follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-20-2015, 07:27 PM   #1
aFe POWER

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
aFe Product Release: Twisted Steel Headers For the 2013-2015 Scion FR-S/ Subaru BR-Z

aFe Power is excited to release the Twisted Steel Header series for the 2013-2015 Scion FR-S/Subaru BR-Z 2.0L. We have track tested and spent countless hours developing these headers in R&D. We tried different designs until we found one that worked the best. The gain was a +10HP and +13lb Ft. lbs of torque increase verified by our in house dyno.

Great care was involved in creating a header that would provide great gains and provide Zero drone. Constructed of mandrel bent 1 5/8” 16 gauge 304 Stainless Steel for a durable long lifespan and a leak free seal. The combination of enlarged diameter and smooth curved piping, helps remove restriction and increased exhaust gas flow for improved throttle response.

We 100% TIG-Weld and hand fabricated our headers in house by certified craftsmen for race proven strength and durability. To eliminate dead space, which can hurt performance, aFe POWER integrates a 4 to 1 Formed collector, optimizing tube lengths to increase exhaust flow velocity which increases torque.

We chose to use a 200 CPSI 48 state legal catalytic converter, which helps outflow and increase performance over stock. You will have all the needed components to create a simple and headache free install with no modifications needed, as well as keeping all your factory sensors intact. We will provide a cat-less option, for those enthusiasts who want the most out of their FR-S/BR-Z.

Quick Data Points:
• Max gains of +10 HP and 13 ft. lbs of torque.
• Constructed of 1 5/8” 16-Guage 304 Stainless Steel for long lasting durability.
• 4-1 Formed collector design increases exhaust gas velocity which increases torque.
• Retains factory sensors.
• 100% TIG-welded in house to increase strength.
• Available with 48 state legal cats or non-catted.

Visit us at www.aFePOWER.com to pre-order or PM me for further questions and pricing.

aFe POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aFe POWER For This Useful Post:
Bonburner (04-27-2015), BWilky (04-21-2016), chaoskaze (05-17-2015), cslntuee (05-02-2015), Hyper4mance2k (04-21-2015)
Old 04-20-2015, 09:40 PM   #2
JohnJuan

Drives: 2013 FR-S, Hot Lava; 2012 Z1000 CBO
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
The gain was a +10HP and +13lb Ft. lbs of torque
Without a tune?

Quote:
1 5/8” 16 gauge 304 Stainless Steel
This is for the runners, I presume? What's the diameter after the collector?

Quote:
aFe POWER integrates a 4 to 1 Formed collector
Any chance we could see the inside of one of those collectors? We love to talk about the insides of collectors.

That dyno chart is nice, and I'd love to see a video of this on a car. That it's a catted option puts it pretty high on my list.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:50 PM   #3
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Gains in torque dip area - always nice. So is cat option. Though by mild gains numbers gained it somewhat seens that it's stock vs header, both at stock tune? Any dyno for headers with tune? Imho worth to post weight vs stock, if ceramic coating is an option and pricing in first post.
Hmm, checked shop link from your sig .. i see that there is also catless header .. but it seems to have same description and same gains mentioned in it as for catted. Surely it should do better then that?
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
aFe POWER (04-21-2015)
Old 04-21-2015, 04:18 AM   #4
Hyper4mance2k
Shadetree Project Ratchet

Drives: series.Blue
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Looks like a great option for the STX people out there who don't want to run a catted UEL header.

Great job @aFe POWER
aFe POWER (04-21-2015)
Old 04-21-2015, 10:44 AM   #5
churchx

Imho it could benefit a bit more from a bit longer runner length till collector (at least for catless header), but i might be wrong.
Still, dyno of these + tune would be nice touch, to see how well it does relative to eg. JDL EL v2 (which also provides both catted & catless).
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
aFe POWER (04-21-2015)
Old 04-21-2015, 01:19 PM   #6
aFe POWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJuan View Post
Without a tune?

Yes sir! Untouched stock tune on the FR-S we tested.

This is for the runners, I presume? What's the diameter after the collector?

Yes it is the runners, but the diameter is 2 1/2 after the collector

Any chance we could see the inside of one of those collectors? We love to talk about the insides of collectors.

That dyno chart is nice, and I'd love to see a video of this on a car. That it's a catted option puts it pretty high on my list.
I will try to get some pictures of the collectors when I get a chance.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:31 PM   #7
aFe POWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Gains in torque dip area - always nice. So is cat option. Though by mild gains numbers gained it somewhat seens that it's stock vs header, both at stock tune? Any dyno for headers with tune? Imho worth to post weight vs stock, if ceramic coating is an option and pricing in first post.
Hmm, checked shop link from your sig .. i see that there is also catless header .. but it seems to have same description and same gains mentioned in it as for catted. Surely it should do better then that?
I don't have anything on weight at the moment, but I will try too get that along with a clip. We will not be offering any options for ceramic coating, but i am sure that is something that someone else can do if you wish, although we don't feel there is a need for it.

The gains provided are from a stock untouched tune, I know with a tune it will gain some more. As far as a dyno sheet, the one posted is for the catted version, and the non catted version should gain you an extra 1 to 2hp on the dyno. But it is something you will not really feel with the good ol' butt dyno
Old 04-21-2015, 01:39 PM   #8
churchx

just +1-2hp? Hmm, weird. Weren't uncatted headers usually bringing much more? Or that was only with tune as most changing header imho also go for tune, if not full, then at least of the shelf one, tu gain full gains from bolt on part and to switch off potential CEL.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:03 PM   #9
aFe POWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
just +1-2hp? Hmm, weird. Weren't uncatted headers usually bringing much more? Or that was only with tune as most changing header imho also go for tune, if not full, then at least of the shelf one, tu gain full gains from bolt on part and to switch off potential CEL.
From some past header designs on other vehicles we have tested with a stock tune, on average seen a increase of +1 or +2hp. Now with a tune you should be able to get the most out of a non catted header, but your right a tune would help eliminate a potential CEL going a full race header would produce. We have not tested this car with un-catted headers, but usually bigger engine displacement cars tend to make more power.

Last edited by aFe POWER; 04-23-2015 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:51 PM   #10
aFe POWER

We have these is stock ready to ship! PM me if you would like to purchase a set!
Old 04-21-2015, 04:56 PM   #11
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aFe POWER View Post
From some past header designs on other vehicles we have tested with a stock tune, on average seen a increase of +1 or +2hp. Now with a tune you should be able to get the most out of a non catted header, but your right a tune would help eliminate a potential CEL going a full race header would produce.
The AFR curves look way different between runs for stock header and with your header fitted.

for some reason your stock header run is way leaner than the OL Fuel table for a stock tune you running AFR leaner than 14.7 at lower rpm and this leanness goes all the way to higher rpm.

The AFR curve you see with your header installed looks normal for a stock tune.

I suspect this leanness may have something to do with the "gains" you are achieving over a stock header.

steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
JohnJuan (04-21-2015), OkieSnuffBox (04-22-2015)
Old 04-23-2015, 11:13 AM   #12
aFe POWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
The AFR curves look way different between runs for stock header and with your header fitted.

for some reason your stock header run is way leaner than the OL Fuel table for a stock tune you running AFR leaner than 14.7 at lower rpm and this leanness goes all the way to higher rpm.

The AFR curve you see with your header installed looks normal for a stock tune.

I suspect this leanness may have something to do with the "gains" you are achieving over a stock header.

The reason it may look off, is because the baseline had a stock paper filter and the header run was conducted with a aFe OER filter. That is why the car is reading more air.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:02 PM   #13
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aFe POWER View Post
The reason it may look off, is because the baseline had a stock paper filter and the header run was conducted with a aFe OER filter. That is why the car is reading more air.
Thanks for reply
The change of filter is probably worth 2 or 3 hp

However never seen a filter alone throw off afr like that , full intake yes , just a filter no.

So your saying a stock car with a stock filter is going to run very lean afr, that curve for stock car on stock filter low rpm afr about 16 and even at full throttle high rpm its only about 13. I think the afr probe was not reading correctly or something weird is going on like the sock run car had an intake or exhaust leak throwing afr off that badly.
If it was actually running that lean it likely knocking quite badly which will have dropped the IAM reducing timing and hence power , skewing the results.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
aFe POWER (04-24-2015)
Old 04-24-2015, 11:22 AM   #14
aFe POWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Thanks for reply
The change of filter is probably worth 2 or 3 hp

However never seen a filter alone throw off afr like that , full intake yes , just a filter no.

So your saying a stock car with a stock filter is going to run very lean afr, that curve for stock car on stock filter low rpm afr about 16 and even at full throttle high rpm its only about 13. I think the afr probe was not reading correctly or something weird is going on like the sock run car had an intake or exhaust leak throwing afr off that badly.
If it was actually running that lean it likely knocking quite badly which will have dropped the IAM reducing timing and hence power , skewing the results.
Our aFe OER filter does flow 57% better then stock. If it is something you are wanting to see, you are more than welcome to purchase the header and see for yourself. We certainly do would not sell anything that would damage anyone's car, as we are car enthusiasts as this gentleman's FR-S is a employee, who has had this header for several months now and has track tested it without any issues . We always post the honest truth, some of our kits for example like the BMW 328i exhaust system only makes +4hp and +5tq and yet we still post it only makes that much. The facts are right there and posted.

If there are any doubts, someone local is more then welcomed to come to our facility after buying our header, and we can run the car on the dyno to prove the results we made
The Following User Says Thank You to aFe POWER For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (04-28-2015)

Tags
afe power, fr-s & brz, header, scion, steveforgottosaymicdrop, subaru