follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-24-2012, 02:41 PM   #43
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
Yes. But it would require a special stapler, a catapult, and some shaving cream. FYI, the stapler is $15000.

Come on Fatoni, you know the answer to that question...
yeah. i guess what i was looking for was insight pertaining to how the thought process works in order to say things like that with out even a shred of information.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:52 PM   #44
ashtray
As Seen On The Internet

Drives: 2003 WRX, 2013 BRZ, 442
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The chassis seems to be over engineered for the amount of power they gave the car. This is a good thing. When you look at a car and want to make it say "faster/better", you start with the weakest link. In some cars the engine has loads of power but the steering or suspension or chassis isn't up to duty.

The FRS is "held back" by lower hp. Adding hp until something else presents itself as the next weakest link, etc - you can do this until you have a gutted track car. At present though, I think a little more power and the car will still be nicely balanced.
ashtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #45
BigDaddy_Houseboater

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Coming from a drag racing background, I drove an 8.90 altered with 800 hp, then into a 1200 hp altered running 7.24 at 185, I would love to have more power. But at my age, the excellent mileage, amazing subaru reliability of the 2.0 boxer, and the fact that I keep my '06 Tacoma 4x4, I find this the perfect commuter car. My wife likes it, the kids dig it and wanna drive it, and so far, I havent had one bad comment. I take it to the golf course, fly fishing, and just cruising. It's way fun...

I think I will keep it.
BigDaddy_Houseboater is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigDaddy_Houseboater For This Useful Post:
Tigranakert (10-28-2012)
Old 10-28-2012, 09:09 PM   #46
Tigranakert

Drives: Hot Lava FRS 2013
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by showbe View Post

What this guy says does not make sense at all. He says changing things that are minor that improve the car would be pointless and would be better to just get another car. Yet when you get a new car you still would have to do those things again. Maybe not all since a new car might come with a turbo but your telling me that because you get a new car you wont have to do any of that? I would love for you to find me a car that has even half of that done that is stock, that is in the same price range. People are satisfied with the car it is not wrong to add the things he said because those things will not come with a stock car, Maybe some but 75% of the things he said wont, unless you pay a dealership mark up.
I settled with what you said earlier and thanked you, but if you are going to edit your post after that and rant me down, that's not cool- Very Disrespectful.
Make a new post next time (please) and then you can write whatever shit you want.

My connotation of improvements and your's are clearly different. There are steps you can take to improve the performance of your car. Then there are steps you can take to customize your car. When you say "find me a car that has even half of those that is stock," well you obviously would get this car for THAT reason. Did anyone buy this car because they liked the transmission, or the Boxer Engine, or the sheet metal, or the color, or the seats? No, you buy the set of those together... Liking only 25 percent of a car to buy it doesn't make sense IMO, because there is not enough bone on the meat of that to be even considered a working car. In school, 59 percent is a fail (depending on the subject), then looking at 25 percent... that definitely passes huh? You didn't even learn that in school.
Tigranakert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:14 PM   #47
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
With certain cars .... they are better and hold their value better when they are kept entirely stock. I'm referring to Ferraris. Yes ... some will change the exhaust, tint, but everything else is usually kept OEM. Everything else ..... mod away as it is a personal thing. Not practical, but personal.

Just my 0.02
Braces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:01 PM   #48
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Honestly I think all the car needs is better tires, STI springs & struts (none yet), a shorter third gear, and a tune. Then it would probably compete with nearly anything on a track .

This would be about $1500 in parts.

The shorter third gear is the tough one.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:35 AM   #49
showbe
Banned

Drives: A nice one
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigranakert View Post
I settled with what you said earlier and thanked you, but if you are going to edit your post after that and rant me down, that's not cool- Very Disrespectful.
Make a new post next time (please) and then you can write whatever shit you want.

My connotation of improvements and your's are clearly different. There are steps you can take to improve the performance of your car. Then there are steps you can take to customize your car. When you say "find me a car that has even half of those that is stock," well you obviously would get this car for THAT reason. Did anyone buy this car because they liked the transmission, or the Boxer Engine, or the sheet metal, or the color, or the seats? No, you buy the set of those together... Liking only 25 percent of a car to buy it doesn't make sense IMO, because there is not enough bone on the meat of that to be even considered a working car. In school, 59 percent is a fail (depending on the subject), then looking at 25 percent... that definitely passes huh? You didn't even learn that in school.
Rant you down? I just said what you said didnt make sense and you took it as if I were attacking you.

You buy the car because you like it. Adding improvements to it no matter what you do to it you wont be able to get those differences/improvements by getting a different car. The only thing you can do by getting a different car is getting more power but people buy the twins because of the design not because of how much power it has. If you buy another car youll have more power but in the end its still not the same car as the twins.

The things you said vs the things I said the only difference is that I was just being more specific with it. It is in no way different. I could of just listed what you said, but listed the things that you could get with the FR-S as an example of how much more you would need to spend vs what you could get somewhere else other then the dealership.

Ask any person. I doubt they will tell you that they only liked 25% of the car. Anyone who changes with bolt ons/cosmetics do it because of other reasons not because they didnt like the car.

And FYI. The only thing I edited was adding the @Tigranakert.
showbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:01 AM   #50
Tigranakert

Drives: Hot Lava FRS 2013
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
@showbe

"Ask any person. I doubt they will tell you that they only liked 25% of the car."

I got the 25 percent from your post as "Maybe some but 75% of the things he said wont, unless you pay a dealership markup."

and as far as i remember, "What this guy says makes no sense at all" was not there when I thanked you.
Tigranakert is offline   Reply With Quote