine is getting too much air and the computer is saying oh im lean im lean and then they said the fuel pressure number at that moment is significantly lower than the computer is asking for so that’s why it stalls. And tcoat I remember you saying the exposed wire problems, the car stalled when its completely dry after when they checked on sunday so i think it’s something else
Old 03-25-2019, 02:27 PM   #6
Tcoat

Quote:
Any suggestions on the new fuel pump brand ?
Stock.
You may be headed down a long road of throwing parts at it hoping they work so may as well keep things as consistent as possible.
brzcui (03-25-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 02:29 PM   #7
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
wouldn't it make more sense to have posted your update in your original thread?
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 02:31 PM   #8
Tcoat

Quote:
Is there anything that could cause the fuel pump to fail? I dont think the shop even bothered to check for intake leak or anything like that, they where saying the problem is the engine is getting too much air and the computer is saying oh im lean im lean and then they said the fuel pressure number at that moment is significantly lower than the computer is asking for so that’s why it stalls. And tcoat I remember you saying the exposed wire problems, the car stalled when its completely dry after when they checked on sunday so i think it’s something else
Yep. The wires were the obvious jumping off point based upon your initial description but that does not mean they were the issue just where to start looking. If you are comfortable that they have been eliminated as a cause then it is indeed time to work your way through the other systems. The filter would be a great next step but not so sure that the pump is worth while yet. On the other hand getting to the filter is most of the work so maybe doing the low pressure pump at the same time is worth while. May do all that and find out it is a high pressure pump issue though.
brzcui (03-25-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 02:31 PM   #9
brzcui

You think the problem is the stock fuel pump failing instead of simply just not capable of putting up with the hp? I’m perfectly fine with going stock fuel pump but I don’t want to run in problems with a new stock fuel pump not strong enough and upgrading in the future, is there anyway you can physically check the fuel pump is bad? I know they said the fuel pressure isn’t correct, could it be something else leading to the fuel pump failing but not the part itself being faulty? Thanks for the help
Old 03-25-2019, 02:39 PM   #10
scottryan
Financial Distress

Drives: 2017 GT86 325WHP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I don't want to be disrespectful but your situation is the exact reason why I build my cars from stock rather than buying someone else's project... 1. You don't know what's been done to it 2. You don't know much of anything about the engine to diagnose things yourself...

I hope you get your car figured out
scottryan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scottryan For This Useful Post:
brzcui (03-25-2019), YamahaR86 (03-25-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 02:46 PM   #11
brzcui

No that’s very true, i always wanted a brz but i heard about the lack of power so i was planning on going on engine mods anyways. In my situation, buying a stock for 15k and 6k for a supercharger and install for labor isn’t really worth it, i would rather just save the time and money and spend it on a complete build. Well unfortunately, even though the car at first seems like a complete build w a newly swapped FA20 and it was running fine for a while, problems eventually occurred
Old 03-25-2019, 02:49 PM   #12
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
So which fuel pump should be changed?
The one that shows low fuel pressure - daaaaaaaaa

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 02:53 PM   #13
brzcui

I think he meant so which, fuel pump should be changed due to the condition? Lol idk
Old 03-25-2019, 02:58 PM   #14
Tcoat

Quote:
No that’s very true, i always wanted a brz but i heard about the lack of power so i was planning on going on engine mods anyways. In my situation, buying a stock for 15k and 6k for a supercharger and install for labor isn’t really worth it, i would rather just save the time and money and spend it on a complete build. Well unfortunately, even though the car at first seems like a complete build w a newly swapped FA20 and it was running fine for a while, problems eventually occurred
By paying somebody to trouble shoot these issues you can easily surpass the costs of building it right from the start. The problem is you are now three owners in with no idea what has been done.
brzcui (03-25-2019)