follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 08-10-2018, 08:43 PM   #127
pcguru2000

Drives: toyota 86 2017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
omg....so tired of hearing that because someone drives an automatic, they are not driving the car...

It must have been the same thing a while back when people got power steering for the first time. I guess they are not driving the car either.

Or people claiming that their carburetor's is better than a fuel injection.

I drive my car much better with both hands on the wheel. It's also the reason why Formula one drivers have both hands on the wheel. You get twice the sensation of when your tires about to brake traction, of how the road feels, etc. I'm able to concentrate on exactly the task at hand. Essentially your left and right hand are able to work together.

To prove it, try this exercise.

Draw a circle with your left hand while your right hand is immobile.

Now try to draw a circle with your left hand while your right hand precisely draws a U at the same time.

I quite enjoy driving my automatic and would not trade it for a manual. When I drive the canyons, I'm able to drive it faster and take more risk no worrying about what missing a shift. You can enjoy being part of the machine and not have your attention being taken away periodically.

Stickshifts are rare, and if you think that this makes you smarter or better because you drive one, you are an idiot. I flew an airplane and I don't put down people who don't as inferior.
pcguru2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pcguru2000 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (09-04-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 08:49 PM   #128
Swabodda
Magnificent Bastard

Drives: '18 WRB BRZ tS 15/500 - 2013 Tundra
Following my wife's SUV today during my first road trip in the tS and she swerved to miss an upright 5 gallon bucket. I began to swerve too and had to go even harder when the vortex from her passing picked the bucket up and threw it right at my car. Damn this thing is planted! Missed it without issue and never once felt like I might lose control. Posting a picture even though she's a bit dirty (it rained on the way) since this is her first time out in the country.

[IMG][/IMG]
Swabodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:14 AM   #129
Brink

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Drove my BRZ home from work in the dark today, realized the back window is somehow already filthy and I need to clean it soon. Did not crash.
Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:49 PM   #130
DrButtDrugs
yerp

Drives: 2015 WRX
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Dropped my car off yesterday for a new clutch (darn you TOB). Successful voyage free of crashes.
DrButtDrugs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrButtDrugs For This Useful Post:
Ganthrithor (02-03-2019)
Old 09-04-2018, 03:05 PM   #131
Chikna

Drives: 2018 BRZ TS 244/500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrButtDrugs View Post
Dropped my car off yesterday for a new clutch (darn you TOB). Successful voyage free of crashes.
How much would it cost replace a clutch and how long it lasts? I crosses 1,100 miles today with all jerks, bumps, stalls.
Chikna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 03:27 PM   #132
DrButtDrugs
yerp

About $750 parts + labor, did a ton of shopping around for that deal.

Honestly my clutch disk probably still has a good bit of life left in it. It's the throwout bearing that has been making some crunchy noises for the last 2-3 months and recently has been giving me a soft higher-pitched whine while the pedal is depressed. About 76k miles on the stock clutch, replacing w/ Exedy OEM.

Even if this is your first manual and you're a slow learner the clutch should last you 15-20k minimum. You have to really fudge it up to go below that, but it can happen quickly if you slip the clutch and hold revs at 6k for 20 seconds. Whoever changes your clutch will know when they see it
Old 09-05-2018, 08:18 PM   #133
joro2

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium MT (DGM)
Question about BRZ (stock) brakes/hard braking....

I had to make an extremely hard stop earlier, it's the first time since I purchased the car (18 months ago) I had to actually slam super hard on the brakes to stop (and to fortunately avoid someone unexpectedly turning in front of me). I was impressed with how settled the car was under those extreme circumstances, almost no tail sway and not even that loud a tire squeal. In short very graceful and more importantly -- DID NOT CRASH!!
However, immediately after this braking incident I noticed much less travel in the brake pedal, it suddenly became harder, less play, more difficult to press, etc.
I just assumed I overheated the brakes, but in the past (on other vehicles) when overheating I'm used to a softer more spongy feel (fade) rather than a hard pedal w/ less play?
I drove another 15 miles or so of moderate stop and go and the pedal never seemed to return to its normally (perfect) balance between softness and hardness.
Will have to wait a few hours for everything to completely cool down before testing again, but meanwhile any thoughts? (of course the OCD in me is concerned I f*ed something up w/ the braking system).

Last edited by joro2; 09-05-2018 at 11:48 PM.
joro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:25 PM   #134
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcguru2000 View Post
Stickshifts are rare, and if you think that this makes you smarter or better because you drive one, you are an idiot. I flew an airplane and I don't put down people who don't as inferior.
Airplanes fly with no hands, bro

Drove my BRZ today, didn't crash-- which was lucky! I decided to wash my car when it was slow at work. While washing my right rear, I noticed a vacant stud where a lug nut used to be. This got me curious about the other nuts (I just got the car back from the body shop for the repair on my scraped rocker panel)... one missing, one half-unscrewed and completely loose, the rest were finger-snug but only because of the loads from the wheel-- they all turned another half- to 3/4's of a turn with the wrench from the factory toolkit. Except for one. That one (and another one or two on the front right) doesn't even fit the factory wrench, because it's a similar-looking but different-sized nut that doesn't even have the little conical flange on the bottom to interface correctly with the wheel. So basically I was probably close to losing a wheel, and now I need to go shop for new lug nuts (I might just replace all of them).

Lesson learned: don't trust other people to torque your shit or even use the right hardware, apparently. Fuckkkk.
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ganthrithor For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 10:34 AM   #135
DrButtDrugs
yerp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganthrithor View Post
Airplanes fly with no hands, bro

Drove my BRZ today, didn't crash-- which was lucky! I decided to wash my car when it was slow at work. While washing my right rear, I noticed a vacant stud where a lug nut used to be. This got me curious about the other nuts (I just got the car back from the body shop for the repair on my scraped rocker panel)... one missing, one half-unscrewed and completely loose, the rest were finger-snug but only because of the loads from the wheel-- they all turned another half- to 3/4's of a turn with the wrench from the factory toolkit. Except for one. That one (and another one or two on the front right) doesn't even fit the factory wrench, because it's a similar-looking but different-sized nut that doesn't even have the little conical flange on the bottom to interface correctly with the wheel. So basically I was probably close to losing a wheel, and now I need to go shop for new lug nuts (I might just replace all of them).

Lesson learned: don't trust other people to torque your shit or even use the right hardware, apparently. Fuckkkk.
Yeesh. Good thing you found it before it found you.
The Following User Says Thank You to DrButtDrugs For This Useful Post:
Ganthrithor (09-08-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 01:44 PM   #136
Stephen W.

Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Thanked 2,440 Times in 963 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganthrithor View Post
< snip >

Sounds like what happened to the wife. Many years ago she bought a Plymouth Laser AWD Turbo demonstrator. The car had sat for so long that there were age cracks in the tires. Goodyear agreed to put on new tires. As she drove away from the Goodyear store she said the car felt odd. About two blocks away she stopped and got out. She found three missing lug nuts plus ALL the others were lose or about to fall off. She hand tightened them and drove back stopping every so often to look for the missing nuts and re tighten the ones she had left.
Manager just shrugged his shoulders and said, it happens.
The real kicker was that he'd sent his tire tech home due to lack off and had his class A mechanic do the job. The **** wad was so lazy he didn't take of the rim weights off before demounting the original tires. Two of the rims had huge gouges from the machine dragging the weights around. Never did get anything for that.
Stephen W. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen W. For This Useful Post:
Ganthrithor (09-08-2018)
Old 11-22-2018, 09:28 PM   #137
Brink

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Drove my BRZ round trip ~220 miles for thanksgiving today. Before I started this morning I opened the trunk to find a little pool of water collected inside - apparently a large, thick leaf had gotten closed in between the trunk lid and the gasket and let some rain water in. Luckily the liner is waterproof and the 86 logo in it contained all the water. At one point on the trip up sitting in traffic I noticed the girl riding shotgun in the car behind me (a Subaru Legacy) apparently taking a picture of my car. Did not crash.
Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brink For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-23-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 10:48 AM   #138
Victorscp

Drives: 2018 BRZ premium
drove my brz today and didnt crash!
it was my first time driving it to work 2018 premium that i just bought on tuesday
Victorscp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Victorscp For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-30-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 09:33 PM   #139
Stephen W.

Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Thanked 2,440 Times in 963 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
The last time I drove my tS it had rained while I was in shopping. Although I waited until the roads were dry before heading for home I ended up following cars on some wet roads. This left my car filthy!
Of course the cold weather hit and I decided that the dirt would have to wait until a very warm day for me to give it it's first home wash.
Today was sunny and 6c (43f) so, I decided to take my tS out for a spin. I thought; why not drive into town, (half hour drive one way) and take it thru the touchless car wash. I get to the wash and of course there's a line of cars. I had a half hour wait. I noticed when the car ahead of the one in front of me was going in that there was a repairman wearing an orange vest with yellow stripes and yellow hard hat doing something inside. When the car directly in front of me went in I could see him directing the driver. I thought perhaps they were adjusting the beams that triggered the stop and go lights or something like that.
When it was my turn I drove in slowly and stop when the light came on. The workman was nowhere to be seen. The system started but... it only spit out clear liquid, NO SOAP! It did it twice then it laid down a spattering of two colour gloop that I suspect is what passes for wax. This was followed by two passes of high pressure spray to rinse off the car. Finally the machine goes from front to back and forward again dribbling a clear fluid I suspect is to prevent spots.
BUT, with no soap to loosen away the road grime in the first place everything else that followed was a waist. I drove out thru air drier when direct to and stopped in front of the store. I went in and told the manager what had happened. Of course reply was that as soon as she learned of the problem she had the service man come in to fix it. Meanwhile dozens of people like myself are sitting in a line up for half to three quarters of an hour to NOT get our cars washed. I was very loud and she finally printed off a complimentary car wash ticket all the time telling me that it had just happened and it would be fixed quickly. Yea, right...
So I drove back home and guess what? The warm weather caused the roads to sweat and they were now damp to wet in any area that was shaded. You know it, my car looks about the same as when I drove into town. But now there is salt mixed into that filth.
So all tolled, I wasted $13.00 over two hours, not to mention the gas and got very upset in the process. I put only about 80 kms on my car and end up with it no cleaner than before. BUT... I did not crash!
Stephen W. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen W. For This Useful Post:
eastendraceshop (12-20-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 12:13 AM   #140
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,976 Times in 2,195 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Ow!