follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 01-25-2018, 01:26 PM   #435
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
Hello,

If you have a HP Holder (suction cup type) on the WindShield for some time,
once you remove it, the WindShield will have a circular mark.
The mark is actually on my solar film.

What is the best way to remove this mark without damaging the Solar film ?

Thanks
I would try warm soapy water .......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:52 PM   #436
redwine

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
I would try warm soapy water .......

humfrz

Is soapy water (make from dishwashing detergent) alright or too strong for Solar film ?

redwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 02:45 PM   #437
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
Is soapy water (make from dishwashing detergent) alright or too strong for Solar film ?

I would think it would be safe. Just rinse off after you wash the area.

From the internet:

"What do I need to know about the maintenance of Solar Guard’s Window Film?
After the dry-out process is complete your Solar Guard window film will not need any special care. Cleaning window film can be done safely with mild soapy water and a soft cloth or soft paper towel. Do not use any rough or abrasive materials for cleaning the film side of the glass. Always use cloths that are free of contamination of dirt particles."

There ya go ......

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
redwine (01-28-2018)
Old 04-21-2018, 01:41 PM   #438
mrnibbs

Drives: ultra marine frs
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Hello trying to find proper way to wash to not get swirls i have not found anything in my searches
mrnibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 03:20 PM   #439
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnibbs View Post
Hello trying to find proper way to wash to not get swirls i have not found anything in my searches
I suggest you google "two bucket wash method" ........

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
mrnibbs (04-22-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 08:40 AM   #440
OfficeWorker

Drives: 2018 WRX STI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnibbs View Post
If it is of interest, I find a combination of a two bucket method, a quality soap with good lubricity, and a good wash mitt minimizes any cosmetic damage that the washing process causes. If the car is extremely dirty or the owner is extremely paranoid, it's not unheard of for someone to use more than two buckets and more than one mitt.

This may be of interest:
https://www.autogeek.net/exterior.html

Alternatively, if doing a rinseless wash, I'll use the Garry Dean method. I'll use a product specifically designed for that purpose and a method that uses one bucket with the solution, dropping a crap ton of towels in the bucket, only using a fresh side of a towel for each swipe (then folding the towel to another clean side, taking another swipe, and repeating), and never putting a towel back in the solution once it has made contact with the car. The specific product used here seems to play a significant role in outcome. If the car is covered in salt, I'll pre-soak with a stronger concentration of the product. This method, with the proper product/technique, can clean highly contaminated vehicles without damaging paint.
OfficeWorker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OfficeWorker For This Useful Post:
mrnibbs (04-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2019, 10:51 AM   #441
Nevinyrral

Drives: BRZ '16 Limited AT
I seem to have alot of random medium length lines on my car doors, they dont seem deep but you can see lines. whats the best way to get rid of these?
I also have alot of micro swirls from my dumb ass using a public brush at a self-car wash, without a hand tool am i SOL?
Also i have a spot on the top of my car where i didnt catch the bird poop in tim eand now thers an imprint, any ideas on getting that out?
Nevinyrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:43 PM   #442
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevinyrral View Post
I seem to have alot of random medium length lines on my car doors, they dont seem deep but you can see lines. whats the best way to get rid of these?
I also have alot of micro swirls from my dumb ass using a public brush at a self-car wash, without a hand tool am i SOL?
Also i have a spot on the top of my car where i didnt catch the bird poop in tim eand now thers an imprint, any ideas on getting that out?
I'd suggest that first you wash the car with dish soap (like Dawn) to remove all the old wax. Then, if the lines are still there, clay bar the car.

Then …. then....I , I would be too tired to do anything else.

Someone will be along with buffing instructions.

humfrz
Old 03-22-2019, 03:39 PM   #443
Beachin86

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
For those asking for washing/detailing questions: Junkman2000 posted on these forums a while back and I've followed a lot of his tips with really great results. You don't need the same hardware or cleaning products, but it'll help if you've never washed/detailed properly. My car is one of the shiniest on the road thanks to his videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvq...dXiug656WLmuOg
Beachin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:10 AM   #444
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,195 Times in 1,124 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevinyrral View Post
You will need a DA polisher to correct paint properly. Dealing with swirls, hazing and light scratches. Be prepared to spend hours. A friends Honda fit took me around 8 hours to go over front to back, with a 2 step compound and polish. If you can do it in one step then you'll save considerable time.
Around 10 hours if you include a decontamination wash with APC, iron-x, and clay.

You might be able to get etching from bird droppings out by hand. Using a microfiber rag with meguiars Ultimate polish. If it's too far etched in then you will need power tools to cut into the paint deeper.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 02:55 PM   #445
JackRabbit

Drives: '19 Toyota 86, MT, Asphalt
I'm short on options to wash my car and need some advice!

I bought it new 2 weeks ago, and have been commuting/driving backroads daily. It's getting grimy and needs a wash asap, but I'm a little stuck here. I'm flying out of state Friday through Monday and it will be parked on the street in my neighborhood in the sun, so I really want to wash it before then. I work a 9 to 5, and I can't find a good hand wash place to take it after work. I don't want to drop it off some place in the morning and leave it all day long. I ordered the supplies for the 2-bucket/ONR method from seven's thread and those will be here Thursday, the night before I leave. I plan on washing it then, but is it ok to wash it that way with the car pretty grimy? It's not mud-caked or anything, but there are definitely some tree gunk spots, lots of dust, etc.
JackRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 04:00 PM   #446
eastendraceshop

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S & '17 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRabbit View Post
I'm short on options to wash my car and need some advice!

I bought it new 2 weeks ago, and have been commuting/driving backroads daily. It's getting grimy and needs a wash asap, but I'm a little stuck here. I'm flying out of state Friday through Monday and it will be parked on the street in my neighborhood in the sun, so I really want to wash it before then. I work a 9 to 5, and I can't find a good hand wash place to take it after work. I don't want to drop it off some place in the morning and leave it all day long. I ordered the supplies for the 2-bucket/ONR method from seven's thread and those will be here Thursday, the night before I leave. I plan on washing it then, but is it ok to wash it that way with the car pretty grimy? It's not mud-caked or anything, but there are definitely some tree gunk spots, lots of dust, etc.
As long as you wash it the right way, you should be good to go! I've been using ONR Wash + Wax for over a year now and it's quick and easy to use! 2 weeks since the last wash doesn't sound too bad IMO.

-Sam
eastendraceshop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eastendraceshop For This Useful Post:
JackRabbit (08-27-2019)
Old 08-27-2019, 06:22 PM   #447
JackRabbit

Drives: '19 Toyota 86, MT, Asphalt
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastendraceshop View Post
As long as you wash it the right way, you should be good to go! I've been using ONR Wash + Wax for over a year now and it's quick and easy to use! 2 weeks since the last wash doesn't sound too bad IMO.

-Sam
Thanks, that's great to hear!

Also, in seven's thread he recommends using Megiuar's #34 on the interior dash/console. Does anyone know if that stuff's good to use on the leather-y parts of the 86 interior? How about the plastic inside of the door? (where my shoe leaves lots of marks). On the Megiuar's bottle it's just listed as an external paint detailing spray, says nothing about interior.
JackRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 07:34 PM   #448
eastendraceshop

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S & '17 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRabbit View Post
Thanks, that's great to hear!
No problem! Paint still looks great after countless waterless/rinseless washes with ONR. Hasn't been polished in 3 years.

-Sam

eastendraceshop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eastendraceshop For This Useful Post:
JackRabbit (08-27-2019)

Tags
detailersdomain, detailing product, paint correction