follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-23-2019, 04:34 PM   #29
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
tl;dr version

- take off metal under pan
- take off paper pan
- unbolt passenger side engine mount
- remove stock header
- lift engine gently
- remove overpipe
- put ace over pipe where stock overpipe was, but do not tighten down

- Install new Engine mount passenger side
- drop engine back down and torque Passenger engine mount

- Lift Driver side, Install mount
- drop engine back down and torque Driver engine mount
- put on ace header
- torque header to engine
- bolt ace merge overpipe to header
- bolt ace merge overpipe to front pie
- check torque
- flash tune
- revise tune
- check torque on all hardware after a few heat cycles. Re-check until a subsequent recheck yields no additional torque being needed.

O2 sensors left out to do at your convenience.

Somewhere in between that he has to do the engine mounts I Put in red where I think
SuperTom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SuperTom For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (01-23-2019), Lakitu (04-21-2019), Stang70Fastback (01-23-2019), wparsons (01-24-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 06:44 PM   #30
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
@Stang70Fastback

I believe the sti mounts come with pretty simple instructions. Took off strut braces and air box (again idk if needed but that’s what I did just to be safe) then I jacked the engine up about 3” from the oil pan (just enough to get mounts out and in) did both mounts same time (not one side at a time) was pretty quick and easy. Oil pan is pretty robust and is only supporting about half the weight of the engine. don’t have the jack on the pan holding the entire weight of the car obviously.

Also did whiteline trans mount insert.(30$) I removed the brace and the middle bolt then lubed insert up and it slid right in didn’t have to actually follow the instructions and remove the whole thing. Both where done same time in about 2h. (I’m also notoriously slow first time I do something) but I did have a lift.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86TOYO2k17 For This Useful Post:
Stang70Fastback (01-24-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 09:19 PM   #31
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
I believe the sti mounts come with pretty simple instructions. Took off strut braces and air box (again idk if needed but that’s what I did just to be safe) then I jacked the engine up about 3” from the oil pan (just enough to get mounts out and in) did both mounts same time (not one side at a time) was pretty quick and easy. Oil pan is pretty robust and is only supporting about half the weight of the engine. don’t have the jack on the pan holding the entire weight of the car obviously.
Well I received my STI mounts today and they came with no instructions at all. Only a warning telling me that, "THESE PARTS HAVE NO WARRANTY, AND YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN. ALSO YOUR CAR PROBABLY ISN'T STREET LEGAL NOW AND YOU WILL LIKELY DIE."

I'm paraphrasing, but only a little bit.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
e_lunatic (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 07:22 AM   #32
tehShirt

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
Well I received my STI mounts today and they came with no instructions at all. Only a warning telling me that, "THESE PARTS HAVE NO WARRANTY, AND YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN. ALSO YOUR CAR PROBABLY ISN'T STREET LEGAL NOW AND YOU WILL LIKELY DIE."

I'm paraphrasing, but only a little bit.

STI mount owner here, can confirm I'm dead. You'll enjoy them though.

I used a block of wood between the jack and oil pan and lifted the engine. No issues after 15k miles. Did you get the transmission mount too?
tehShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tehShirt For This Useful Post:
bhmax (01-24-2019), e_lunatic (01-24-2019), Stang70Fastback (01-24-2019), wparsons (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 01:43 PM   #33
bhmax

Drives: 13 BRZ, 16 FiST, 05 WRX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
It’s been a couple of years for me, but both Ace header and STI mount installations were fairly straightforward for me from what I remember. I did buy metal lock nuts for the header to engine studs since not all are easily torqued.
bhmax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bhmax For This Useful Post:
eastendraceshop (01-24-2019), Stang70Fastback (01-24-2019), Tristor (04-15-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 01:48 PM   #34
eastendraceshop

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S & '17 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehShirt View Post
STI mount owner here, can confirm I'm dead. You'll enjoy them though.
LOL, but was it worth it?
eastendraceshop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eastendraceshop For This Useful Post:
KoreanJesus (01-30-2019), Stang70Fastback (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 01:49 PM   #35
bhmax

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F161846023272

Something like these
The Following User Says Thank You to bhmax For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2019, 02:31 PM   #36
bhmax

Also, I had the engine code pop up for the coil packs even while stock with only 15k miles on my ‘13 while tracking. I took the opportunity while jacking the engine to wrap the coils with gold tape, swap from side to side, and apply a bunch of dielectric grease. That and the ceramic coated Ace have so far kept me code free for quite a few track days and another 15k+ miles. *knocks on wood*
The Following User Says Thank You to bhmax For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2019, 02:47 PM   #37
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhmax View Post
Thanks for the link! I'm actually going to use the lock washers someone else linked to earlier in this thread, though. Already ordered a bunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhmax View Post
Also, I had the engine code pop up for the coil packs even while stock with only 15k miles on my ‘13 while tracking. I took the opportunity while jacking the engine to wrap the coils with gold tape, swap from side to side, and apply a bunch of dielectric grease. That and the ceramic coated Ace have so far kept me code free for quite a few track days and another 15k+ miles. *knocks on wood*
Hopefully shouldn't be an issue for me. I got the CSG Ceramic Coating, so the header is taken care of, and I have a '15 with the revised packs/harnesses. Haven't had any issues yet!

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
The Following User Says Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
bhmax (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 03:55 PM   #38
e_lunatic

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the link! I'm actually going to use the lock washers someone else linked to earlier in this thread, though. Already ordered a bunch.

Hopefully shouldn't be an issue for me. I got the CSG Ceramic Coating, so the header is taken care of, and I have a '15 with the revised packs/harnesses. Haven't had any issues yet!
I got mine coated and also wrapped them just in case. never hurts to have extra protecting
e_lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 05:52 PM   #39
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Well thanks again for the tips everyone. I went to do the install this morning, but upon dropping the skid plate, I discovered an oil leak coating the bottom of the driver's side of the engine. Appears to be a timing cover leak. So buttoned it back up and took it to the dealership, where I was quoted $3200 for a "full reseal" of the engine since supposedly they also found a seeping head gasket on that side. Even having them do just the timing cover was going to be $2800, so I took the car back, and am currently trying to figure out the best course of action, since I'm not inclined to do that kind of work myself at the moment.

So... this install is on hold until I figure this out

Old 02-02-2019, 11:49 PM   #40
kev0

Drives: '14
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Well thanks again for the tips everyone. I went to do the install this morning, but upon dropping the skid plate, I discovered an oil leak coating the bottom of the driver's side of the engine. Appears to be a timing cover leak. So buttoned it back up and took it to the dealership, where I was quoted $3200 for a "full reseal" of the engine since supposedly they also found a seeping head gasket on that side. Even having them do just the timing cover was going to be $2800, so I took the car back, and am currently trying to figure out the best course of action, since I'm not inclined to do that kind of work myself at the moment.

Aw, sorry to hear. I'm in the Illinois area as well. I have a 2014, so that's getting quite old. I'll dread the day that my gaskets will start leaking.. Let me know which shop you end up going to!
kev0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 10:50 AM   #41
Timmy_Jones
Spun

Drives: 17' Focus RS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Do NOT have the dealer do the work (you did the right thing taking the car back). There has to be a local subaru buff near you (there are a bunch near me) where they can do the work and probably throw your header/mounts in at the same time. Shop around a bit. Dont let this deter you!
Timmy_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Timmy_Jones For This Useful Post:
Stang70Fastback (02-03-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 11:20 AM   #42
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy_Jones View Post
Do NOT have the dealer do the work (you did the right thing taking the car back). There has to be a local subaru buff near you (there are a bunch near me) where they can do the work and probably throw your header/mounts in at the same time. Shop around a bit. Dont let this deter you!
I've already reached out to two local Subaru/BRZ centric performance shops and asked exactly that. I'll be getting quotes tomorrow, but the preliminary answers are I can pay them a fraction what the dealership wanted and get the timing cover resealed, AND all the parts installed. I usually like to do things myself, but I'm sure the exhaust is rusted to hell, so having a shop do it might be beneficial. I already have the O2 sensors installed in the new header, so it would be a quick part swap.

Assuming I have them install the parts, do you guys think it's safer to gently drive the car home on the factory tune, or flash the preliminary Delicious tune in their parking lot and drive home on that? I'm thinking driving gently home on the factory tune shouldn't cause any major issues...